AV Linux MX Edition is here!

Help on all MX Re-spins
drummer

Re: AV Linux MX Edition is here!

#51 Post by drummer »

First, I would like to offer congratulations to both the MX and AV Linux teams for creating what looks to be the distro a lot of musicians who are into Linux have been waiting for. I first tried AV Linux, man I forget it was that long ago, and I thought it was terrific then, yet I was very green to the Linux world, and even though I have used DAW's both in PC as well as software such as Mark of the Unicorn and Cubase, DAW's still intimidated a guy like myself who were accustomed to old 24 track tape machines lol. I don't even use Garageband on my iMac, and I have worked shows like AES in San Francisco years ago. I do live audio mostly, and all my old boxes have gone to the great recycle bin in the sky, after their organs have been harvested, and I am kind of wary doing any production in laptops, because they can fail on you in the most inopportune time, like say when two hours before a scheduled webcast with a former champion during the opening round first golf major championship that season, and the LPGA is your client lol. That has happened, and with luck we had a rescue image to restore with, but thus why I am reluctant to do production on laptops, and a reason why I have yet to build a DAW.

All this being said, I was wondering since I already have MX installed (with Openbox, as I prefer window managers to full on desktop environments) and config'd a bit, if there is a way to add AV on it, like in a meta package or by packages in a repo? I don't at this point need software like Cinelarra, and I try to keep the repo management to a minimum, and integrating AV into this build (that also is going to have the Nix package manager on the side) is for future builds going forward, kind of creating my own ISO that is not for distribution as a spin, rather just a reproducible custom ISO that MX is great for, but with AV and my own choice of window manager.

Again, congrats to both teams, this is very exciting to see it come to fruition, and thanks for all your hard work.

fehlix
Developer

#52 Post by fehlix »

JayM wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:00 am FYI i just burned the 64-bit iso to my flash drive using LUM in dd mode and it burned and booted. When I rebooted from the stick and selected checkfs from the F4 options menu it still booted and I didn't get any error messages.
Where did you downloaded the ISO from? Have you also checked the sha512sum
AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso.sha512
.. and manually checked the antiX/*.md5

Code: Select all

isomount AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso
cd /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/
md5sum -c linuxfs.md5 
In case all those checks are ok, please post the all related checksums,
to avoid any indication of the ISO's are compromised.
Here the checksums I have:
ISO-checksums:

head ./AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso.md5 AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso.sha512 
==> ./AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso.md5 <==
7c12005d3a8b3669f84d536542215062  AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso

==> AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso.sha512 <==
c9000f047581df50dde0558fcab3b2b1c003f63afc7c1105fc2e7249a37c8af9af09c2df9b2a82a77bd17d92ce1bb34f40a466256eec066586f8ca9c87eee05e  AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso
and the anitX/*.md5 checksumsafter running

and

cd /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/
and
head /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/*.md5
gives:

==> /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/initrd.gz.md5 <==
e2d82f4774577e556c2ba6c7a99d53bc  initrd.gz

==> /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/linuxfs.md5 <==
cdaf6aace23e4f2e176001727acb52e3  linuxfs

==> /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/vmlinuz.md5 <==
b4472207b4b2582345b43772abfb38da  vmlinuz
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

AVLinux

#53 Post by AVLinux »

drummer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:20 am First, I would like to offer congratulations to both the MX and AV Linux teams for creating what looks to be the distro a lot of musicians who are into Linux have been waiting for. I first tried AV Linux, man I forget it was that long ago, and I thought it was terrific then, yet I was very green to the Linux world, and even though I have used DAW's both in PC as well as software such as Mark of the Unicorn and Cubase, DAW's still intimidated a guy like myself who were accustomed to old 24 track tape machines lol. I don't even use Garageband on my iMac, and I have worked shows like AES in San Francisco years ago. I do live audio mostly, and all my old boxes have gone to the great recycle bin in the sky, after their organs have been harvested, and I am kind of wary doing any production in laptops, because they can fail on you in the most inopportune time, like say when two hours before a scheduled webcast with a former champion during the opening round first golf major championship that season, and the LPGA is your client lol. That has happened, and with luck we had a rescue image to restore with, but thus why I am reluctant to do production on laptops, and a reason why I have yet to build a DAW.

All this being said, I was wondering since I already have MX installed (with Openbox, as I prefer window managers to full on desktop environments) and config'd a bit, if there is a way to add AV on it, like in a meta package or by packages in a repo? I don't at this point need software like Cinelarra, and I try to keep the repo management to a minimum, and integrating AV into this build (that also is going to have the Nix package manager on the side) is for future builds going forward, kind of creating my own ISO that is not for distribution as a spin, rather just a reproducible custom ISO that MX is great for, but with AV and my own choice of window manager.

Again, congrats to both teams, this is very exciting to see it come to fruition, and thanks for all your hard work.
Hi drummer!

Thanks for the post! Unfortunately MX and AVL are still very much separate entities and at this very early point in time and at this stage of development. AV Linux as a one-man project has always been very ISO-based and MX with it's large community and development team is very repository-based which of course is to it's credit! There is currently no path to crossgrade one to the other at this point in time. That is definitely a future goal of mine but it is going to take a tremendous amount of time and getting up to speed on my part and AVL is already quite a juggle in my spare time.

AVLinux

#54 Post by AVLinux »

fehlix,

I fear I have used a wrong word.. by 'compromised' I did not mean in a security or malware way. I meant if there were flaws or errors in the filesystem that would make the system function improperly or unstable.. I don't think it is a surprise that JayM would have a successful copy to USB using DD, there are not the same md5sum checks with DD are there? Also Jay ran checkfs not md5sum..

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#55 Post by JayM »

I said where i got the iso and that the md5 and sha512 checksums passed in my post #18. viewtopic.php?p=609842#p609842

I can't do

because sudo isn't working on my system today for some reason. It keeps rejecting my password. It's not working in any of my Virtualbox MX installations either, 19.3 or 18.3. Maybe a policy update disabled sudo? (Edit: see my post #57. Wonky shift key on my keyboard combined with mixed-case characters in my password. Fixed by massaging the key. Sudo itself still works.)
Last edited by JayM on Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

drummer

#56 Post by drummer »

AVLinux wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:49 am
drummer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:20 am First, I would like to offer congratulations to both the MX and AV Linux teams for creating what looks to be the distro a lot of musicians who are into Linux have been waiting for. I first tried AV Linux, man I forget it was that long ago, and I thought it was terrific then, yet I was very green to the Linux world, and even though I have used DAW's both in PC as well as software such as Mark of the Unicorn and Cubase, DAW's still intimidated a guy like myself who were accustomed to old 24 track tape machines lol. I don't even use Garageband on my iMac, and I have worked shows like AES in San Francisco years ago. I do live audio mostly, and all my old boxes have gone to the great recycle bin in the sky, after their organs have been harvested, and I am kind of wary doing any production in laptops, because they can fail on you in the most inopportune time, like say when two hours before a scheduled webcast with a former champion during the opening round first golf major championship that season, and the LPGA is your client lol. That has happened, and with luck we had a rescue image to restore with, but thus why I am reluctant to do production on laptops, and a reason why I have yet to build a DAW.

Hi drummer!

Thanks for the post! Unfortunately MX and AVL are still very much separate entities and at this very early point in time and at this stage of development. AV Linux as a one-man project has always been very ISO-based and MX with it's large community and development team is very repository-based which of course is to it's credit! There is currently no path to crossgrade one to the other at this point in time. That is definitely a future goal of mine but it is going to take a tremendous amount of time and getting up to speed on my part and AVL is already quite a juggle in my spare time.
No worries, I understand and appreciate all the hard work you have done over the years, and it's great to have the opportunity to thank you for it personally. I can always try to put it together by assembling what I need using the ISO, although that can be a very tall task for someone of my limited skill lol. I see you have an ISO in Openbox, albeit in 34 bit (which I can install on my old iMac), and I prefer Openbox over XFCE, so I am glad to see AV Linux in Openbox, my window manager of choice.

I hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday, and wish you and your family well for the remainder of the holiday season. Cheers!

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#57 Post by JayM »

I managed to get around the lack of working sudo by running su in a terminal to become root. (Edit: i have some upper-case letters in my password and I discovered that my left shift key is acting up today. Sudo is fine.)

The iso's md5:

$ md5sum AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso
7c12005d3a8b3669f84d536542215062  AVL-MXE-2020.11.23-xfce4-amd64.iso
with the iso mounted:

linuxfs
root@mx-desktop:/mnt/iso/iso1/antiX# md5sum -c linuxfs.md5 
linuxfs: FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match

root@mx-desktop:/mnt/iso/iso1/antiX# head /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/*.md5
==> /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/initrd.gz.md5 <==

==> /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/linuxfs.md5 <==

==> /mnt/iso/iso1/antiX/vmlinuz.md5 <==
From the live USB burned in LUM in dd mode, after booting from it to make sure it works:

$ head *.md5
==> initrd.gz.md5 <==

==> linuxfs.md5 <==

==> vmlinuz.md5 <==
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

drummer

#58 Post by drummer »

I just checked out the vid you have on your site, and from what I understand so far (and I stopped the vid to download the ISO and getting ready to install it lol), you're using Opnebox for the WM in XFCE, instead of XFWM?

It's looks fantastic. Nicely done!

asqwerth
Developer

#59 Post by asqwerth »

I think openbox is only for the 32bit version
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Developer

#60 Post by asqwerth »

AVLinux wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:10 am Hi Jay,

Yes the 32bit uses SliM and is not Autologin, FWIW this is mentioned in the release notes and also on the webpage. You're correct it's "demo"

Due to the issues in this thread and because there was a last minute update to Harrison Mixbus 32C I have decided to upload an updated and fixed 64bit ISO..
Please let us know when it's uploaded so I can grab it. Thanks!
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “MX Respins”