Mirror Down??

manyroads

Mirror Down??

#1 Post by manyroads »

The following mirror is not functioning for me. I changed to the los angeles mirror and things worked fine.

I promise, I did not break it... :eek:

https://mirrors.evowise.com/mxlinux-packages
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Mirror Down??

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

We've been seeing problems with that mirror, and Alex is on top of it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

Jerry3904 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 pm We've been seeing problems with that mirror, and Alex is on top of it.
Thanks @Jerry3904!
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

aledie

#4 Post by aledie »

@manyroads: read here,
http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php? ... 48#p482905

This is the Anycast mirror on the top of MX repo manager's list (basically redirecting request to the closest of their 5+ mirrors worldwide Romania, Spain, Italy, UK, LA, NY...). My idea was giving such a mirror to someone has got no national mirror, say a Mongolian guy (which you are not), I found this one on Mint list... After few weeks testing seems like it isn't completely stable and delayed updates, but maybe because of all this Anycast setup something doesn't function properly yet. But it's what happens when you add new mirrors, you test them, right?

I still don't understand why everyone sticks to this one while having some 12 mirrors in the USA and 5 in Canada!? Or why a guy in Colorado would stick to anycast and not just pick a mirror say in Kansas / Lenexa (or autoselect the fastest)? Just scroll down to the USA part, pick another one, refresh... This is the purpose of a repo manager, to manage repos.

About this Anycast mirror I'm communicating with the maintainers, but if the problem persists, if it isn't just temporary, we shall think about how to list it... Anyway, you can only test things by testing them, same as your shoes or jeans...
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

aledie wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:40 pm @manyroads: read here,

This is the Anycast mirror on the top of MX repo manager's list (basically redirecting request to the closest of their 5+ mirrors worldwide Romania, Spain, Italy, UK, LA, NY...). My idea was giving such a mirror to someone has got no national mirror, say a Mongolian guy (which you are not), I found this one on Mint list... After few weeks testing seems like it isn't completely stable and delayed updates, but maybe because of all this Anycast setup something doesn't function properly yet. But it's what happens when you add new mirrors, you test them, right?

I still don't understand why everyone sticks to this one while having some 12 mirrors in the USA and 5 in Canada!? Or why a guy in Colorado would stick to anycast and not just pick a mirror say in Kansas / Lenexa (or autoselect the fastest)? Just scroll down to the USA part, pick another one, refresh... This is the purpose of a repo manager, to manage repos.

About this Anycast mirror I'm communicating with the maintainers, but if the problem persists, if it isn't just temporary, we shall think about how to list it... Anyway, you can only test things by testing them, same as your shoes or jeans...
I think the short answer is I did not. I selected the option for "Select Fastest MXrepo for me" in MXTools Repo and that's what I get/got. :eek: Perhaps there's an error in that function.
Pax vobiscum,

aledie

#6 Post by aledie »

@manyroads, probably this is really the fastest from your location... considering the mirror itself, it's spec, 10Gbps uplink bw, but there should be some problem or bugs the way it works, hopefully temporary. Mint uses it for quite some time, I'd probably scan their forums.

As said, I'm informing the maintainer of problems reported here meanwhile. If some mirror doesn't work pick another...! It's what I do if I want to have the latest package uploaded - I switch to Utah, instead of waiting upto 12 hours, though Utah gives me sometimes 40Kbs from my location vs. my local mirror 5Mbs

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

aledie wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:40 pm @manyroads: read here,

I may shed some light on that. the "pick fastest repo" button in mx-repo-manager chooses the Anycast mirror, even though my location is much closer to other mirrors.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

If it were me doing the code... I know it's not and we're all better off for that. :number1:
But why have a catch-all mirror be at the top of the list not the 'bottom'? Does the Select the fastest repo for me actually test all the repos (like it does on manjaro for example)? I see nothing to indicate one way of the other. To be honest I did nothing since the anycast function went online. I only selected Select the fastest repo for me when things went south for me today and kept ending up with that mirror. Only when I manually changed to LA did I get something that worked. I have no idea if I have selected a fast mirror or not. I do have one that works, and that's better than having TheFastest option which does not. Methinks something is.... :eek:
Pax vobiscum,

aledie

#9 Post by aledie »

Unfortunately we don't all live in the USA, where speed of internet is so fast, that it would probably make marginl difference whether you use NY or LA repos. Guys in the EU like Germany or UK probably would connect to the USA repos acceptably fast.

In my place I have 5Mbps for a local mirror in my city, 2Mbps for another 400 Miles away, another one 1000 Miles away gives 1 Mbps, and USA is dragging for ages at 40Kbps

Downloading MX iso from the USA takes half an hour, downloading the MX LMDE remix the user recently put on his server in Germany would take... Imagine it 12 hours... so what to do, can we just keep the one works for you and not 50 other users?

The country I live in is advanced enough by the way, there are some less connected. Using a distro without an access to mirrors there would be difficult... Ubuntu would be a logical choice as it is available widely

manyroads

#10 Post by manyroads »

I have no idea where you might live and that actually had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. There is a good (debian) command line way to deal with a bad connection (mirror). I know how to do that in pacman... now I can tell you how to do it in Debian. The following link provides the recommended approach for debian (as far as I can tell).

https://soltveit.org/fastest-debian-mirror/

[humor]If the 1 mirror it picks works, to my mind that is much better than having 'feature' in mx tools/ repo select a mirror that doesn't work. I personally like mirrors that work better, than having one that does not.[/humor] :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “General”