Dedicated application for kernel installation/upgrades

philotux

Dedicated application for kernel installation/upgrades

#1 Post by philotux »

Is it possible (or desirable) to have a dedicated application for kernel installations/upgrades? The user can be notified that there is a new kernel in the test repo for example and can choose to upgrade by picking up the version number alone. With included changelogs etc.

oops

Re: Dedicated application for kernel installation/upgrades

#2 Post by oops »

Hi,
It's a good idea but:
Updating a kernel is always a bit "dangerous" ... it's better to have a working spare kernel in case.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

philotux

#3 Post by philotux »

oops wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:24 pm Hi,
It's a good idea but:
Updating a kernel is always a bit "dangerous" ... it's better to have a working spare kernel in case.
Sure, you're right. At the opening of the app, it could have a warning text, informing the users about the dangers of upgrading to "testing" kernels and remind them of keeping a well working kernel if things go south in the process and how to recover from that by giving the instructions how they could boot into the old working kernel for later removing the "bad" one.

KoO

#4 Post by KoO »

Manjaro and Antergos has an application just like this. You need it...

But having different kernel version oppositions in the grub boot screen will hopefully get you back to the desktop.

Then just uninstall the bad kernel from synaptic or aptiX

I will say this I have never had bad kernel install with antiX or MX which broke the system. Unlike the above.
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

oops

#5 Post by oops »

KoO wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:09 pm ...
I will say this I have never had bad kernel install with antiX or MX which broke the system. Unlike the above.
Never say never:
FI: I had this issue, with MX18 into a virtual machine VirtualBox yesterday (with the latest liquorix 4.20 kernel 32 bits PAE from mx-packageinstaller, kernel tab)
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

philotux

#6 Post by philotux »

KoO wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:09 pm Manjaro and Antergos has an application just like this. You need it...
I had Manjaro's in mind when I thought that it would be nice for MX Linux to have something similar, implementing the same idea in MX LInux -way.

KoO

#7 Post by KoO »

I have never had to do this with MX or antiX after doing the above I would just do sudo update-grub to hopefully remove the uninstalled kernel entry at boot.

I'm not saying any of this would work, this how I would go about it if I had too..

As I do run all the latest kernels on my two main computers with both antiX and MX. See below

philotux Thanks for this topic as it is something to think about...
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

philotux

#8 Post by philotux »

KoO wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:45 pm philotux Thanks for this topic as it is something to think about...
Glad to hear that. Would be nice if the devs find the idea worthwhile to put time and energy in and conceive of such a tool. Personally, I think it will facilitate the whole of kernel management a great deal. It would be a great addition to the already great MX Tools. An mx-kernel-manager :happy:

handy

#9 Post by handy »

Manjaro from my experience is the leader so far as Linux hardware & kernel configuration is concerned via the integration of its Manjaro HardWare Detection (MHWD) applications.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl ... n_Overview

The mhwd-kernel app' has a section all of its own in their wiki:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl ... ro_Kernels

All in all powerful stuff. It keeps on evolving & is primarily the handiwork of Phil Meuler (philm) who's been the main man behind Manjaro for some years now, since the originator got too busy to put any time in (long ago).

Some years ago I wrote a bash (with a tiny bit of python) script for doing all that you can do with mhwd-kernel:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Mhwd-kern.sh
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

philotux

#10 Post by philotux »

Thanks handy! Great input, lots of info! Got to do some reading now.

Return to “General”