[solved] @#$%^*&! SystemD .. the snake strikes again

zimbodel

Re: @#$%^*&! SystemD .. the snake strikes again

#11 Post by zimbodel »

MX works absolutely great with the entire systemD removed.
I never had any purpose fopr it other than messing up great working systems.
It truly is superfluous garbage that truies to do too many things that are done better by separate daemons and programs.

AGAIN, I totally remove systemD and then it works stellar and all my problems disappear with cron not working, sound interference with jack and pulse, alsa that does horrible strange things. etc.
As soon as systemD is gone, these problems resolve...

It seems like no one here ever tried running MX without SyastemD !?
From the responses it sure seems so.

NO, I dont boot the systemD MX kernels. I never will make that mistake again.

The big problem is keeping systemD not to install itself by some dependency I overlooked.
At the moment I first have to grep apt through a pipe to detect systemD before I install anything, but somehow it still installs sometimes.

What will really help me is a means to completely ban systemD from installing through apt/dpkg.
That would be great, but I couldnt find a working solution.

Eadwine Rose wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:05 am As long as you don't boot in systemd when you are in grub (you can select it in advanced) you are not using systemd.
It is there, yes, for those who DO need it.

It's like a browser and google.

You can open a browser and use google. Or not. If you don't want to use google simply don't go there. It will still BE there even if you don't go there, but it won't influence the browser.

If you absolutely want nothing to do with systemd, then you either remove all of it (although I don't know if it is possible to remove the whole thing *shrug*) or use a distro that is completely systemd free, like antiX.

zimbodel

#12 Post by zimbodel »

Rrrightio...

“Your worst dungeon might be the room with the most windows.”

JayM wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:10 am
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired
-Jonathan Swift, from A Letter to a Young Gentleman, Lately Enter’d Into Holy Orders by a Person of Quality (1721)

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb »

I always run MX without systemD. I do not choose it in the boot menu. Therefore I am not running it under systemD.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#14 Post by JayM »

zimbodel wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:34 am It seems like no one here ever tried running MX without SyastemD !?
From the responses it sure seems so.
Personally, I do so every single time I turn on my computer. I simply don't select the systemd init option in the grub boot menu. All of my PCs have been systemd-free since I began using MX.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#15 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Zimbodel

The thing that is happening here is that the post you made has lots of drama in it, as if systemd just ate your youngest child or something, which is what people are going to react to and the actual question you WANT to get an answer to gets overlooked. Think about it, asking plainly what you want to know without all the swearing and stuff around it will get you the answer you want much sooner. :smile:

I wager you really wanted to ask this:

"Can I completely get rid of systemd? I just don't want it installed on my system at all because I don't like it. How do I do that if possible?"

You would have gotten the exact answer you needed in no time, without the need to defend your decision.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#16 Post by JayM »

zimbodel wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:37 am Rrrightio...

“Your worst dungeon might be the room with the most windows.”
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#17 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Hey if Z wants to run systemd-free on the since of it not even installed that ok with me. But MX's repos (and debian's) are not set up for it. At least not without a lot of work. libpam-systemd dpeendecies are usually the culprit.

for those that want to run as systemd-free as possible, they should start with antix (or Devuan but I'm partial to antix)
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#18 Post by JayM »

Or one of these:
(from https://ungleich.ch/en-us/cms/blog/2019 ... t-systemd/)
Alpine Linux, Arctixlinux, Void, Slackware, Gentoo, Funtoo, GUIX, Linux From Scratch, Crux, PCLinuxOS (one of my old favorites.)

asqwerth
Developer

#19 Post by asqwerth »

I think the answer to his question is:

if you want to keep running mx with no systemd-related packages at all, then you are making a choice to have to conduct occasional pruning and package removal whenever certain packages update, because of systemd-related dependencies.

That is inevitable because of the way mx and Debian is set up, as dolphin has explained.

There's no point complaining about your removal struggles, because it's going to keep happening once in a while.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

jeffreyC

#20 Post by jeffreyC »

The problem you have starts with blindly accepting updates without looking at what new dependencies they drag in.
If there is something you want to keep off your computer you must watch what is installed every time.

Return to “Software / Configuration”