f.lux doesn't work

gonzo

f.lux doesn't work

#1 Post by gonzo »

In the MX manual there is the recommendation for f.lux if you want a blue filter for the night. I use f.lux successfully in Windows since years.
So installed it with the help of MX-Packet Installer and wrote my attitude but it does not adjust my color.
If I click on preview it adjust it only for few seconds. And if I check on ''Pause'' and uncheck it again it adjust the color for few seconds.

What to do?

- 23"Asus VS238H LED
- AMD Radeon HD6570

Don't even know if there is a AMD driver installed.
Seems like it is installed.

I tried redshift but it works but has almost no options.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: f.lux doesn't work

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Don't know about that. But the good news is that in MX-19 you will see Color Profiles from Xfce 4.14, which may well replace it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by JayM »

I get no results when I search the manual for f.lux so I have no idea where you're finding a recommendation to use it.

To automatically change your screen's color temperature at night just install redshift-gtk and geoclue-2.0, set it up to autostart, and forget it. If you find that you need to configure or tweak redshift's settings, instructions for doing so may be found on that project's website:
http://jonls.dk/redshift/
however most people find that when used in conjunction with geoclue the default settings work out of the box.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stuart_M

#4 Post by Stuart_M »

gonzo wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:41 pm I tried redshift but it works but has almost no options.
Redshift has only a couple things that can be changed from the Panel icon (enable/disable and autostart enable/disable). However there are more settings available using the configuration file that can be changed with a text editor, like day and night color temperatures to mention just one.

The configuration file should be in ~/.config/redshift.config. If it's not there (.config is a hidden folder in your username directory) then just create the redshift.config file. The Redshift website http://jonls.dk/redshift has an example configuration file and has a lot of information about it.

Regarding color change, the gamma can be adjusted either individually (red/green/blue) or all three with one numerical value, by day and/or night.

Like you, I got accustomed to f.lux (in Windows) and really liked it. I think it has a far superior user interface. The graphical time and temperature display is very clear and is easier to use (adjust), but it doesn't play well in Linux. I think Redshift is as close as you can get to f.lux in Linux. Once you have it configured you can forget it.

Edit: After re-reading your post several times about a blue filter for the night, I sense that you just want to be able to have more control over the color temperature of your monitor, especially at night. More blue is wanted for the daytime (6500K is normal) and more red for nighttime (3500K is typical). Using the configuration file can easily adjust this variable by entering a color temperature. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by JayM »

OK, I've found fluxgui in the stable repo, installed it and entered my latitude and longitude. I'll find out whether or not it works in around 7 to 8 hours when the sun goes down, but before I entered those values it did already change the temperature of my screen so that part appears to be working. I did notice that after previewing the various color temperature selections it wouldn't stop previewing them until I closed then restarted fluxgui. I'll just leave it alone now and see what happens this evening.

I can see already that redshift offers a much wider range of settings via its redshift.conf file. You can set the start and stop times and really fine tune the colors just the way you want them. Fluxgui only offers 5 or 6 different color temperatures to choose from and most of them are too red and too dim for me (I selected "sunlight" as it seems to be the best, with just a slight shift toward the red spectrum. Anything redder and I have trouble seeing the screen.)
Last edited by JayM on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stuart_M

#6 Post by Stuart_M »

As an aside, when using geoclue-2.0 with redshift you are stuck with your current location for the time that the day/night transition takes place because you cannot select your location - it is done automatically. This is good for the majority of people, however for those that want the transition at a time other than the local sunrise/sunset time, the only way to do that is to enter a custom location more east or west. This will "change" the sunrise/sunset time manually either in the configuration file or as an autostart command (I can give an example of this). For example, I had mine set to three time zones west of me since I would go to bed at about 0200.

f.lux (in Windows) easily does this time difference by allowing a user to enter their longitude/latitude location (or zipcode - although a zipcode isn't going to help if you select a location over an ocean...).

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

Stuart_M wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:00 pm f.lux (in Windows) easily does this time difference by allowing a user to enter their longitude/latitude location (or zipcode - although a zipcode isn't going to help if you select a location over an ocean...).
Or if you live elsewhere than in the USA. BTW you can do the same thing in redshift by adding your location information as a switch at the command-line, in your launcher or in your Whisker menu item. There's an example given on the project's home page for Copenhagen, Denmark. That's probably what you've done in your autostart command.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

Update: f.lux is working for me on this system. I've changed the color temperature from sunlight to flourescent, which still looks OK now that it's nighttime.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-5-686-pae i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18.3_386 Continuum May 26  2019 
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
Machine:   Type: Netbook System: AVERATEC product: N1130 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: AVERATEC model: N1130 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix 
           v: NAPA0001.86C.0056.D.0907311757 date: 07/31/09 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 0.2 Wh condition: 0.2/2.1 Wh (10%) model: AVERATEC N1130 
CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: Intel Atom N270 bits: 32 type: MT arch: Bonnell rev: 2 
           L2 cache: 512 KiB 
           flags: nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 6384 
           Speed: 1596 MHz min/max: 800/1600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1596 2: 1596 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 1024x600~60Hz, 1280x1024~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 1.4 Mesa 18.2.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-5-686-pae 
Network:   Device-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 
           port: 18e0 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
           v: kernel port: 2000 bus ID: 04:00.0 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 18.12 GiB (16.2%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Gigabyte model: GP-GSTFS31120GNTD size: 111.79 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 107.04 GiB used: 17.91 GiB (16.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0 
           ID-2: /boot size: 487.9 MiB used: 75.9 MiB (15.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 136.0 MiB (6.6%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
           1: deb http://it.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch/ stretch main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.hk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.hk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
           2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list 
           1: deb http://it.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
Info:      Processes: 189 Uptime: 10h 16m Memory: 1.90 GiB used: 882.5 MiB (45.4%) 
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.33 

Return to “Software / Configuration”