Locked out after last update MX 18

KBD

Locked out after last update MX 18

#1 Post by KBD »

I have a weird problem I have not run into before. I just ran updates on MX 18 and now not only does it no longer auto login, it won't take my user or root password but keeps me at the login screen.
Any help appreciated.
Edit: only other thing besides updates is that I ticked 'configure new displays when connected' because I was having to startx to get my full desktop as it did not always fully load at boot and I thought that might help.

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Locked out after last update MX 18

#2 Post by asqwerth »

Is caps lock on?

Silly question, but no harm asking
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

penguin

#3 Post by penguin »

KBD wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:36 pm I have a weird problem I have not run into before. I just ran updates on MX 18 and now not only does it no longer auto login, it won't take my user or root password but keeps me at the login screen.
Any help appreciated.
Edit: only other thing besides updates is that I ticked 'configure new displays when connected' because I was having to startx to get my full desktop as it did not always fully load at boot and I thought that might help.
What does mean do not take root/user password ? Similar case happens to some one in MX Linux times ago. She was not able to login after some updates. Mx Lnux does not recognized rrot/user passwords. Assisted by me online, she was able to reset root password as described in the the follow link:

Code: Select all

https://www.maketecheasier.com/reset-root-password-linux/
As per ''configure new displays'' can you describe better in detail ? Have you changed something in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf ?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Is the partition with your home folder on it full?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:45 am Is caps lock on?

Silly question, but no harm asking
No, but good point.

KBD

#6 Post by KBD »

penguin wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:27 am

What does mean do not take root/user password ? Similar case happens to some one in MX Linux times ago. She was not able to login after some updates. Mx Lnux does not recognized rrot/user passwords. Assisted by me online, she was able to reset root password as described in the the follow link:

Code: Select all

https://www.maketecheasier.com/reset-root-password-linux/
As per ''configure new displays'' can you describe better in detail ? Have you changed something in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf ?
Thanks. I used a separate root and user password. This is on my MX Plex server. I have it set to autologin, it has always been so. I ran updates and rebooted and it took me to a login screen but would not accept my user login, and I tried my root login just in case it might work, but no luck.

KBD

#7 Post by KBD »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:12 am Is the partition with your home folder on it full?
No, about 60% and everything is on the root partition.
With this added login issue I just decided to call it and switch back to Ubuntu on this machine as Plex seems to be less of a hassle on Ubuntu. I've had issues a couple of times with Plex on this machine, and between screen resolution issues as well I think I will might fewer headaches. Debian has always been more of a problem with Plex than Ubuntu.

Return to “Software / Configuration”