Genealogy Software

KBD

Genealogy Software

#1 Post by KBD »

What genealogy software do you folks use?
I've nearly always used Gramps, but I'm getting less and less happy with it. The past few iterations have seemed increasingly buggy with warnings about modules not loading.
I'm wondering what other options are available for Linux, any you would recommend?
Thanks.

Gordon Cooper

Re: Genealogy Software

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I've been using Gramps for years but am also not happy with recent changes. Currently trying out Ancestris which uses the standard ged system. It runs OK on MX.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

handy

#3 Post by handy »

My father was into it big time. He travelled the world to talk to people (some even came to Oz & stayed with my parents).

Anyway, he used Personal Ancestral File
(PAF), from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is now discontinued software, though that certainly isn't a deal breaker. It works great in WINE, & it is free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Ancestral_File

https://www.thoughtco.com/personal-ance ... -2-1420774
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

GuiGuy

#4 Post by GuiGuy »

I use Gramps and (on MSWindows) Brothers Keeper.
Also use a cloudy one: geni.com.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#5 Post by chrispop99 »

I've been using a proprietary software on Windows, RootsMagic. I was able to import the gedcom file from that into Ancestris, and it worked perfectly. I recommend it.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

Here are a bunch of pointers to other kinds of Genealogy & Research tools and materials I provide freely for your use:
http://www.many-roads.com/tips-opinions-pointers/

And several dozen articles, mostly written during the last 10 years, on Genealogy Software.
http://www.many-roads.com/?s=software
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

nathan2423

#7 Post by nathan2423 »

@Handy -- I was never able to get my Personal Ancestral File to work in wine because I kept getting weird character sets indicating that I was having some kind of unicode issue. I looked and looked and saw reference somewhere that I needed the "all languages" edition of PAF in order to get past that problem. I don't suppose you have a link where that version is available?

KBD

#8 Post by KBD »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:50 pm I've been using Gramps for years but am also not happy with recent changes. Currently trying out Ancestris which uses the standard ged system. It runs OK on MX.
Will take a look at Ancestris. Thanks!

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

KBD

#10 Post by KBD »

I'm leaning toward the idea of just keeping my tree updated at Ancestry.com with regular downloads for backups. That way I can work on it from any computer. I also have done my dna there and can look at some of the connections. I don't have a membership, but can still access my tree. The one thing I don't like about Ancestry is that they 'monetize' your family tree even if you make it public. Without a membership you have a limited view of the public family trees of other members. It's worth the occasional subscription as their records are amazing. With a short trial membership I found a ton of information I could not have gotten otherwise. But always a good idea to backup the tree and have software for viewing the gedcom file off line when needed.

Return to “Software / Configuration”