MX-17/18 - How to fix KDE from MXPI - a work in progress

dreamer

MX-17/18 - How to fix KDE from MXPI - a work in progress

#1 Post by dreamer »

IT'S NOT AS EASY AS I THOUGHT. READ WHOLE THREAD BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

I installed it on two different occasions. Theming was broken both times. What's wrong? Missing recommended packages? No, I found the answer on the forum.

You need to modify /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig so that KDE isn't affected by Qt theming in Xfce.

Forum user baldyeti has provided a modified 98qtconfig that will not modify Xfce, but allow independence for KDE and LXQt. Your 98qtconfig should look like this:

Code: Select all

case "$XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" in 
        KDE|LXQt)       ;;      # no-op
        *)
                export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2
                export QT_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2
                export QT_PLATFORM_PLUGIN=gtk2
                ;;
esac
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=45040&start=10#p446075

This has been tested with KDE and it will give you working themes and icons. If you still have graphical problems you can go to Settings > Display > Compositor and try some things:

1. Enable compositor at start-up
2. Set Vsync to Never
3. Uncheck "Allow programs to disable compositor" (this gave me working compositor)
Last edited by dreamer on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX-17/18 - How to fix KDE from MXPI - it's easy

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I would have thought our base file would have prevented that from happening in the first place. Here's the current version:

# Set QT variables to only pass to gtk2 Xfce environment
# /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig
#
BASESTARTUP=$(basename "$STARTUP" | cut -d\  -f1)
if [ "$BASESTARTUP" = x-session-manager ]; then
    BASESTARTUP=$(basename $(readlink /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager))
fi
case "$BASESTARTUP" in
  xfce4-session|startxfce4)
      #set qt environment variables to follow gtk2
    ;;
esac
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dreamer

#3 Post by dreamer »

No, both times theming completely broken (fully up to date with MX repo).

Unfortunately I just checked Xfce and the solution I posted does seem to affect Xfce (fonts and theming slightly).

I always said don't mix KDE with other desktops. I think I stick to that statement.

(If you don't theme KDE and the GTK module in KDE you can use Dolphin etc. in Xfce without problems - but then you are not using KDE just KDE applications).

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

dreamer wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:15 pm No, both times theming completely broken (fully up to date with MX repo).

Unfortunately I just checked Xfce and the solution I posted does seem to affect Xfce (fonts and theming slightly).

I always said don't mix KDE with other desktops. I think I stick to that statement.

(If you don't theme KDE and the GTK module in KDE you can use Dolphin etc. in Xfce without problems - but then you are not using KDE just KDE applications).
ok, we may need to look at that script again. your "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" might be more appropriate.

dreamer

#5 Post by dreamer »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:20 pm
dreamer wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:15 pm No, both times theming completely broken (fully up to date with MX repo).

ok, we may need to look at that script again. your "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" might be more appropriate.
Do you know which package I can find /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig in? I went to the grocery store and then remembered that I had some pinned packages. Now I have updated everything that can possibly contain your version but I don't have it.

Maybe your script works. I can try it. It would be nice to know which package it is supposed to be in, because it's kind of strange that I don't have it.

What might be a bigger problem is that it's only a Qt config file so GTK theming is a separate problem? I had everything set up in KDE but that tweaked GTK theming and fonts in Xfce (I wrote my how-to before I knew that - I play with too many snapshots) so adjustments have to be made for GTK too.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

dreamer wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:56 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Do you know which package I can find /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig in? I went to the grocery store and then remembered that I had some pinned packages. Now I have updated everything that can possibly contain your version but I don't have it.

Maybe your script works. I can try it. It would be nice to know which package it is supposed to be in, because it's kind of strange that I don't have it.

What might be a bigger problem is that it's only a Qt config file so GTK theming is a separate problem? I had everything set up in KDE but that tweaked GTK theming and fonts in Xfce (I wrote my how-to before I knew that - I play with too many snapshots) so adjustments have to be made for GTK too.
desktop-defaults-xfce-mx17

dreamer

#7 Post by dreamer »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 pm desktop-defaults-xfce-mx17
The script you posted is supposed to be in 56xfce4-qtconfig. I have that one, but I recently updated desktop-defaults-xfce-mx17 and didn't think it would matter because I was looking for 98qtconfig

I will run with default config files and see how that goes. But it's also a GTK problem, right? because there is no GTK config and KDE and Xfce clearly interfere in GTK theming.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

dreamer wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:19 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 pm desktop-defaults-xfce-mx17
The script you posted is supposed to be in 56xfce4-qtconfig. I have that one, but I recently updated desktop-defaults-xfce-mx17 and didn't think it would matter because I was looking for 98qtconfig

I will run with default config files and see how that goes. But it's also a GTK problem, right? because there is no GTK config and KDE and Xfce clearly interfere in GTK theming.
the environment variables

are only supposed to go into affect when xfce is in use. for any other session, whatever that default is should be used. I have no idea how to theme gtk apps in KDE.

dreamer

#9 Post by dreamer »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:28 pm

Is that what the 98qtconfig file is supposed to look like? I think it looked like that before I changed it.
dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:28 pm I have no idea how to theme gtk apps in KDE.
KDE has a GTK module in Settings that themes GTK 2 and 3. It will affect GTK theming in KDE but also in Xfce. What you set in KDE will be displayed in Xfce but it's actually more of a mix between GTK settings in KDE and Xfce.

Anyway, this is unnecessary complicated. Adrian has made a fine MX KDE spin.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX-17/18 - How to fix KDE from MXPI - a work in progress

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I don't think we ever actually packaged the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig file. desktop-defaults-xfce-mx17 actually removes it if its found to match the default file we were working with at the time.

the new file is here: https://github.com/MX-Linux/desktop-def ... 4-qtconfig but you should get it automatically with desktop-defaultx-xfce-mx17.

one thing...on mx19 the desktop-defaults packages will be removable independent of each other, so you won't need the xfce one for a kde spin, for instance.

Return to “Software / Configuration”