[WORKAROUND] WiFi issues with MX 18 on laptop

wasd

Re: WiFi issues with MX 18 on laptop

#41 Post by wasd »

see what happens when it's completely "brand new"
But mine is completely fresh and new. I installed it, about, a week ago. I have just customized panel, added Conky, installed Skype, Python3.7, Dota 2 and VIM. That's, probably it. I had once screwed things up, by adding external ppa and updating >1000 packages, only to find out that one shouldn't do this. After this I reinstalled system anew, ah yes and I added 5.1.11 kernel.

I found this git repo https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmwar ... 9377/hw1.0. And it's content differs from mine, I see it has been updated 2 months ago, maybe I should replace all my QCA9377 folder with content of this repo? Might it work?
Last edited by wasd on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#42 Post by JayM »

If you boot from the live USB, enable wifi, and connect to your router's SSID do you still have the issues?

Have you tried installing a newer kernel than 4.19 such as antiX 5.1.x?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

wasd

#43 Post by wasd »

@JayM, sorry, have you read this branch fully? Yes, it works fine under live USB and yes, I have installed kernel 5.1.11.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#44 Post by JayM »

wasd wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:22 am @JayM, sorry, have you read this branch fully? Yes, it works fine under live USB and yes, I have installed kernel 5.1.11.
I skimmed the thread but didn't study it in full as it's already up to five pages, and thus far I haven't been involved as you seemed to be in capable hands already.

If it works fine on the live USB I assume that it's not a hardware issue with your wifi gear but instead that something has happened to your installed system. So I third the idea of either installing fresh into another partition or simply reinstalling in your existing partition. Perhaps something glitched out during the installation a week ago: a power spike, or your CPU got hit by a cosmic ray and a bit flipped (which sounds really weird but it's actually been proven to happen), or something. You may also want to run GSmartControl and test your disk to make sure it's OK, just to eliminate that possibility.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Huckleberry Finn

#45 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Meanwhile, yesterday I installed AntiX Beta2 32bit to another partition. Though it's a beta, everything looked fine and my usb wireless adapter was working normally (I didn't check the built-in one) on live session, but on the installed system no devices, nothing about the adapter and built-in device.. Really interesting.

Yes, we can say that's not finished, not stable but when live, everything with internet is ok and when installed, no devices, no connection.. :confused:

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#46 Post by JayM »

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:56 am Meanwhile, yesterday I installed AntiX Beta2 32bit to another partition. Though it's a beta, everything looked fine and my usb wireless adapter was working normally (I didn't check the built-in one) on live session, but on the installed system no devices, nothing about the adapter and built-in device.. Really interesting.

Yes, we can say that's not finished, not stable but when live, everything with internet is ok and when installed, no devices, no connection.. :confused:
That's odd. Maybe something to do with dkms modules? :scratches head:

Huckleberry Finn

#47 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

wasd wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:37 amMight it work?
Nothing to lose :) . But I believe it can work.

I also wonder what would happen (both live and installed) with another device.. A wireless usb adapter.. Maybe there wouldn't be any issues with it and we could say for sure it's related to that Qualcomm device specifically but not the system (though it works fine when live)..

Maybe something doesn't get installed related to that..

You can also try this command as mentioned in previous pages:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-firmware
Last edited by Huckleberry Finn on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#48 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Can you make a separate topic about the ram issue so this wifi one doesn't get derailed? Thanks.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Huckleberry Finn

#49 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Oh, I remember one more thing: At first page, I noticed that your Essid is "Hidden".
ESSID:"<wifi name>"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 10:FE:ED:59:41:FE
No matter hidden or not, this may be useful (i.e. I do this though mine is not hidden, it will strengthen the connection since it will lock the connection to the access point's and your device's mac numbers )

On network manager right-click, Edit connections and your connection ..

On the tab "Wi-Fi" , click on the boxes "BSSID" and "Device" and click on the mac numbers that appear (10:FE:ED:59:41:FE for Bssid and the other (whatever it is) and save it when the boxes are full with the mac numbers... (then turn off & on, the wifi device on laptop)

Maybe it helps not to lose connection. No harm..

wasd

#50 Post by wasd »

Oh, WiFi name is not hidden I just hid it in the output.
Also, I have nothing in the BSSID field

I cant run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-firmware
Gives E: Unable to locate package linux-firmware

I will get the WiFi dongle and try with it, but I think issue is related to my particular QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter. I hope it could be solved without additional dongle, since Ubuntu worked without problems and live MX works good.
Can you make a separate topic about the ram issue so this wifi one doesn't get derailed? Thanks.
Sorry, @Eadwine Rose, I don't understand, what ram issue?

@JayM, not sure it has something to do with installation, since I experienced this issue both times I installed fresh system.

Return to “Software / Configuration”