[WORKAROUND] WiFi issues with MX 18 on laptop

Huckleberry Finn

Re: WiFi issues with MX 18 on laptop

#51 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

wasd wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:24 amSorry, @Eadwine Rose, I don't understand, what ram issue?
:D that was to me.. And I deleted the post which was off topic ...

Nothing in BSSID even when you click on it? You can also type or copy & paste from here:

Code: Select all

10:FE:ED:59:41:FE
(the number of your modem device.)

(and the one you entered 28:...55:DB is QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter's number, that's ok..).

In fact it needs to appear when you click on its box.. interesting..

(Just have a check the numbers with sudo inxi -F and iwconfig when it looks connected)

(Actually you posted the output of inxi -F in the first page but the mac number appears when you do it with sudo.. )

Since you say it's not hidden, these are not a "must" but "maybe improves" things..

As an alternative again, if you like you can begin using the usb as persistent (if there's enough space, it will tell you) and use it as if MX was installed there, with updates, upgrades, customizations.. Also you can compare things with it..

Just for info: https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/do ... tence.html

F5 at the beginning, then persist all or static root persistence

P.S. If nothing appears when you click on BSSID's box, when you have time, can you have a look what's it like on live session when internet's working? Does anything appear there? (I guess, yes) - just curiosity..-

wasd

#52 Post by wasd »

Ok, I found the BSSID, maybe, I missed it first time. When I set BSSID to mac value, I had WiFi kind of working: It never dropped dead, but instead was VERY slow, point something Kb/s and loaded system very much.

On Manjaro forum I found similar situation and issue was that instead of /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-6.bin, kernel loaded /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-5.bin. So I followed the advice and renamed firmware-6.bin to firmware-5.bin. So far WiFi seems to work, but this happened too many times already.

Tomorrow I will get WiFi dongle and if my current solution won't work - will try with the dongle...

Damn, I'm so eager to finally add [SOLVED] to this topic title :D

Huckleberry Finn

#53 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

wasd wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:27 pmDamn, I'm so eager to finally add [SOLVED] to this topic title :D
:D

Yes, but it's obvious that Qualcomm Atheros .. devices are known to be problematic: as you search, full of the same issue with the same device(s) with different distros...

So if yours happen to be solved, many people will benefit reading these pages later. That makes me feel good :)

Waiting for the good news "excitedly" .

Huckleberry Finn

#54 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Meanwhile, these two are really interesting (and also supports me that these devices are "notorious" ):

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-qca9 ... g/51196/11
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-qca9 ... 1/68194/10

And:
Create a script for restarting your wifi.

Paste the following script contents into a new document in your favorite text editor:

#!/bin/bash
sudo nmcli networking off
sleep 1
sudo systemctl stop NetworkManager
sleep 1
sudo ip link set wlan0 down
sleep 1
sudo modprobe -r ath10k_pci
sleep 2
sudo modprobe -r ath10k_core
sleep 2
sudo modprobe ath10k_pci
sleep 2
sudo ip link set wlan0 up
sleep 1
sudo systemctl start NetworkManager
sleep 2
sudo nmcli networking on
sleep 1
exit
Save the script as:

~/.config/bin/wifi_restart.sh
Make the script executable:

chmod +x ~/.config/bin/wifi_restart.sh
Once you have the script saved and made executable, you can set it to execute automatically with a systemd service, otherwise you will need to call the script manually or via a bash alias, etc.

In most cases, the main issue causing problems recently with this adapter is incompatible firmware. If you are using the version 6 firmware, you must upgrade to kernel 4.19 for the adapter to function. If you must remain on a lower version of the kernel such as 4.14, then you must delete the version 6 firmware. For your adapter to function properly with kernel 4.14 you must use the version 5 firmware.

P.S. The script is ready for your use, I've changed "ip link set" to "wlan0" already according to yours.
If it doesn't work, you can also start MX with Systemd and then try (manually starting first).

Note that you can also save it to somewhere else (i.e. Documents) and start manually. (Furthermore, can create a keyboard shortcut)

And those who may read and want to apply this, should change wlan0 in the script to theirs (whatever it is) (can see it with: inxi -n or iwconfig simply).
Last edited by Huckleberry Finn on Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Huckleberry Finn

#55 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

wasd wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:27 pmSo I followed the advice and renamed firmware-6.bin to firmware-5.bin. So far WiFi seems to work
So, according to the advice above, you can try this: just leave one of them (the original ones, not renamed.. 5.bin and 6.bin) one by one in the folder and reboot and try.

With only /..../6.bin (the other moved to somewhere else..)
and then only /.../5.bin in the folder ..

This may seriously work..

Sparky

#56 Post by Sparky »

buy a simple RBPi USB dongle and work it as much as you want. Place in in any usb slot and watchit work like a champ!
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

Huckleberry Finn

#57 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Sparky wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:23 pmPlace in any usb slot and watch it work like a champ
That's it ! :happy:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#58 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Not ANY ;) it could be that it won't work well in the faster USB 3.0 and up ones.

But that is a matter of trial and error and whether you dual boot. In Linux it was fine, and Windows decided it did not like it in that port so I switched it to another and now both OSs are happy. :laugh:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

wasd

#59 Post by wasd »

Ok, renaming firmware didn't did the trick, issue still remains. Today I got WiFi dongle and WiFi seem to work so far (damn, I've wrote this phrase so many times on this branch :D). I don't really like solution with the usb dongle, since I have just 3 usb slots and can't say I want to buy USB multiplier, or how this thing is called in English.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#60 Post by Eadwine Rose »

A USB hub I think.

And I hear ya!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “Software / Configuration”