Pinta makes Problems by INstallation on MX18.3

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Pinta makes Problems by INstallation on MX18.3

#11 Post by JayM »

Or at this point, just reinstall MX and don't add any more Ubuntu PPAs. Only install apps from the MX Package Installer, from the Popular Applications or Stable Repo tabs.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

dreamer

#12 Post by dreamer »

JayM wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 am Only install apps from the MX Package Installer, from the Popular Applications or Stable Repo tabs.
Since the Mono packages are buggy in Debian Stretch, Pinta will crash. You do need to update the Mono packages from the Mono Project's Stretch repo for Pinta to work correctly in MX Linux. Once you have a working Pinta you can disable that repo again.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=46507

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#13 Post by JayM »

dreamer wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:50 pm
JayM wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 am Only install apps from the MX Package Installer, from the Popular Applications or Stable Repo tabs.
Since the Mono packages are buggy in Debian Stretch, Pinta will crash. You do need to update the Mono packages from the Mono Project's Stretch repo for Pinta to work correctly in MX Linux. Once you have a working Pinta you can disable that repo again.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=46507
I've been using Pinta 1.6-2 from the stable repo for months and I've never had to install Mono from elsewhere. I just have mono runtime also from Stable, 4.6.2.7. Never had an issue with Pinta crashing.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

dreamer

#14 Post by dreamer »

JayM wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:19 pm I've been using Pinta 1.6-2 from the stable repo for months and I've never had to install Mono from elsewhere. I just have mono runtime also from Stable, 4.6.2.7. Never had an issue with Pinta crashing.
Can you open a picture (jpg or png) from the Pinta File menu and work with it without Pinta closing or misbehaving?

I think that was the problem.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#15 Post by JayM »

dreamer wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:54 pm
JayM wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:19 pm I've been using Pinta 1.6-2 from the stable repo for months and I've never had to install Mono from elsewhere. I just have mono runtime also from Stable, 4.6.2.7. Never had an issue with Pinta crashing.
Can you open a picture (jpg or png) from the Pinta File menu and work with it without Pinta closing or misbehaving?

AHA! Yes, you're right. I've always been right-clicking on the picture and selection open with Pinta from within Thunar. Opening one from within Pinta itself causes Pinta to close. I'll investigate updating my mono version. Thanks for the tip.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#16 Post by JayM »

JayM wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:55 pm
dreamer wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:54 pm

AHA! Yes, you're right. I've always been right-clicking on the picture and selection open with Pinta from within Thunar. Opening one from within Pinta itself causes Pinta to close. I'll investigate updating my mono version. Thanks for the tip.
Edit: following the instructions here for Debian 9 broke apt on my system and I had to reinstall from a snapshot:
https://www.mono-project.com/download/s ... lin-debian
I think it would be better to ask the devs for a new version of mono, then people can just install it from the MX repos. I've just done this.

Return to “Software / Configuration”