[SOLVED] Centred windows and Bluetooth applet

Seagasm

[SOLVED] Centred windows and Bluetooth applet

#1 Post by Seagasm »

Good morning all, I have installed MX18-3 on my Toshiba Qosmia F60 and I am very much delighted and impressed with this operating system. It is a bit of a learning curb having come from MS Windows but then, that's computers for you isn't it?

A couple of things I have noticed which I found a little irritable, 1) When opening a new window, terminal or file manager whatever, I would like them to open centered on the screen instead of top left corner. They require me to centre on the screen manually. 2) When connected to a Bluetooth device, the Bluetooth applet on the Xfce desktop does not change colour to indicate that I am connected. 3) In light of the more recent kernel problem, not that the update gave me a problem, can updates be selective? 4) Wouldn't it be great if I could update my iPhone6S music playlist with Clementine? Has anyone out there mastered this?

All in all, MX-18 is a very nice distribution, my thanks to it's developers. I have been watching the response on DistroWatch.com, very impressive to say the least.
Last edited by Seagasm on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MX-21.2.1 default user, Toshiba Qosmio F60 model laptop, Boot 5.10.0-19 BTRFS amd-64 Sysytem.

Nite Coder
Developer

Re: Centred windows and Bluetooth applet

#2 Post by Nite Coder »

Hello and welcome to MX! I unfortunately can only help you with your first problem. If you run the Window Manager Tweaks and got to the Placement tab. There is an option for centered placement and just slide the bar for 'Minimum size of windows to trigger smart placement all the way to the right. This enables putting all windows in the center to start.
Last edited by Nite Coder on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seagasm

#3 Post by Seagasm »

Nite Coder, thank you for your prompt reply, I have the Window Manager open but there is no Placement Tab. There is a Title Alignment which is centered but nothing else to support centering the window when opening.
MX-21.2.1 default user, Toshiba Qosmio F60 model laptop, Boot 5.10.0-19 BTRFS amd-64 Sysytem.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Not Wndow Manager, but Window Manager Tweaks,
2) I just tested the BT pairing with my smartphone, and I don't get the icon to change to blue either even though it successfully pairs. Hadn't noticed that--but have no suggestions ATM.
3) Sure. Use Synaptic, click reload, select what you want to upgrade and press Apply. Details in Section 5 of the Users Manual.
4) No clue, I use Android. A web search on "Clementine sync iphone" should give an idea if you haven't done that yet.

Welcome to the Forum!

EDIT: we need to check whether libappindicator is installed, will look when I get back on MX-18...libappindicator1 is iinstalled. Rats.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

Now on MX-18, BT is dark or once absent. I launch Bluetooth Manager, and the icon appears in the Notification Area and is blue. It is connected to bluez on my laptop from before. Are you paired with a device?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

This is bugging me. I went to the GitHub website, and read the FAQ file, one is this:
2. The blueman applet does not show any detected bluetooth adapters - what
is wrong?

First, make sure that your kernel supports your bluetooth device. You
can use "bluez-test-adapter" (for BlueZ-4.x) or "bluetoothctl list"
(for BlueZ-5.x) to see if your device is recognized. If it is not,
then either your kernel doesn't support the device or some hardware
killswitch is preventing it from working.

To check for killswitch problems, first ensure that you have rfkill
support enabled in your kernel and it is loaded (i.e. the "rfkill"
module is loaded or it is built into your kernel statically).
Check the output of "4" and ensure that the bluetooth device
is not listed as either "Soft blocked" or "Hard blocked" - if it is,
then use the appropriate rfkill command to remove a soft block, and/or
check for a hardware switch on your machine to remove a hard block.

To check for kernel support, use "lsusb" and/or "lspci" to find the
hardware ID and do a web search to determine whether it should be
supported. If you are not sure how to do tihs and/or are not sure
how to interpret the results, scroll to the bottom of this document
for information on how to open an issue with the Blueman project.
That gives us something to start from, though the question is on the lack of adapter found, not on the failure to show it. We're not blocked:

Code: Select all

$ rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

Seagasm

#7 Post by Seagasm »

Hi guys, thank you for your warm welcome and response.

jerry3904, first, I went through the tweak, my panel is tweaked to the bottom, (habit), I don't have a problem with connecting to Bluetooth. In this instance, I connected to a JBL BT speaker and play music with Clementine, all good. However, once I discovered PulseAudio Control I realized what was happening, connected and, well Rock and Roll. But, that was when I discovered the little Bluetooth Icon in the on the panel (now bottom right) did not change to indicated Bluetooth was connected. A little item I had previously relied upon when I was connected to a Bluetooth Device. It works but does not show.

Item 3) of your reply, I don't know what that relates to but I will have a look on the manual as you suggest.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#8 Post by Jerry3904 »

Item 3) of your reply, I don't know what that relates to but I will have a look on the manual as you suggest.
I was giving you an answer to this
can updates be selective?
Your choice, in other words, is either to use the automated update method or a manual method, where you can select what to update.

Seagasm

#9 Post by Seagasm »

Good morning Jerry 3904, thank you for your replies. updates sorted, BT icon (above) and centered windows are not (yet). Interestingly enough, I have viewed some YouTube reviews and although MX is very favorable in comments, all demonstrations appear to suffer from windows opening but not centered. Hmmmm.... For the love of me, I cannot find anything in the configuration to do this. Thank you for your help all the same.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#10 Post by Jerry3904 »

There is this in the Wiki that you might want to try:

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/xfce/xfce-comm ... nterwindow

And for individual apps:

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/applications/gdevilspie/

Return to “Software / Configuration”