MX Snaphot throws an Error

Skiploser

MX Snaphot throws an Error

#1 Post by Skiploser »

Hello!!

I played a litte bit around with Snapshot. First run went through,however, without any Iso ouput file. The second run and all other subsequent failed with Error message

Could not create linuxfs file, please check whether you have enought space on the destination partition.

But this couldn't be the truth, since, I have plenty of space left. I tried also various destinations without any success either!

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Re: MX Snaphot throws an Error

#2 Post by Richard »

The error message means that although you have lots of disk space, there isn't enough where it wants to build and store the generated ISO. It defaults to /home/snapshot/

You can change the default in the config option offered at the first page of the app. (Not looking at the computer right now)
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by JayM »

Please run MX Tools/Quick System Info, then right-click paste into a reply. (Quick System Info automatically copies the information to the clipboard and formats it properly for the forum so all you have to do is paste it.) Thanks.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

mxer

#4 Post by mxer »

I ran it recently'ish, you need to point it to where you have adequate space, which may not be the default, as above (/home/snapshot).

It should tell you how much space you have & how much it wants, (I think) - anyway, it does give the info before starting to compress the system files, so maybe you missed seeing it(?).
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

galen

#5 Post by galen »

check for space used
df -h

you can also squeeze more free disk space by setting reserved space
eg.
sudo tune2fs /dev/sd[partion] -m 3

reserves 3%
Linux user since 1999, on-line 1993
Dtop#1: XU20 AMD-FX6300, GT730
Dtop#2: MX19 AM3ATH2X2, GT218-8400
Ltop#1: MX21 T500
Ltop#2: MX19 T440
Ltop#3: MX19 NC6400
Ltop#4: XU18 NC4400
Ltop#5: Sparky32 T30 :turtle:
Ltop#6: MX21 Acer E5

Huckleberry Finn

#6 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Skiploser wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:36 am ...I tried also various destinations without any success either!
The easiest is to attach a usb and assign it as the address (or an external harddisk etc.). Or another partition ext4 formatted on the same drive but it needs to be permitted "ownership to user" beforehand... (if not, it won't begin writing there) .. I always use usb and the other partitions flawlessly..

Return to “Software / Configuration”