[SOLVED] native nordvpn app on MX linux

towwire

Re: [UNSOLVED] native nordvpn app on MX linux

#11 Post by towwire »

ludolph wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:18 am
dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:01 am However, usually there is just some service that needs started up. you can usually do this manually if you know the name of the executable for the service.
Could you recommend me how to investigate this problem? Where are typically stored services or executable for systemd?
Expressvpn is another VPN that the deb show installed but does not run. It has addens for 'Chrome' and "Firefox' but I don't used either so did not install them.

So in a terminal what does it say if you enter ssomething like "nordvpn status'. If I do that after install of expressvpn, 'expressvpn status' it tell me that a demon is not running.

When I first got the deb for Expressvpn, it would not run but found a hack that made it work, so did not have to ask for my money back. Expressvpn does not have an app but is done thru the terminal. They came out with a newer version but it would not install over the old one, and I could not remove the old one. I found out that I had to boot into systemd to plurge the old version. When I rebooted to non systemd side I could then install the newer version and applied the hack and it runs fine. You may have to do the same.

If you still have the old version installed then you might try this. Do not know if this will work for 'Nordvpn', but here is the hack I use.

Code: Select all

sudo sh -c 'E=expressvpn; I=/etc/init.d/$E; cp -f /usr/lib/$E/$E.init $I; chmod +x $I; touch /etc/default/$E;  $I restart; /usr/sbin/update-rc.d $E defaults'
If it works then do like I did to delete the old one and try the newer version with the hack.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

fehlix
Developer

#12 Post by fehlix »

ludolph wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:56 am ... (the only solution for MX Linux users), but the latest nordvpn v3.0 app is far more better ...
I might play with version 3 over Eastern (after having found all Easter eggs :happy: ) ... let's see ... :snail:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

ludolph

#13 Post by ludolph »

fehlix wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:42 am I might play with version 3 over Eastern (after having found all Easter eggs :happy: ) ... let's see ... :snail:
I'd be glad for that because now I'm not able to run nordvpn without systemd.

towwire

#14 Post by towwire »

ludolph wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:58 am
fehlix wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:42 am I might play with version 3 over Eastern (after having found all Easter eggs :happy: ) ... let's see ... :snail:
I'd be glad for that because now I'm not able to run nordvpn without systemd.
I hope 'fehlix' finds how to do it for you. He is the one that did the hack for Expressvpn. I gave that to you but didn't know if it's worth trying while you wait to see what he comes up with. You always wonder if it will mess up you system if you do it.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

jim8085

#15 Post by jim8085 »

New user, first post.

Is the Firefox NordVPN proxy extension a usable option? The CLI app will let you connect to a specific server were the proxy extension just gives you a country choice. I really like the CLI app!

When using a live USB (static persistence) is there an boot option to systemd? I can only find this option in a full install. With a live USB it seems the proxy extension is the only simple choice, for me at least.

I have 2+ years left on my 3 year purchase to NordVPN, so I am not really looking for a different VPN.

Jim

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#16 Post by dolphin_oracle »

jim8085 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:31 pm New user, first post.

Is the Firefox NordVPN proxy extension a usable option? The CLI app will let you connect to a specific server were the proxy extension just gives you a country choice. I really like the CLI app!

When using a live USB (static persistence) is there an boot option to systemd? I can only find this option in a full install. With a live USB it seems the proxy extension is the only simple choice, for me at least.

I have 2+ years left on my 3 year purchase to NordVPN, so I am not really looking for a different VPN.

Jim
you cannot change init systems on the live media.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

fehlix
Developer

#17 Post by fehlix »

Looks like I'm a step further:

$ inxi -Ix
Info:      Processes: 191 Uptime: 1h 27m Memory: 8.78 GiB used: 829.1 MiB (9.2%) Init: SysVinit 
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.33 
demo@mx1:~/Desktop
$ /usr/bin/nordvpn connect
Please enter your login details.
Email / Username: 
Here what I have done to demonstrate that it (might) work:
with latest version from there website nordvpn_3.0.0-4_amd64.deb
I manually "installed" (without systemd) and needed to adjust permissions:
First I needed to adjust the permissions and ownership:

sudo chmod 755 /usr/sbin/nordvpn*  /usr/bin/nordvpn* 
sudo chown 0:0 /usr/sbin/nordvpn*  /usr/bin/nordvpn* 
and
started manually the system daemon

nohup sudo /usr/sbin/nordvpnsd &
and the user-daemon:

nohup /usr/sbin/nordvpnud &
Now it connects and want my user credientials:

nordvpn connect
Please enter your login details.
Email / Username: 
Password: 
This is tested with a running LiveISO.
If anybody with valid norvpn credential can test to see if it is working,
we would just need to a small adjustment within e,g Popular Apps to
tweak the installer for nordvpn a bit. With those
2 additions:
1. Add a sysV-init script for nordvpn system daemon
2 Add system wide autostart , so the user-daemon
get started for all user looged in.
and perhaps add a re-connect Dekstop-starter for the user-daemon to reconnect.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#18 Post by dolphin_oracle »

ah, I missed the user daemon. Good work fehlix. (PS I've got some thoughts we can discuss in the dev forum).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

galaxysurfer

#19 Post by galaxysurfer »

Thanx for doing this & finding a hack for us. I had a conversation with nordvpn about the apps dependence on systemd. Maybe you can take your solution directly to nordvpn so they can incorporate it into their code for our distro & others using sysvinit? OR we could have a corrected version in our repo for a working direct install. I will test this on my setups as a nordvpn customer.

Galaxysurfer :celebrate: Mx is getting better & better!

galaxysurfer

#20 Post by galaxysurfer »

Just chatted with Nordvpn customer support. Apparently it is back to the drawing board for linux app for now ( current app not working correctly). It means the only current working solution is through the openvpn module or router config. path. I mentioned to him about the unique boot options of Mx Linux ( systVinit boot default with alt systemd boot option.) I guess us vpn users need to be patient awhile longer.

** edit I dont think customer service rep knew what he was talking about after testing version 3 here.
Last edited by galaxysurfer on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Software / Configuration”