antiX live usb issue

rs55

antiX live usb issue

#1 Post by rs55 »

I had been having trouble creating a live usb from my Thinkpad x230 running Antix 17.4. It announced that it was done. But upon booting from that usb was getting a "vmlinuz not found" error. ( I had posted on this earlier).

Then I moved on to trying to create a live usb on my other machine W520 (running MX linux 18.1 ) using the same antix image and same stick. Worked flawlessly. So I figured there must be some issue with the actual usb port on that x230.
I tried all manner of things - to no avail. The puzzling thing was the usb port was otherwise working fine.

Then, today, I installed MX linux 18.1 on that same x230 and tried the same thing again. Success!

( as an aside, I also installed Antix 17.4 , 32 bit on an old thinkpad X40 - and created a live usb which all worked flawlessly).

Conclusion - there is some issue with antix17.4 - the 64 bit version in creating a working live usb - on my x230. Maybe it is the particular laptop - dont know.

BitJam
Developer

Re: antiX live usb issue

#2 Post by BitJam »

I'd like to figure out what went wrong. Have you looked at the output of dmesg after making a live-usb that will end up not to work? Often when a problem is dependent on hardware + kernel then clues show up in dmesg. But it is unlikely live-usb-maker would report success if there were IO errors.

The other thing to try is to mount the broken live-usb, cd to its antiX/ directory and run:

Code: Select all

md5sum -c *.md5
When I run that here I get:

initrd.gz: OK
linuxfs: OK
vmlinuz: OK
If that is successful and/or if you can boot UEFI but not legacy then the problem could be due to file fragmentation. Newer versions of live-usb-maker (such as the one in antiX-17.4) automatically run e4defrag on the vmlinuz file but we don't throw a fatal error if that program is not found. You could try running:

sudo e4defrag -v vmlinuz
in that same directory.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

rs55

#3 Post by rs55 »

OK I tried all that.
initrd.gz: OK
linuxfs: OK
vmlinuz: OK

Then I ran the sudo e4defrag -v vmlinuz and it completed successfully

Then tried rebooting off that usb. Same error "/antiX/vmlinuz:read error @ 4514592"

rs55

#4 Post by rs55 »

What are the differences in the live-usb program versions in the latest MX versus the latest antiX - 64 bit?
( because this is all working perfectly with MX)

rs55

#5 Post by rs55 »

I am primarily using MX on my modern 64 bit machines ( works fantastic). And antiX on my old X40 ( which works great- 75 MB ram after boot!! live-usb works fine too on this 32 bit machine).

But I am now intrigued by why there is this issue with antiX 64 bit. After all live-usb is probably the biggest and best feature of antiX - and if that is failing, presumably remastering will fail too.

rs55

#6 Post by rs55 »

Would it be possible to use the same version of live-usb in antiX ( as in MX) ?

fehlix
Developer

#7 Post by fehlix »

Is that UEFI or BIOS (legacy) booting you have trouble with?
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

rs55

#8 Post by rs55 »

bios

rs55

#9 Post by rs55 »

I just repeated the whole process - this is a repeatable problem.
Using a snapshot of antix system, sandisk flash, one laptop x230( with MX and antix installed)
- use live-usb maker on MX : usb boots up fine
- use live-usb-maker on antiX: usb fails to boot with that vmlinuz error.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

rs55 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28 am Would it be possible to use the same version of live-usb in antiX ( as in MX) ?
live-usb-maker is exactly the same version on MX and antiX.

***edit*** the kernels are different between antiX and MX though.
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Software / Configuration”