MXPI suggestion - enter password after click on "Install"

Buck Fankers

MXPI suggestion - enter password after click on "Install"

#1 Post by Buck Fankers »

Only if it is easily achievable and if it makes sense.

Often, we check for some piece of software, to see if it is in MXPI or to see description of a program mentioned say on forum. Would it make sense to change MXPI behavior, so need for password entry would only be at installation and not for just peeking into MXPI? Just a thought... ;-)

manyroads

Re: MXPI suggestion - enter password after click on "Install"

#2 Post by manyroads »

Buck Fankers wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 pm Only if it is easily achievable and if it makes sense.

Often, we check for some piece of software, to see if it is in MXPI or to see description of a program mentioned say on forum. Would it make sense to change MXPI behavior, so need for password entry would only be at installation and not for just peeking into MXPI? Just a thought... ;-)
Where are you having to enter passwords? On first use, I think, you can give permission for all subsequent passwords to be auto magic for apps like MXPI, synaptic and a few others.... I never have to re-enter them. :confused:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Buck Fankers

#3 Post by Buck Fankers »

manyroads wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:27 pm
Where are you having to enter passwords? On first use, I think, you can give permission for all subsequent passwords to be auto magic for apps like MXPI, synaptic and a few others.... I never have to re-enter them. :confused:
[/quote]

No, I was not talking about reentering them. But the first initial password entry could be after we decide to install something. In case, if you want to just check if some app exist in MXPI for example, you wouldn't need to enter password for this.

As I originally wrote, if this makes sense and only if it is easy to implement.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

Buck Fankers wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm No, I was not talking about reentering them. But the first initial password entry could be after we decide to install something. In case, if you want to just check if some app exist in MXPI for example, you wouldn't need to enter password for this.

As I originally wrote, if this makes sense and only if it is easy to implement.
I'm not sure why you need to do that... I don't. That was my point. Or maaybe I simply have no idea what the problem is... it's probably number two in that list.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Buck Fankers

#5 Post by Buck Fankers »

manyroads wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:49 pm I'm not sure why you need to do that... I don't. That was my point.
Well in that case I'm doing something wrong. Maybe is because I have auto-login into MX enabled?
Anyway, if say, I turn computer on and then I want to check something in MXPI I need to first enter password, before I can use MXPI. If the rest of you guys don't need to, then I need to change something on my side ;-)

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

That is normal behavior upon first using MXPI, that is entering the password. Subsequent invocations do not require it.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Buck Fankers

#7 Post by Buck Fankers »

richb wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:37 pm That is normal behavior upon first using MXPI, that is entering the password. Subsequent invocations do not require it.
Well, in this case, would it make sense, to move this password entry to the later stage, once someone decides to install something? So just peaking into MXPI, looking for something, without installing anything, would not need password entry?
Of course if this password entry is part of bigger integration and needs to be there at that time, then I'm taking back my suggestion ;-)

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#8 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Synaptic works the same way.. you just have to be root to access. Not that big of a deal.. once you have entered it you can access it all day without having to again.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

azrielle

#9 Post by azrielle »

I have a different suggestion. Why not make Synaptic an INSTALLABLE OPTION inside MX-PI's "popular applications"? That way, new users would be forced to learn about its superiority to Synaptic, other than the minority that use apt-get to install stuff. It's not unheard of--Kali Light came without Synaptic 3 years ago, perhaps it still does (I installed it way back then because I wanted Xfce and the cool dragon splash screen, not because I wanted to make use of its more nefarious options. Seriously!).
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

Return to “Software / Configuration”