Brave browser

Gerson

Re: Brave browser

#21 Post by Gerson »

KBD Wrote: Too bad there is not a simple deb package to download and use on Debian.
In Debian and especially in MX it can be installed in the following way; (see here), I did it this way and every time there are updates it gives me to download, now if you want a package. You can also get it (click here) but it will not give you the updates. You can choose between active, beta, developing and night packages.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

WarhawkCZ

#22 Post by WarhawkCZ »

Just for sake of my curiosity - how does Brave compare to Vivaldi/Chrome/Firefox with uBlock and ghostery plugins?
I use Google before asking dumb questions but I am new to Linux. Thank you for your patience :-)

KBD

#23 Post by KBD »

Gerson wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:05 am
In Debian and especially in MX it can be installed in the following way; (see here), I did it this way and every time there are updates it gives me to download, now if you want a package. You can also get it (click here) but it will not give you the updates. You can choose between active, beta, developing and night packages.
I got it installed on Linux Mint last night, enough to check it out. Brave looks polished and at first glance a perfect stand in for Chrome. But it has some issues. It won't work with Gmail unless you go to the Google home page and login from there. I couldn't get signed into MX Forum no matter what I tried. It leaves connections for both Twitter and Facebook on by default. I think eventually it could be a great browser, but enough issues to cause me concern. I'll stick with Firefox for now.

Laurentius

#24 Post by Laurentius »

I have installed it on MX and using it since yesterday and it feels good. Very fast. Specially Gmail seems to load faster than with other browsers. No issues at all.
I have used the instructions posted on this thread by gerson and the other kernel thing (because if not it doesen't lunch). Not difficult. Just copy/paste.
My main browser is palemoon but I think I'll be trying this for some time.

wellsey

#25 Post by wellsey »

My favourite browser on Android, so followed Gerson advice and successfully installed it on mx 18.3 However It won't let me login to this forum! I am entering this post on my phone.
After entering username and password the page reloads , the login fields are gone but where my username should be, the login button remains. I am not logged in.
This happens wether I have shields up or down. Any one any ideas or have same problem?

Brave version 0.64.77 Chromium 74.0.3729.169

SOLVED - I reset settings in browser and it now works ( -- maybe something I imported from firefox screwed it )
"There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the Earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, 'Klaatu barada nikto', please repeat that."

Dell Latitude E4310 I5 8GB 256GB SSD

davidwillis

#26 Post by davidwillis »

Do you need to be running the liquorix kernel? I tried installing it, but it will not boot. It just goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor. If I need to use that Kernel for Brave browser, then I need to get it working first.

Huckleberry Finn

#27 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

What about Iridium Browser? It's similar, fast and compatible with Debian (but only 64 bit for Linux).

v3g4n

#28 Post by v3g4n »

davidwillis wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:16 pm Do you need to be running the liquorix kernel? I tried installing it, but it will not boot. It just goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor. If I need to use that Kernel for Brave browser, then I need to get it working first.
No need to use liquorix just to use Brave browser.

Gerson

#29 Post by Gerson »

He actualizado la forma de instalar Brave en MX, SolydXK y distribuciones con Debian sin necesidad de usar el kernel liquorix, pueden ver la forma de hacelo en esta página.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

GlockdocVegas

#30 Post by GlockdocVegas »

KBD wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:28 am
Gerson wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:05 am
I got it installed on Linux Mint last night, enough to check it out. Brave looks polished and at first glance a perfect stand in for Chrome. But it has some issues. It won't work with Gmail unless you go to the Google home page and login from there. I couldn't get signed into MX Forum no matter what I tried. It leaves connections for both Twitter and Facebook on by default. I think eventually it could be a great browser, but enough issues to cause me concern. I'll stick with Firefox for now.
If you are using Gmail, privacy is not your main concern anyway...............

Just a thought. Stick with the BIg G and Chrome.

Return to “Software / Configuration”