Davinci Resolve

khreha

Davinci Resolve

#1 Post by khreha »

Has anyone successfully gotten Davinci Resolve to work inside of MX-18 ?

I have a pretty much standard configuration Lenovo U310 Ultrabook / 3rd generation i5 processor / 4-gb RAM. This laptop has no problems running Kdenlive under MX-18 with all the latest updates applied.

I downloaded the most recent version of Davinci Resolve 15.2.3-1 and followed the instruction on http://www.danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb. This action successfully converted the Davinci Resolve *.tar into a *.deb file. (they don't offer a Debian version of Davinci Resolve !)

The converted *.deb file appeared to install properly and the Davinci Resolve icon appeared in the Multimedia menu... just like you would expect a properly installed program to do.

But, even though all indications are that the program installed properly, it will not open ?? I click on the icon, it goes through some actions. Then just stops and brings me back to the desktop ????

I have gone through all the available trouble shooting I can find on this matter to no avail. At this point I'm not smart enough to know if I'm missing some kind of "dependency" ??? or other support program needed to get Resolve to work on my system.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: Davinci Resolve

#2 Post by timkb4cq »

First try the steps the official source tells you to try. If you have tried starting resolve from the command line and/or the next step of running ldd on the program and don't understand the messages then copy & paste them here for decoding.
MakeResolveDeb page wrote:When Resolve doesn't start at all or exits immediately

Run resolve from a prompt (/opt/resolve/bin/resolve) and check the output for error messages
Make sure you have all required libraries installed. Run "ldd /opt/resolve/bin/resolve" and verify that there are no missing libraries (ldd should give no lines with "not found" in them)
Log files are located in /opt/resolve/logs/. Please check for clues. (ResolveDebug.txt & rollinglog.txt)
Resolve is quite picky when it comes to GPU drivers and versions. Make sure you have both CUDA and OpenCL libraries installed. Even if you use CUDA, a working OpenCL is still required for proper function, and vice versa.
Segmentation fault on startup usually means missing GPU drivers, unsupported GPU driver version or unsupported GPU hardware. Check /opt/resolve/logs/ for clues.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

For my Intel GPU, I had to install beignet-opencl-icd to get openCL working for mandelbulber2; nvidia-opencl-icd for the Nvidia GPU.

Are you sure an ultrabook has enough oomph to run a demanding program like this?

Artisto

#4 Post by Artisto »

Ok, so im in the process if exploring mx. Ive had somewhat of a difficult time with crrative tasks like video editing.....Im now trying to see if I can install Davinci Resolve and came across this post. Is there any video tutorials on this method? or just maybe better more thorough instructions?
Thanks in advance..

My system is a customac fractal r4 with a....
gibyte mobo
haswell i7
32 gb ram ripjaws

Return to “Software / Configuration”