vpn compatibility

Budlite

Re: vpn compatibility

#21 Post by Budlite »

no luck:

demo@mx1:~/Downloads
$ sh pia-v81-installer-linux.sh
tar: installer_linux/deploy_files/nwjs/64/lib/libnw.so: Wrote only 9216 of 10240 bytes
tar: installer_linux/deploy_files/nwjs/64/lib/libnode.so: Cannot write: No space left on device
tar: installer_linux/deploy_files/nwjs/64/swiftshader: Cannot mkdir: No space left on device

richb
Administrator

#22 Post by richb »

Looks like your partition is full. When installed it lands in /opt/piavpn/. which is in /, the root file system.

Also probably not significant but my version is pia-v82.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

philotux

#23 Post by philotux »

richb wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:45 am Looks like your partition is full.
@Budlite
You could run:

Code: Select all

df -h
to find out.

Seeker

Re: vpn compatibility-ProtonVPN

#24 Post by Seeker »

I see Proton VPN cli version in MX Test Repo. Does this mean it is "iffy"? Also, why do we not have the Proton app for Linux in our MX Pkg Installer? Can we safely download it from Proton website?

towwire

#25 Post by towwire »

Mauser wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 pm
richb wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 pm A lot of information here.
https://thebestvpn.com/
Yes. Pay close attention on the jurisdiction of those VPNs. All of those VPNs are in the 14 eyes. Not good because those governments keep the logs. Still good information but incomplete because there are so many more VPNs.
Your statement is not 100% correct.
There are Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, 14 Eyes – Explained here.

https://restoreprivacy.com/5-eyes-9-eyes-14-eyes/

No matter who you do "business" with, means you "trust" what they say to you, but then are you using anything that leaks or undermines your privacy and security.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

Mauser

#26 Post by Mauser »

towwire wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:47 pm
Mauser wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 pm
richb wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 pm A lot of information here.
https://thebestvpn.com/
Yes. Pay close attention on the jurisdiction of those VPNs. All of those VPNs are in the 14 eyes. Not good because those governments keep the logs. Still good information but incomplete because there are so many more VPNs.
Your statement is not 100% correct.
There are Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, 14 Eyes – Explained here.

https://restoreprivacy.com/5-eyes-9-eyes-14-eyes/

No matter who you do "business" with, means you "trust" what they say to you, but then are you using anything that leaks or undermines your privacy and security.
Who's information are you referring to?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

towwire

#27 Post by towwire »

Yours. Not all are in 14 eyes and the governments may force them to keep logs or give up data without telling anyone. Like everything it is always subject change. Too many things are not known till years later after the fact.

My point is that to maintain your privacy and security you have to keep checking everything.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

az2020

#28 Post by az2020 »

towwire wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:49 pm My point is that to maintain your privacy and security you have to keep checking everything.
I agree. I have Mullvad (which MX seems most favorable to: it's an app in the Live USB session. MX also makes it sysvinit compatible through the stable repro). Mullvad doesn't have a warrant canary. Their reasoning is that it's not necessary because they have no logs to warrant access to. That makes sense: why have a notice saying "there's no warrants?"

But, it only makes sense *today*. What if the CEO has a sudden compromising position a few months from now, and things change? Mullvad answers this canary question every two months. Why not just have the canary? ("Still no warrants -- and there should never be any, just like we've been saying since 930BC.") If they don't do that, then they keep answering the same question every two months. It starts to beg the question.

I got Mullvad to seed torrents. I'm rapidly deciding to use a "seedbox" too. I'd use Mullvad to access that service. Keep my eggs out of one basket. I think Mullvad is trustworthy. I'm not trying to cast doubt. Maybe it's good they have the anti-canary position they do. It raises reasonable concerns applicable to any *stranger*. It made me think about the risks vs the cost of taking an extra step. (I mean, even if they/anyone(!) had a warrant canary, who's to say it's updated & truthful?). It makes you think.

Real

#29 Post by Real »

Mullvad is not simply one guy or CEO, so worrying about some guy being compromised is absurd. Secondly it can use wireguard, one of the main reasons I use it. Their code is completely transparent and inspected regularly. I like the fact you can torrent from any of the vpn points without concern. Vpn's like Express are a total scam as is Nord. If you see it advertised daily on the lying-to-your-face-box/TV just know it's a scam and a lie.
IMO, any company can say they respect your privacy. But, they could just as easily hand data to someone else who doesn't. Akin to the look the other way/we had no knowledge lie. That I believe is a common practice. Like if I say "I won't lie, I swear!", but my business partners never made any such claim, and I never mention it. So it's easy peasy for junk like nord or express to say one thing but do another. (express throttles when you torrent and have a name with the word London in it while pretending to be all american-a real POS co.). Like apple and facebook and google blah blah blah.
I was using proton but their linux client was mia. Plus they would require you to use specific vpn points in order TO torrent. After trying to update the proton cmd line client in linux to the beta and hitting a wall, I said to hell with it and switched over to mullvad. Their free email is good but I'd never use their vpn again.

Funny how the govt wants you and yours to use no encryption or privacy whatsoever, but they hand each other encrypted phones and use only encrypted email.
When making calls is free for the entire planet this BS will stop. If the entire planet could see everything that bigtech does the same way bigtech sees us, only then will it be a fair field of play. Like when apple buys me every single new device and pays the entire bill for using it, THEN we can do bidness. Then they can monitor every keystroke. Be my guest. You payed for it not me. Excuse my ranting but it's just the truth.
Lies are weapons of mass destruction. There are no victims.

richb
Administrator

#30 Post by richb »

@Real
Opinions should be posted in the Chat section. This topic is about VPN compatibility not extraneous opinions.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “Software / Configuration”