Any success installing PyWal?

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Any success installing PyWal?

#11 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:44 pm I'll take a look at oomox tomorrow....
That's great.

I've been testing oomox in Manjaro Budgie, and the materia/numix-based themes I've generated work very well in gtk3-based DE like Gnome or Budgie (or generally gtk3 programs).

However, when I compressed (ie, created archives of) the themes to save them, and then tried them out on gtk2 XFCE in MX17 and an older (but fully updated) Manjaro XFCE install, I found that the themes didn't work on Thunar and other elements of XFCE (e.g. the Appearance Settings window) so I was getting the ugly "Windows 95" look on these. Strangely enough, the theme looked ok on Geany, which I thought was purely gtk2.

I can't figure out whether it's because the themes only work on a system with the same gtk2/gtk3 version as the system oomox was run on (but that doesn't explain it not working on Manjaro XFCE), or it just doesn't work on XFCE-gtk2, or perhaps creating an archive of the themes messed with some symlinks or some file settings, or what.

Would be interested to try generating themes for MX17 on a version of oomox that actually runs on MX17, to see if it makes a difference.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

rich

#12 Post by rich »

It looks like if nothing else themes generated by oomox on MX 17 do work on MX 17, I tested it this morning. There was a little manual dependency resolution required to install as I had a backported library that the -dev package of wasn't in the test repo but it went through eventually.

And Stevo the pywal deb installed fine, thank you

asqwerth
Developer

#13 Post by asqwerth »

rich wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:03 pm It looks like if nothing else themes generated by oomox on MX 17 do work on MX 17, I tested it this morning. There was a little manual dependency resolution required to install as I had a backported library that the -dev package of wasn't in the test repo but it went through eventually.

And Stevo the pywal deb installed fine, thank you
I've just found that - at least for me - for themes previously made in a version of oomox installed in another distro, you need to place the said themes in /usr/share/themes in order for the xfce apps like Thunar to be themed. In $HOME/.local/share/themes, gtk3 and normal gtk2 apps get themed but not xfce-based ones. In $HOME/.themes, the theme might not even show up in XFCE Settings>> Appearance.

Tested this last night by making a theme in oomox in Manjaro Budgie, and then booting into MX17 to copy the theme into the various folders. Had the same result when I extracted a few archived themes generated 2 weeks ago in either Manjaro or an Arch-based distro (in both, oomox is obtained from the same source in AUR).

So weird. Wonder if it's a permissions thing across different distros on my multiboot machine. For instance, I could have sworn that when I created a theme in Manjaro Budgie and just left it in the /.themes folder (which is where the theme is placed when first generated), it worked for that distro. But when trying to import the theme to my Manjaro XFCE partition:

1. XFCE>>Appearance did not even display the theme when left in $HOME/.themes.
2. results for $HOME/.local/share/themes and /usr/share/themes are the same as for MX17.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

rich

#14 Post by rich »

Haha wow that is weird. The wonders of desktop Linux am I right? At least it works, maybe they're better off in /usr/share anyway so root apps like mxpi get themed too

manyroads

#15 Post by manyroads »

Necro-post here... :lipsrsealed:

PyWal.. anyone using it?

Hello all.
I am examining using pywal on my tiling windowmanager install (bspwm) on MX (later on antiX).

Since this thread was started (ended)
Has anyone used it one either antiX & MX with good success?

Here's the git page: https://github.com/dylanaraps/pywal
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software / Configuration”