Converting images to pdf? Solved

Dieselrider

Converting images to pdf? Solved

#1 Post by Dieselrider »

I have several jpeg images that I want to convert into pdf format and insert into a pdf document. I am sure I saw "saving as a pdf" or "export as a pdf" in some program in the past on MX but, I cannot remember just what program it was part of.

I have tried Gimp ( I see we have Gimp basics installed by default- perhaps in Gimp full?) I have also tried imagemagick which according to the synaptic has conversion capabilities to work but, I have not found that option to save as a pdf there as yet. I installed img2pdf from the synaptic but apparently there is a problem. I have not found that program installed as yet (could it be part of another graphics program? I have also tried to load the images right to pdf shuffler in the hopes of using it but, it doesn't seem to allow non pdf files to be imported.

I have tried to print the images as they are in the hopes of using gscan2pdf(which I love) to put them into a pdf document. However they print out real dark. I can perhaps try one at a time and adjust the printer in an attempt to lighten the print. Does anyone know of a poram that will allow me to open an image as jpeg and then convert it to pdf? Thank you.

Found one! Converseen batch image converter appears to work very well. First time i have used his program but it did exactly what I wanted.
Last edited by Dieselrider on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

MX-19 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,
Ultra LSP550 550W Power Supply

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: Converting images to pdf?

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

In the gimp, do not save as, use export as. Then pick the pdf option.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Dieselrider

Re: Converting images to pdf?

#3 Post by Dieselrider »

Eadwine Rose wrote:In the gimp, do not save as, use export as. Then pick the pdf option.
Thank you Eadwine Rose. I will look at tht but, I also found a batch program for this purpose. I didn't see your post until after i edited my original post. I need to mark this solved. Looking for that option now.
Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

MX-19 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,
Ultra LSP550 550W Power Supply

manzana32

Re: Converting images to pdf? Solved

#4 Post by manzana32 »

Hi Dieselrider,

I would use imagemagick instead of Gimp.
If you have your image files ordered by file names you could open a terminal in the folder with images and do the following:

$ convert *.jpg myoutputfile.pdf

or

$ convert *.png myuotputfile.pdf

or in case you wanted to give a particular order to your files or you have different file image formats:

$ convert file1.jpg file2.jpg file3.png myoutputfile.pdf

You could find more options for convert command by

$man convert

I hope this works for you.
Cheers
Manzana
--
Laptop: MX 17.1 | i7-4702MQ | 16Gb RAM | Nvidia GTX 760M | 120Gb + 256Gb SSD | 1Tb HDD
Netbook: Lubuntu 16.04 | Atom 1.5GHz | 2Gb RAM | 320Gb HDD

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

You can also just put the images into your document and print to file using the PDF output option.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by JayM »

randybonns. you'll have better luck getting help if you start your own topic rather than replying to someone else's month-old already-closed one, and with a different question than that of the original poster (OP). Thanks, and welcome to the forum.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

Converseen is in the standard Debian repository, so is available in MX--also for just every other Linux distro, too.

https://repology.org/project/converseen/versions

i_ri

#8 Post by i_ri »

Hello Dieselrider and randybonns
the comment about img2pdf : for curiosity the machine here installed img2pdf to MX-18 and it functioned successfully to create a .pdf from a .png and from a .jpg. It means you were on the right track early in your endeavor; glad it ended well for you.

JmaCWQ

#9 Post by JmaCWQ »

I've been using LibreOffice to save images as .pdf for quite some time now.
Open Draw, go Insert > Image, then go File > Export as PDF :cool:

Return to “Software / Configuration”