Unattended Upgrades - config files [SOLVED]

bin

Unattended Upgrades - config files [SOLVED]

#1 Post by bin »

I've used unattended-upgrades for many years especially on my wife's laptop as it reduces any input she needs to provide.

Just in case folks want to use it in MX I thought I'd provide the config files as working out the syntax can be a bit of a pain.

Obviously you need to install u-a either from Synaptic or command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install unattended-upgrades
Please note the attached are for MX-16 - so references to jessie would need to be amended for MX-17.

You can derive the information by running apt-cache policy to a text file

apt-cache policy > repos.txt
and /or

egrep '^(Origin|Label|Suite|Codename)' /var/lib/apt/lists/*Release > repos-1.txt
The 2 files I have attached replace the existing 50unattended-upgrades and 15periodic-update in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ - I will admit that is largely down to habit - please note that these are working files from MX-16. You'll need to rename to get rid of the .txt extension as otherwise they won't attach to this post.

To view the logs in /var/log/unattended-upgrades you need to be root/sudo - or add your account to adm group so you can view as a user.

You can test the script by running

sudo unattended-upgrades --dry-run --verbose
which will do everything but not actually install updates.

It will run automatically next day around up to 30 minutes after booting. I did track down a location for the value of that time - can't find it right now.

Be aware that unattended-upgrades will install any additional packages that are needed in order to make upgrades work - as opposed to apt-get upgrade which does not. If you do not want an item upgraded then you can mark it held.

echo "package name hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
As always YMMV - hope it is of use to someone.

EDIT:- It seems MX also requires the use of oldstable in unattended-upgrades so I've added the modified 50unattended-upgrades file - my previous distro didn't use this - hence the omission.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pannet1

Re: Unattended Upgrades - config files [SOLVED]

#2 Post by pannet1 »

i simply followed this

https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades

will check and let know if it works.

it is simple as installing unattended-upgrades packages and you are good to go.
mx linux 19 (KDE) - using mx linux since 17.1
x86_64 / 32-bit, 64-bit / CPUs 4 / GenuineIntel / Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

This is a revival of an old thread. Nevertheless:

MX-Updater settings:

see top of page 45 of MX19 manual

and

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/help-files/hel ... -notifier/
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

SwampRabbit

#4 Post by SwampRabbit »

asqwerth wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:51 am This is a revival of an old thread. Nevertheless:

MX-Updater settings:

see top of page 45 of MX19 manual

and

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/help-files/hel ... -notifier/
We've had several users lately say one of the first things they do is delete the MX Manual and FAQ from the desktop, so it's never a surprise when folks are trying to do something the hardway....

Some like to struggle programming the VCR through trial and error I guess. :confused:
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

SwampRabbit wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:00 am We've had several users lately say one of the first things they do is delete the MX Manual and FAQ from the desktop, so it's never a surprise when folks are trying to do something the hardway....

Some like to struggle programming the VCR through trial and error I guess. :confused:
Yes, I read one such post and I was shaking my head.

Decided to bite my tongue and not say anything.

On a package request thread (posted in the wrong subforum), I just mentioned the checklist of what to do and check before making such requests (I actually said it was for his future reference), and was told that that person knew how to search the forum, that the link to the checklist post hadn't helped him, and that I had given that person a unneeded "slap". That person followed up in that thread with a post that showed they did not really read the checklist post properly.

Sigh.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

junoluna

#6 Post by junoluna »

i always remove my FAQ file from the desktop immediately but in fairness, i move it into my documents folder

just in case i get a future virtual slapping :bagoverhead:

pannet1

#7 Post by pannet1 »

oh god.

i have the update-notifier. i just save the clicks and pressing 'y'.

i failed to notice the 2 checkboxes below which is exactly for the same purpose.

i learnt this after reading the mxlinux article by jerry which you forwarded above.

thank you.

ps: i dont have the habit of deleting the manuals :rolleyes:
mx linux 19 (KDE) - using mx linux since 17.1
x86_64 / 32-bit, 64-bit / CPUs 4 / GenuineIntel / Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz

Return to “Software / Configuration”