Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Amateur Radio JS8Call [SOLVED]

User avatar
kc1di
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:47 am

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#11

Post by kc1di » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:16 am

The .deb package should work for you. It works fine here.
good Luck.

NevilsStation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#12

Post by NevilsStation » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:10 pm

old_guy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:45 pm
NevilsStation

I don't have any equipment, but the link you show:

http://files.js8call.com/latest.html

has a 64 bit deb, which I downloaded and clicking on the file installs it through GDebi and it looks like it runs. You don't need to compile it.

Earl
I'm getting a pop-up error when I install "Error: Cannot install libqt5gui5:i386"
Custom-built PC w/i7 CPU running MX-16.

User avatar
kc1di
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:47 am

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#13

Post by kc1di » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:26 am

The install needs a 32 bit lib you can activate 32bit repositories by doing this in a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then do this

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
Try the install again. Good luck.

User avatar
JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 am

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#14

Post by JayM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 am

kc1di wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:26 am
The install needs a 32 bit lib you can activate 32bit repositories by doing this in a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then do this

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
Try the install again. Good luck.
If you do this, please run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i386
after installing your app and prior to allowing any updates to run or you'll probably break your installation and render MX unbootable.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

NevilsStation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#15

Post by NevilsStation » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 am

kc1di wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:26 am
The install needs a 32 bit lib you can activate 32bit repositories by doing this in a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then do this

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
Try the install again. Good luck.
OK, this appears to have worked (it allowed the Install to proceed and complete).

Thanks!
Custom-built PC w/i7 CPU running MX-16.

NevilsStation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#16

Post by NevilsStation » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:27 am

JayM wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 am
If you do this, please run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i386
after installing your app and prior to allowing any updates to run or you'll probably break your installation and render MX unbootable.
This makes sense to me - it closes the 32bit Repository - so nothing else uses it.

I'm getting "error: cannot remove architecture "i386" currently in use by the database"

All windows are closed and I have not yet opened the JS8Call program.

How should I proceed, please?

Thanks!
Custom-built PC w/i7 CPU running MX-16.

User avatar
JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 am

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#17

Post by JayM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:58 am

Try restarting? (I don't know, I've never enabled the 32-but repos in a 64-bit system before. I was just warning that leaving 32-bit repositories enabled would hose your 64-bit system when upgrades happen. I found out the command by running

Code: Select all

man dpkg
in a terminal.)
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

User avatar
kc1di
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:47 am

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#18

Post by kc1di » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 am

NevilsStation wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:27 am
JayM wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 am
If you do this, please run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i386
after installing your app and prior to allowing any updates to run or you'll probably break your installation and render MX unbootable.
This makes sense to me - it closes the 32bit Repository - so nothing else uses it.

I'm getting "error: cannot remove architecture "i386" currently in use by the database"

All windows are closed and I have not yet opened the JS8Call program.

How should I proceed, please?

Thanks!
The reason is that you now have 32 bit libs on the system data base and the package manger will need those repositories to keep them updated. I've never had my 64 bit system damaged by 32 bit libs on it or the 32 bit repositories. just be careful of what you install and you should be fine. In fact most Distros have them already enabled by default. Debian (which MX is based upon) being one of the exceptions. Glad it worked for you and hope the program works well 73's
Cheers!

User avatar
JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 am

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#19

Post by JayM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:22 am

kc1di wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 am
NevilsStation wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:27 am
JayM wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 am
If you do this, please run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i386
after installing your app and prior to allowing any updates to run or you'll probably break your installation and render MX unbootable.
This makes sense to me - it closes the 32bit Repository - so nothing else uses it.

I'm getting "error: cannot remove architecture "i386" currently in use by the database"

All windows are closed and I have not yet opened the JS8Call program.

How should I proceed, please?

Thanks!
The reason is that you now have 32 bit libs on the system data base and the package manger will need those repositories to keep them updated. I've never had my 64 bit system damaged by 32 bit libs on it or the 32 bit repositories. just be careful of what you install and you should be fine. In fact most Distros have them already enabled by default. Debian (which MX is based upon) being one of the exceptions. Glad it worked for you and hope the program works well 73's
Cheers!
I bow to the brass-pounder. You know more about this than I do. 73s.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

NevilsStation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Amateur Radio JS8Call

#20

Post by NevilsStation » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:06 pm

The JS8Call program appears to be working.

Thanks for the assist!
Custom-built PC w/i7 CPU running MX-16.

Post Reply

Return to “Software / Configuration”