News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Who is using SSD's?

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Who is using SSD's?

Post by KBD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:54 pm

uncle mark wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm
What about M.2s? Anyone using them yet? They look like a good candidate for my next build. Silly cheap, too.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820156200
I thought about putting one of those in my X220, but too much to take apart to get it installed. Chromebooks use them, and I may upgrade the one in my C720 to one with more storage.

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Gordon Cooper » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Both my old desktops were converted to SSD as sda last year. Have retained a spinning drive in each for data. The noticeable speed difference is between them, the
older machine with a ASUS board has an Intel Duo E7500 CPU. The second computer, a Dell Optiplex, with an Intel four core i5-3470 CPU, runs considerably faster.

@ manyroads. What's this 'old guy' tag ? I'll be (if I make it) 89 in a few months. Can you beat that ?
Backup: Dell9010, MX-18.2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sunrat » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:01 pm

I have an 8 year old OCZ Vertex2 120GB in the system I'm on now in which I do everyday emails and web browsing etc. System is 3 years older than that with Core2Duo E8500 and 4GB RAM. Still going strong and fast.
My other system for audio production and gaming is 3 YO with Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, i5 6500 and 16GB and is irrepressible! (Monkey quote) :happy: :cool:

vancouver
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by vancouver » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 pm

Who is "not" using SSDs? :)

All kidding aside, nothing improved our favorite devices more than Solid State Disks.
First, I upgraded an MSI laptop with an EVO 860 256 Gig SSD and when it was time to buy a workstation, I opted for a model that came with an SSD.

I didn't read the whole thread so if someone mentioned it already then ignore this.
If you do use an SSD, then configure your web browser to use RAM for caching. By default, Firefox writes a lot of data to the hard drive.
It just takes three tiny changes in the "about:config" page and after that, the SSD will no longer be written to. This tweak is one of the first things I do after I install. - v
Creative Children Compose Music https://www.littlecomposers.com

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:58 am

Cavsfan wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:52 pm
[...] One review said download Macrium Reflect free edition. It worked so well transferring Arch Linux, Fedora 29, openSUSE TW, Xubuntu 18.04 LTS and Windows 10 that it booted right up with my custom grub menu. :cool:

[...]
You might try Clonzilla for such tasks.... :number1:

I am non-attorney spokesperson for myself... :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:25 am

If you do use an SSD, then configure your web browser to use RAM for caching. By default, Firefox writes a lot of data to the hard drive.
It just takes three tiny changes in the "about:config" page and after that, the SSD will no longer be written to. This tweak is one of the first things I do after I install.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-ram ... 41282.html
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Who is using SSD's?

Post by sunrat » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:53 pm

While it certainly won't hurt to put you browser cache in RAM, it's probably not necessary to get a good lifetime from an SSD. Most SSDs have a lifetime write capacity of many hundreds of terabytes. TechReport did a test a few years back and several kept working up to 2.5 petabytes of writes!
Check out the test reports:
Introduction - https://techreport.com/review/24841/int ... experiment
Final summary - https://techreport.com/review/27909/the ... e-all-dead

Cavsfan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Cavsfan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:58 pm

manyroads wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:58 am
Cavsfan wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:52 pm
[...] One review said download Macrium Reflect free edition. It worked so well transferring Arch Linux, Fedora 29, openSUSE TW, Xubuntu 18.04 LTS and Windows 10 that it booted right up with my custom grub menu. :cool:

[...]
You might try Clonzilla for such tasks.... :number1:

I am non-attorney spokesperson for myself... :eek:
:rofl:

I did it via Windows 10 and it was a one time thing. I was amazed at how it flawlessly it copied a 480GB SSD to a 1TB SSD.

The last time I copied a non SSD 500GB to 500GB drive it would not boot; I had to mount a live CD and re-install grub, then it was good.
That was before I got this new fangled superior pc. My son wanted his monitor back and it was a 1440p, which was awesome but, I ended up getting a 2160p 4k monitor which still blows me away.

BTW, is anyone else using Xfce and while booting up, the top and bottom panels are invisible? Sometimes you can just click on the top where the panel would be and it appears and all is well. Other times you have to logoff and back on.
It may have something to do with my love of Compiz, etc. as I have a startup command fusion-icon -f

If I remember right when i first installed MX the panel was on the left side, so I moved it to the top and created one for the bottom. Some distros when you add the 2nd panel for the bottom it asks you if you want the default settings.
Which are bottom left icons for - Show Desktop, Internet Browser, and a couple of other ones. If it doesn't I create my own, which I did on MX.
Here is my current desktop and the 3 blue conkys in the bottom middle are scrolling the left 2 down and the music conky right to left.
Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki for Legacy/MBR and UEFI/GPT systems
Intel Core i7-4770K, Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-K, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 480GB OCZ VERTEX460 SSD

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:23 pm

BTW, is anyone else using Xfce and while booting up, the top and bottom panels are invisible? Sometimes you can just click on the top where the panel would be and it appears and all is well. Other times you have to logoff and back on.
It may have something to do with my love of Compiz, etc. as I have a startup command fusion-icon -f
I use compiz as well with an emerald theme. I am not experiencing panels missing at login.
By the way we are drifting off topic. Further discussion of this should be in a new thread.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by malspa » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:45 pm

vancouver wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 pm
Who is "not" using SSDs? :)
I'm not, but I haven't had any need to purchase one yet. By the time I do get around to it, I'm sure the deals will be a lot better than they are even now.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”