News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3.1 release info here

New users[/u
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Changelog for MX packages? [SOLVED]

Help for Current Versions of MX
skidoo
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Changelog for MX packages?

Post by skidoo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Synaptic tells me the source doesn't support changelogs.
That is probably referring to a different mechanism, i.e. that synaptic feature may rely on using "apt-get changelog packagename" to retrieve, on demand, the changelog file for a (one) particular package. Because "deb-src httpblahblah" lines are not present in our sources.lists by default (adds significant overhead to each apt update check), the apt-get changelog option is unavailable.

apt-listchanges, in contrast, necessitates download of each entire debfile.
After installing apt-listchanges, you could (mentioned the --which option, so I guess you already have) read its manpage, then
dpkg-reconfigure apt-listchanges
You can configure it to automatically display the changelog stanza for the current version of a package at time of upgrade, as part of the workflow. You can also configure use of the --confirm option, which will provide you opportunity to Y/n accept or decline upgrading a given package after having viewed its current version changelog details.
As rich mentioned, with apt-listchanges in place, the synaptic workflow should automatically popup a dialog displaying the changelog stanza for each to-be-upgraded package. (Interesting reading, if enabled temporarily/occasionally; eternally wading through those popups soon begins to feel tedious though.)

When launched from commandline, apt-listchanges will read the /usr/share/doc/packagename/ NEWS and changelog for an already-installed package, if the package installed those (exact) files. AFAIK, mx-packageinstaller (same goes for many other packages) does not https://github.com/mx-linux/mx-packageinstaller place a NEWS file. Check it: does /usr/share/doc/mx-packageinstaller/changelog exist? If not, that explains why commandline apt-listchanges reports nothing.

rich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rich » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Oh, i haven't used it in that capacity. Just to have the changelogs display during upgrades. I'd google, check the manpage, see what you can dig up
I read a book about Narcissism
And I loved it cuz
It was all about me.

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by timkb4cq » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm working on getting changelogs retrievable for the main repo packages.
There's an etc/apt/apt.conf.d config file fragment that needs to be added to make apt-get changelog work for MX. Synaptic has to be patched to make its changelog retrieval work because they ignore that configuration - I'll be contacting upstream eventually. And all the changelog files have to be uploaded to the repo.
I'm getting there.
If you put a file in /etc/apt.conf.d with this content

Code: Select all

Acquire::Changelogs::URI::Origin::"MX repository" "http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/@CHANGEPATH@.changelog";
you'll be able to

Code: Select all

apt-get changelog copyq
one of the few currently uploaded.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Redacted
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Redacted » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 pm

skidoo wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:17 pm
After installing apt-listchanges, you could (mentioned the --which option, so I guess you already have) read its manpage, then
dpkg-reconfigure apt-listchanges
Oops. I did read the manpage, but forgot to reconfigure.
It works with synaptic :happy: , which is really how I want to use it: while upgrading.
Thanks to you and rich for the help.
timkb4cq wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm
I'm working on getting changelogs retrievable for the main repo packages...
I'm getting there.
That's awesome. Thanks for the work.

Redacted
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Redacted » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:14 pm

May I mark this solved?
Synaptic from the test repos gave me changelogs for every MX package today.
Excellent!

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Redacted wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:14 pm
May I mark this solved?
Synaptic from the test repos gave me changelogs for every MX package today.
Excellent!
In addition I'm reworking most of the packages to add a "Changelog" button in the "About" menu. You can see that in mx-bootrepair, mx-cleanup and a number of other packages that got updates recently.

Thanks for the feedback, that drives us to improve things.

Return to “MX Help”