-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Changelog for MX packages? [SOLVED]

Help for Current Versions of MX
skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Changelog for MX packages?

#11 Post by skidoo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Synaptic tells me the source doesn't support changelogs.
That is probably referring to a different mechanism, i.e. that synaptic feature may rely on using "apt-get changelog packagename" to retrieve, on demand, the changelog file for a (one) particular package. Because "deb-src httpblahblah" lines are not present in our sources.lists by default (adds significant overhead to each apt update check), the apt-get changelog option is unavailable.

apt-listchanges, in contrast, necessitates download of each entire debfile.
After installing apt-listchanges, you could (mentioned the --which option, so I guess you already have) read its manpage, then
dpkg-reconfigure apt-listchanges
You can configure it to automatically display the changelog stanza for the current version of a package at time of upgrade, as part of the workflow. You can also configure use of the --confirm option, which will provide you opportunity to Y/n accept or decline upgrading a given package after having viewed its current version changelog details.
As rich mentioned, with apt-listchanges in place, the synaptic workflow should automatically popup a dialog displaying the changelog stanza for each to-be-upgraded package. (Interesting reading, if enabled temporarily/occasionally; eternally wading through those popups soon begins to feel tedious though.)

When launched from commandline, apt-listchanges will read the /usr/share/doc/packagename/ NEWS and changelog for an already-installed package, if the package installed those (exact) files. AFAIK, mx-packageinstaller (same goes for many other packages) does not https://github.com/mx-linux/mx-packageinstaller place a NEWS file. Check it: does /usr/share/doc/mx-packageinstaller/changelog exist? If not, that explains why commandline apt-listchanges reports nothing.

rich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by rich » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Oh, i haven't used it in that capacity. Just to have the changelogs display during upgrades. I'd google, check the manpage, see what you can dig up
MX 17.1 Dell Inspiron N5110

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by timkb4cq » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm working on getting changelogs retrievable for the main repo packages.
There's an etc/apt/apt.conf.d config file fragment that needs to be added to make apt-get changelog work for MX. Synaptic has to be patched to make its changelog retrieval work because they ignore that configuration - I'll be contacting upstream eventually. And all the changelog files have to be uploaded to the repo.
I'm getting there.
If you put a file in /etc/apt.conf.d with this content

Code: Select all

Acquire::Changelogs::URI::Origin::"MX repository" "http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/@CHANGEPATH@.changelog";
you'll be able to

Code: Select all

apt-get changelog copyq
one of the few currently uploaded.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Redacted
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by Redacted » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 pm

skidoo wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:17 pm
After installing apt-listchanges, you could (mentioned the --which option, so I guess you already have) read its manpage, then
dpkg-reconfigure apt-listchanges
Oops. I did read the manpage, but forgot to reconfigure.
It works with synaptic :happy: , which is really how I want to use it: while upgrading.
Thanks to you and rich for the help.
timkb4cq wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm
I'm working on getting changelogs retrievable for the main repo packages...
I'm getting there.
That's awesome. Thanks for the work.
MX 17.1

Redacted
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by Redacted » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:14 pm

May I mark this solved?
Synaptic from the test repos gave me changelogs for every MX package today.
Excellent!
MX 17.1

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Redacted wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:14 pm
May I mark this solved?
Synaptic from the test repos gave me changelogs for every MX package today.
Excellent!
In addition I'm reworking most of the packages to add a "Changelog" button in the "About" menu. You can see that in mx-bootrepair, mx-cleanup and a number of other packages that got updates recently.

Thanks for the feedback, that drives us to improve things.

Return to “MX Help”