News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

is MX a continuous upgrade OS or does it have to be reinstalled

Help for Current Versions of MX
pinotnoir
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: is MX a continuous upgrade OS or does it have to be reinstalled

Post by pinotnoir » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of the help and comments and counsel. I will have to ponder this all before i make the move. my systems are crucial - and my wife - though she doesn;t use it much has important stuff. and she knows enough to be dangerous with linux

my 2 laptops i try to keep everything as close to the other and setup the same so i know where everything is as such.

one is daily work for most stuff and the other is my office one. so it is difficult to use one of the 2 as an experiment. sounds arrogant but wish i had another to use to try MX on system as opposed to a live dvd. then if that works and everything is smooth i would do them all. i just have each as a backup for the other as it is. and yes i do have usb and usb ssd drives for backup too. i am not into cell/dumbphones but i do use and rely on my linux laptops for all work, notes, files, articles, art, and farm,winemaking/ale/porter notes and vineyard stuff and all tractor and homestead notes....

JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: is MX a continuous upgrade OS or does it have to be reinstalledd

Post by JayM » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:33 pm

pinotnoir wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 am
i am to dumb to do the partition thing so i always just do a complete install in auto mode. i tried it one time following detail info but when i did have to do an update to a new version it never worked and wiped out my wife's files - and yes i backed up but it take time to tweak things and learn where everything is and how i want it and to do 3 laptops - it takes days.
You aren't giving enough information to let us tell you what may have gone wrong in your installation and how to avoid it in future. I don't know what you mean by having to update to a new version. MX 18.3 is the newest version there is. I also don't know what you mean by "it never worked". What never worked? Preserving (not reformatting) your wife's home partition? The installer won't format a partition that you told it not to, unless it's necessary to the installation and then it will tell you first and let you decide, so at some point in the installation you must have clicked next without reading the warning and allowed it to format /home or else you failed to select the option to preserve home. As far as I know MX is the only Linux distro that even attempts to save and reuse an existing /home partition and user data during installation. All the rest require you to backup first then restore afterward because they all repartition and reformat the drive during installation, so that is nothing to grumble about if for some reason MX did it too on your computer.

Of course any new distro is going to require time to learn where everything is, what its idiosyncrasies are how it does things vs. other Linux distributions (NO PPAS!), how to tweak it to your liking, etc. If your computers are that essential to your business or profession I suggest you think about whether there is a business need to change Linux distributions, beyond just "Ooh, MX is shiny and great and I like it!" If your current distro is working and meeting your professional needs, and if you can't afford the downtime should something go wrong during one of the installations, or if you can't afford the loss of productivity while you're learning your way around MX instead of working, I would say don't change to MX ... yet!

Just boot from your Live USB, press F5 at its boot menu and select perst_all then hit enter to continue booting, following all on-screen instructions, to have a full-featured MX Linux installation on the USB stick that can be taken and used anywhere. Or, in the F5 menu select frugal_static then when prompted, select an existing partition to use for your frugal installation (all it does is create a new directory and install some runtime files into it, and it renames the partition's volume label to "antiX-Frugal", neither of which cause any data loss). This allows your Live USB-based MX to run at hard disk or SSD speeds rather than being limited to USB speeds. If you also hit F8 on the USB boot menu it will save these boot choices, either persistence or frugal. Then spend several days or weeks booting from your Live USB and learning MX, tweaking things, etc. and, most importantly, thoroughly reading and studying the manual and the wiki. Then, if you still want to use MX and are ready to install it you'll be in a stronger position to do so and to fix any problems you may have yourself. Meanwhile you still have your intact existing distro and all of your data available for getting work done.

It sounds like you may be a farmer. orchardist or vintner (my guess is vintner judging by your user name.) If so, you probably have a slow time of year, probably during winter. That might be the best time to install MX and take your time doing so. Besides, MX-19 will probably be available by then. Meanwhile, there are people who have been running and using MX on a Live USB only for years.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

bin
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by bin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 am

JayM wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:33 pm
pinotnoir wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 am
i am to dumb to do the partition thing so i always just do a complete install in auto mode. i tried it one time following detail info but when i did have to do an update to a new version it never worked and wiped out my wife's files - and yes i backed up but it take time to tweak things and learn where everything is and how i want it and to do 3 laptops - it takes days.
... Preserving (not reformatting) your wife's home partition? The installer won't format a partition that you told it not to, unless it's necessary to the installation and then it will tell you first and let you decide, so at some point in the installation you must have clicked next without reading the warning and allowed it to format /home or else you failed to select the option to preserve home. As far as I know MX is the only Linux distro that even attempts to save and reuse an existing /home partition and user data during installation. All the rest require you to backup first then restore afterward because they all repartition and reformat the drive during installation, so that is nothing to grumble about if for some reason MX did it too on your computer.....
All the above is ultra sound advice. I would however point out that preserving /home if it is in a separate partition has been part of the standard Debian and thus Ubuntu installation since almost forever. It is also possible with Slackware and Redhat and has been possible and functional with almost everything I have used apart from one or two edge cases.

The MX installer makes it very visible - but of course it only works if the user has previously used separate partitions - which in the case of the above sounds unlikely. The only safe way to do that is of course to blank a drive and start again - but that requires a certain level of skill. It always struck me as odd that none of the various automatic installers does the intelligent thing rather than the technically wonderful of separating /boot /var / tmp or whatever which is irrelevant to most day to day users. The standard recommended plan is / /swap and /home so would this not be a simple add to the installer to make life easier and in the long term more flexible for those who lack the skills to do this and thereby avoid future pain?

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:29 am

bin wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 am
The MX installer makes it very visible - but of course it only works if the user has previously used separate partitions - which in the case of the above sounds unlikely. The only safe way to do that is of course to blank a drive and start again - but that requires a certain level of skill. It always struck me as odd that none of the various automatic installers does the intelligent thing rather than the technically wonderful of separating /boot /var / tmp or whatever which is irrelevant to most day to day users. The standard recommended plan is / /swap and /home so would this not be a simple add to the installer to make life easier and in the long term more flexible for those who lack the skills to do this and thereby avoid future pain?
No.

It works even if your /home is in root partition.

That's how I installed MX17 afresh over (one of) my MX15 installation - contained in a single partition - yet preserving my /home.

I asked the question here: viewtopic.php?p=429577#p429577

and then actually went ahead with it, with no problems.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

bin
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: is MX a continuous upgrade OS or does it have to be reinstalled

Post by bin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:51 am

Well blow me down!

I guess I should RTTFM :bagoverhead: :bagoverhead: :bagoverhead:

Return to “MX Help”