Wiki entry on locale

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
Jerry3904
Administrator

Wiki entry on locale

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

I was writing a HELP file for the MX System locales, and realized that we had no entry for locale. I drafted one, but would really like a careful review.

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/locale/

Nobody seems to pay attention to these requests lately (I have posted 2 without response), but I can't do everything myself...

:bawling:
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Wiki entry on locale

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You have a typo:
Wiki page wrote:Alternativelym you can open a terminal and enter the command
Extra m at the end of "Alternatively".

Looks good otherwise but I use Debian rather than MX so I may have missed something.

Perhaps you could also link (or copy from) the Debian wiki page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Locale
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks. I looked at the Debian page, but will look again.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#4 Post by Eadwine Rose »

MIght want to add that it also asks you to input your default locale, at least the sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales one does IIRC.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:00 am I was writing a HELP file for the MX System locales, and realized that we had no entry for locale. I drafted one, but would really like a careful review.
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/locale/
Will review ... over the weekend ... :snail:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

Great, thanks. What's there is just a first and minimal draft.

dreamer

#7 Post by dreamer »

My understanding: A "locale" is (at least) two settings in one.
1. UI language
2. Regional settings (country, date format, currency, 12/24 hour clock)

For example Skype and SeaMonkey don't respect time format so if locale is English-US will always display 12 hour clock (can be seen as bugs).

There are tools that can deal with this for example language-selector-gnome which was never ported to Debian. I think Mint has something similar called mint-locale.

https://screenshots.debian.net/package/ ... ctor-gnome

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
does not remove anything even if you uncheck locales. Bleachbit can remove unused language packs.

I don't think a user should be confronted with the word "locale" because it's not a thing in the real world and I don't understand why someone thought it was a good idea to invent "locale" as a substitute for two different settings.

language-selector-gnome isn't perfect, in fact I find it slightly annoying, but it does its job and normal people don't have to know anything about "locales" which is a big win for Ubuntu and Mint. This should be in Debian. Maybe we can crowdfund someone to port it to Debian?

fehlix
Developer

#8 Post by fehlix »

dreamer wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:04 pm My understanding: A "locale" is (at least) two settings in one.
1. UI language
2. Regional settings (country, date format, currency, 12/24 hour clock)
that's roughly it.
With release of MX18, we had introduced a locale- (language) selector within the login menu (upper right corner) in addition to the already existing keyboard selector.
So with this ability to set the locale at login (which I think is also sticky (?) ),
the need for setting the system locale is drastically redcuced.
Most user don't need those system wide setting of locale.
Might be there are still some tools running as root, which do not pass-over the user sessions locale,
for those it appears system locale is still needed, But this could be fixed with the starter of the tools itself.
dreamer wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
does not remove anything even if you uncheck locales. Bleachbit can remove unused language packs.
The point was not the removal of locale, but to set either system wide, or reduce the number of "complied" locales.
Lot's of other distro simply do not have locale-selector at login, hence they need to give a user a way to set the system locale.
A tools like gnome-locale or mint-locale are nice, OTOH I guess most MX user would not need to use those tools any way,
given that they have session locale set at login.
.. ok, application wise some languge-package update automatism for e.g. libre-office, firefox, thunderbird etc
would still be a nice enhancement compared to the current manually selection within MXPI...
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

dreamer

#9 Post by dreamer »

fehlix wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:35 pm .. ok, application wise some languge-package update automatism for e.g. libre-office, firefox, thunderbird etc
would still be a nice enhancement compared to the current manually selection within MXPI...
:puppy:
I think the localization support in MXPI works pretty well. The point I was trying to make is that language-selector-gnome makes a clear distinction between

1. Language
2. Regional Formats

It doesn't expose users to "locales", because that's a weird concept. Many people in the US only speak Spanish and many people in Europe don't speak the language where they live so what "locale" are they supposed to choose? (rhetoric question)

Anyway this is an academic discussion. If it works in practice then it's all good. I haven't tried the latest MX iso. I hope the language selector that you introduced on the LightDM screen is a language selector and not a locale selector... because it's not like you are teleported to a different place just by choosing a different language... ;)

Return to “Documentation and videos”