MX-18 Users Manual: Review (S3)

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
Jerry3904
Administrator

MX-18 Users Manual: Review (S3)

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

This is the section that takes most of my time during revision. I have not touched it again since the draft edition of a month ago, where I focused solely on the MX Tools. If you want the LO version, you can download it from the MXUM GitHub repo:

https://github.com/MX-Linux/mxum

IIRC, images outside the Tools section have not been updated so please pay attention to those. If an image needs to be replaced I would be VERY VERY GRATEFUL if you could attach it or send it to me by PM. I am also not sure if I update the image numbers as I went along...

This is a long Section, so I propose we keep this going for 10 days until the end of next week.

Thanks for any help!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX-18 Users Manual: Review (S3)

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Hello?! 3 days later and still total silence.

:snooze: :snooze:

To repeat myself: this Manual takes a lot of work, and I would really appreciate some help.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

some changes:

Basic steps
You can manage your scanner in MX Linux with the default gscan2pdf or simple scan

3.2.1 MX Updater (former Apt-Notifier)

3.2.4 Codecs Downloader
A codec is a piece of software that enables encoding/decoding a digital data stream or signal. Most codecs will be installed in MX Linux, but some are restricted. This tool allows easy installation of certain restricted codecs while transferring the responsibility to the user. Libdvdcss2 (for reading commercial dvds) and libtxc-dxtn0 (for certain 3D game textures) -will be installed as well.

Figure 3-20: Tweak ready to change the panel to the horizontal position.

I'm not quite through it, but I think a mention of the system-keyboard tool, and the fact that you can select both locale and keyboard from the login menu, just in folks miss every other opportunity to set them up.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Gordon Cooper

#4 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Will check the diagrams and their numbering over the next couple of days. Not quite back to normal yet.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

3.1.2 Printer
Using Printers (CUPS)
change:
In the dialog window enter root's password
to
In the dialog window enter your username and password

Change text (a typo)

Figure 3-20: Tweak ready to change the panel to the norizontal position.
to
Figure 3-20: Tweak ready to change the panel to the horizontal position.

3.3.4 Dual monitors

change last sentence of first paragraph
sometimes available with lxrandr (install if necessary).
to
sometimes available with lxrandr.

The whole section 3.7 Localization needs to be adjusted :exclamation:
to reflect addtionnal localizastion option we now have during login,
and system-locale and system-keyboard ...
... trying to adjust somehow in next days.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

3.1.2 Printer trouble shooting:

Code: Select all

If your printer suddenly stops printing, check that is still enabled by clicking Start menu
missing an "it".

If your printer suddenly stops printing, check that it is still enabled by clicking Start menu 

3.1.3 Scanner 
Scanners are supported in Linux by SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) which is an application 
probably needs a comma, as in

3.1.3 Scanner 
Scanners are supported in Linux by SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy), which is an application 

SSDs 
Increasingly, machines may have an internal SSD:

kind of awkward, change to something like

Newer computers may have an SSD drive,
Bluetooth

Check that your adaptor is enabled and it is visible by clicking Start menu > Settings > Bluetooth Adapters

adaptor should be "adapter".

3.2.1 MX Updater

An option for unattended upgrade is available in Preferences. It would happen in the background, and neither add new or remove existing packages.
Change "would" to "will" (grammar police!)

If you try to install non-authenticated packages, but you will run into an Apt error: 
remove "will" for better grammar

3.2.6 iDevice Mounter 
Another new app, this one is able to show the contents of an iPhone or iPad in Thunar.
Flows better with

This new MX app is able to show the contents of an iPhone or iPad in Thunar.

3.2.7 Live-usb Maker 
This straightforward tool has been upgraded for MX-17.1. It allows you to create quickly a live-usb starting from an iso file, a live -cd/dvd or an existing live-usb or even a running live system.
to

This straightforward tool has been upgraded for MX-18. It allows you to quickly create a Live USB starting from an ISO file, a Live CD/DVD, an existing Live USB, or even a running Live system.

3.2.10 Nvidia driver installer 
These graphics driver installer vastly simplify an important procedure: to install a proprietary graphic driver
to

This graphics driver installer vastly simplifies an important procedure: to install the proprietary Nvidia graphics driver
OK, more later...

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks people!

richb
Administrator

#8 Post by richb »

Since more important comments have been posted there is this minor one.
3.2.1 MX Updater (forner Apt-Notifier)
former
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Back to the Nvidia driver installer:
(using the underlying code ddm-mx).
replace with
, using the underlying ddm-mx script.

3.2.11 Package Installer
This upgraded application for MX-17.1 displays three tabs: Popular Applications, Full App Catalog and Console Output. With it you can install (or remove) both popular packages and any package in the MX/Debian Stable, the MX Test, Debian Backports and Flatpak repos in a simplified manner.
to
This upgraded application for MX-18 displays six tabs: Popular Applications, Stable Repo, MX Test Repo, Flatpaks, and Console Output. With it you can search for, install, or remove both popular packages and any package in the MX/Debian Stable, the MX Test, Debian Backports, and Flatpak repositories quickly, safely, and easily.
3.3.2 Graphic Drivers
For ATI cards, consult the Debian Wiki about open-source and proprietary drivers.
Since there are no proprietary AMD drivers available for MX 18, maybe we need to make this clear here, since users often seem to think there are and go off looking to install them. There are only free ati, radeon,and amdgpu drivers.

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

It is also possible, but more complicated, to download directly from the manufacturer. This method will require you to select and download the correct driver for your system; for system info, open a terminal and enter: lspci | grep VGA.
inxi -Gxx seems like a better command here.

Remove all references for going to AMD/ATI websites in the next section to get newer drivers.
Intel drivers must be compiled, but downloaded Nvidia are easily installed:
Intel and AMD drivers must be compiled, and newer versions of these are best left to the MX packagers, but Nvidia drivers directly from Nvidia can be easily installed with the sgfxi script:

Change following directions to get thee to a terminal and run sgfxi (twice, according to many users) from there.
• Another important driver option is mesa, an open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification - a system for rendering interactive 3D graphics. Users on high-performance machines report that upgrading this brings a significant stabilization to their system. The most recent version is usually available in the Test repo; use the MX Package Installer (Section 3.2) to get it. Alternatively, open a root terminal and paste in this command:
dpkg -l | grep $(dpkg -l libgl1-mesa-dri | awk ’{print $3}’ | tail -1) | awk ’{print $2}’ | xargs sudo apt-get install --force-yes -y
I'm not sure why this section is in there; we've always shipped libgl1-mesa-dri, and that command won't upgrade it from the test repo. The latter section should be replaced with
A more recent version may be available in the Test Repo; use the MX Package Installer (Section 3.2) to get it. Uncheck the box that hides the lib and dev packages, search for "mesa", and check off the packages that are upgradeable for installation.

Return to “Documentation and videos”