MX-18 Users Manual: Review (S2)

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
Jerry3904
Administrator

MX-18 Users Manual: Review (S2)

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

Moving on. This section has not been touched since the draft Manual of December 10, so people can just use that or go back to the GitHub repo and pull down S2.odt, as I explained in the first thread of this series.

The big topics:
  • How to come from Windows
  • Obtaining and installing MX-18
We updated most if not all of the images, but I haven't gone through the Windows section at all and would appreciate careful review.
-------
I will upload S1 as soon as I get a minute to incorporate all the great comments--for which, thanks!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

asqwerth
Developer

Re: MX-18 Users Manual: Review (S2)

#2 Post by asqwerth »

Section 2.2.1
- page 4: this ties in with the comments in the other thread about which download link should be found on the Home page. I think it only makes sense that the home page should contain the first link set out in sentence 1.

Section 2.2.3, "USB" section:
- I feel a warning about using dd from command line should be added. Suggest adding this right at the end:
"WARNING: be careful to identify your destination USB correctly in the dd command line string listed above, as the dd command will completely write over the destination device or medium named! You do not want to accidentally write over your data backup drive, for example.

To ascertain the correct device name/letter for your destination USB, type:

Code: Select all

lsblk
in the terminal and press ENTER.
A list of all devices connected to your system will be listed. You should be able to identify your destination USB by its listed storage size."
Then in the 4th bullet point above the warning, suggest the following consequential changes in red:
"If the graphic USB creators fail, use one of the command line options below (now in Live-usb maker). Let us assume your USB is identified as sde (the naming format is sdX, where X is a letter of the alphabet like a, b, c, d, e, and so on), then copy and paste this line......"

Section 2.3.1
- is it acceptable to advise people to also backup their fonts from Windows if they create a lot of documents with them? MX does make it easy to install the MX corefonts (or maybe they are already installed by default, I forget) but perhaps some of the newer fonts found in Windows might not be in that corefonts package?
- I recall backing up all my XP fonts, including some additional freeware fonts I had installed over the years (which I used a lot with Windowblinds previously to customise the windows in XP) before I wiped XP from the old PC. But it's been so long I can't even recall the file path for fonts in Windows now.
- the fonts came in handy for working with Openoffice and Libreoffice on my various distros, where corefonts was not available for install.

Last part of 2.3:
Swap size - just a reminder that there was a recent discussion and 2GB was said to be too small, right?

Pages 19 and 21
- figures 2-9 and 2-11 are from MX16, and the Papirus icons for the whisker command buttons have changed design.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

Could you post a direct link? I can't seem to find it on the github page:
https://github.com/MX-Linux

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Good stuff, thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

timkb4cq
Developer

#5 Post by timkb4cq »

KBD wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm Could you post a direct link? I can't seem to find it on the github page:
https://github.com/MX-Linux/mxum
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

timkb4cq
Developer

#6 Post by timkb4cq »

Minor correction
mxum wrote:2.2.3 Create the LiveMedium
DVD
Use a good quality writable DVD-R with a 4.7 GB capacity.
Should be
Use a good quality writable DVD-R or DVD+R with a 4.7 GB capacity.

I've had better luck with DVD+R than DVD-R - but that's drive dependent. Don't want users to think they need to go buy DVD-R blanks if they only have DVD+R.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

Got it, thanks

KBD

#8 Post by KBD »

timkb4cq wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 pm
KBD wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm Could you post a direct link? I can't seem to find it on the github page:
https://github.com/MX-Linux/mxum
Thanks!

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

Looks very good so far.
Under Browser Favorites, I'm not sure how you would word it, but Firefox and Chrome allows for signing in and syncing automatically of passwords and favorites/links. I leave it to you, but perhaps you could preface that section by saying something like: If you do not sign into your favorite browser and use syncing of bookmarks and online passwords you should back them up.
Just a thought.

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb »

Section 2,4,6 Temporary Suspend
Switch graphical driver (e.g., from radeon to fglrx, or from nouveau to the proprietary Nvidia driver)
Not sure how this should be worded but fglrx is a no go. Maybe
Switch graphical driver (e.g., from radeon to AMDGPU (for newer GPU's), or from nouveau to the proprietary Nvidia driver)
With Debian 9 and onwards, the only way to use AMD GPUs is with the free radeon driver (with its companion non-free firmware in firmware-linux-nonfree), or for newer GPUs, its successor, amdgpu (and on these, you could if necessary use the proprietary AMDGPU Pro driver).
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “Documentation and videos”