New features in MX Package Installer (Now with flatpaks)

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
dolphin_oracle
Developer

New features in MX Package Installer (Now with flatpaks)

#1 Post by dolphin_oracle »

http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: New features in MX Package Installer (Now with flatpaks)

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Hey, nice treatment of a topic that is not the easiest for many users to fathom, I imagine. Thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Redacted

#3 Post by Redacted »

Thanks for mentioning the 2 possible negatives for some folks (size and theming).
Thanks again for your videos.
Always clear for us slower people.

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

Very informative video, Dolphin!

Regarding theming, gtk flatpak apps can follow the system theme in use in MX, provided that the theme is one found in your flathub remotes and you have it installed. Themes are under runtimes, not apps, in flatpak.

So the default MX look, greybird and Arc dark, are installable from flathub remote.

As are numix and adapta, which are some of the more popular ones these days. Search for "theme" while in flathub "all available".

So say you apply greybird theme and Arc dark WM theme to the system after installing the flatpak equivalents. Open up a flatpak app. Fully gtk3 apps with client side decoration may only show up with greybird theme, but I think most other apps, possibly even QT ones will show up in greybird plus Arc dark WM theme.

On the other hand, adapta may be available in flatpak, but the "real system" version is not compatible with MX 15/16 so there's no point installing the flatpak version in a MX 15/16 system.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

On another note, the MXPI has become such an awesome installer!

I love that you can flip back and forth between so many different Repos to search for apps so quickly.

So kudos and thanks to Adrian and all the other devs who worked on the coding!
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:46 pm Very informative video, Dolphin!

Regarding theming, gtk flatpak apps can follow the system theme in use in MX, provided that the theme is one found in your flathub remotes and you have it installed. Themes are under runtimes, not apps, in flatpak.

So the default MX look, greybird and Arc dark, are installable from flathub remote.

As are numix and adapta, which are some of the more popular ones these days. Search for "theme" while in flathub "all available".

So say you apply greybird theme and Arc dark WM theme to the system after installing the flatpak equivalents. Open up a flatpak app. Fully gtk3 apps with client side decoration may only show up with greybird theme, but I think most other apps, possibly even QT ones will show up in greybird plus Arc dark WM theme.

On the other hand, adapta may be available in flatpak, but the "real system" version is not compatible with MX 15/16 so there's no point installing the flatpak version in a MX 15/16 system.
ah nice
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

oops

#7 Post by oops »

Hello
that's great, thanks, but why the choose of Flatpak and not Appimage (the more popular) , etc ... ?
(AppImage ,or, Snap , or, Flatpak, or others.)
FI:
https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit ... comparison

Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

asqwerth
Developer

#8 Post by asqwerth »

Snap = systemd needed.

Appimage is not 100% compatible outside of the distro base the Appimage was created on. [ADDED: based on what dolphin has said and also from the experience of testing dolphin's appimage for LUM)

See also :

https://kamikazow.wordpress.com/2018/06 ... 8-edition/

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/p ... tributions

oops

#9 Post by oops »

... Thank you, asqwerth, for these accurate information.
PS: (Appimage is interesting for me, mostly because it can run without installation, and can be used with (or without) different sandboxes)
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

oops wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:04 am ... Thank you, asqwerth, for these accurate information.
PS: (Appimage is interesting for me, mostly because it can run without installation, and can be used with (or without) different sandboxes)
Please note, I have nothing against Appimages and have the Libreoffice 6 and krita Appimages on my 2 MX15/16 installs.

Where available for a particular application, Appimages are very useful. But it's not really something for which you need a manager, IMO, since it's not as if you can update an appimage or even search for it from a central repository. Say you are using version 6.0+ Libreoffice in Appimage form. Then version 6.1+ is released. You'll need to download and make executable a whole new file, ie the 6.1 Appimage. If it doesn't come with a .desktop file, you'll have to make a new one for the new Appimage or edit your old 6.0 desktop file to point to the new Appimage file.

They are one-off stand-alone bundles, that's all.

Flatpaks are bundles as well, but they can share the same runtime within their own sandbox, and they can be updated. So let's say I'm using the latest Lollypop music player that runs on gnome 3.28 runtime. You install both the app and the runtime as flatpaks. Soon after, you decide you would also like to use the very latest Gnome Epiphany browser, which is also running on gnome 3.28. You only need to install the Epiphany app runtime since you already have the 3.28 runtime flatpak installed.

Return to “Documentation and videos”