Video: antiX (and MX) Frugal Install (with grub entry)

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
calinb

Re: Video: antiX (and MX) Frugal Install (with grub entry)

#11 Post by calinb »

I have an MX-17 RC1 SD card with live frugal / NTFS that I saved for testing with my Win10 NTFS partition. I've updated it (functionally it's production MX-17 now and not RC1) but it needs to be dist-upgraded again, which I assume will update with your changes, DO. If correct, I could test it with my Win10 NTFS frugal files. Does that sound worthwhile to you?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#12 Post by dolphin_oracle »

calinb wrote:I have an MX-17 RC1 SD card with live frugal / NTFS that I saved for testing with my Win10 NTFS partition. I've updated it (functionally it's production MX-17 now and not RC1) but it needs to be dist-upgraded again, which I assume will update with your changes, DO. If correct, I could test it with my Win10 NTFS frugal files. Does that sound worthwhile to you?
you won't get BitJam's changes to the live init system required for NTFS live-usb-storage to be writable, at least not automatically.

I copied these initrd files from a snapshot over to a live USB's /antiX folder and it seemed to work ok. You might try that with your frugal install if you want, just keep the old ones safe until you know these work or not.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Znj45 ... 0GqPbfRieR
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Buck Fankers

#13 Post by Buck Fankers »

BitJam wrote: Start with the live-usb with persistence, and then depending on how it goes, you might want to frugal install...
This is exactly what i will do. She has USB 3.0 and 8GB ram so her copy should fly ;-)

And thank you for all the education and explaining. It will help a lot!

fehlix
Developer

#14 Post by fehlix »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:38 pm https://youtu.be/6ZGTBUW3bnA
@dolphin_oracle, I‘ve just enjoyed your nice little 9min video. Well done!

As I'm preparing some iso-booting and manual-frugal stuff for Richard ;=) I thought I give you some feedback to your video.
You could have "squeezed" the video by about 2-3 minutes :alien: starting from minute 6 by considering the following easier procedure:
After Live-booting into frugal just copy within that frugal-booted system
the generated grub.entry to .../boot/grub/custom.cfg within Thunar as root.
I.e. you copy something like:
/live/boot-dev/antiX-Frugal-4.15.0-1-amd64/grub.entry
to /live/boot-dev/boot/grub/custom.cfg.
Or as CLI-example

Code: Select all

cd /live/boot-dev && sudo cp ./antiX-Frugal-4.15.0-1-amd64/grub.entry ./boot/grub/custom.cfg
That's it!
As custom.cfg will be sourced-in by grub at boot-time,
no extra booting to edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom and to recreate grub-menu to be required!

And you would have 2-3 min more time of your wonderful live! :turtle:
---
EDIT: This might even be a future feature request for frugal-install:
If found exisiting grub then copy/append grub.enty to custom.cfg :happybday:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Antediluvian

#15 Post by Antediluvian »

Hi guys. I am brand new to MX and fairly new to Linux. I am one of those ignorant point-and-click users some of you recently dreaded joining the forum.

I love the way you can test drive MX in persistent live mode and make snapshots or remaster the ISO, and if you get the OS where you like it you can install it without having to go back and do the mods again. After a few days of playing with MX live on a USB stick, I set up a frugal static install (root & home) on a 25 GB partition. Then I found this thread where the frugal install can be booted from grub rather than from my USB stick. Very nice! I used the method dolphin_oracle provided in the video (Mint 17.3 Xfce is the base system).

I was also interested in fehlix's command procedure so I gave that a try. The first command didn't create the custom.cfg file, but a slight path modification did.

demo@mx1:~
$ cd /live/boot-dev && sudo cp ./antiX-Frugal-4.15.0-1-amd64/grub.entry ./boot/grub/custom.cfg
[sudo] password for demo: 
cp: cannot create regular file './boot/grub/custom.cfg': No such file or directory
demo@mx1:/live/boot-dev
$ cd /live/boot-dev && sudo cp ./antiX-Frugal-4.15.0-1-amd64/grub.entry ./antiX-Frugal-4.15.0-1-amd64/boot/grub/custom.cfg
I don't know if there is a problem for both dolphin_oracle's and fehlix's methods to coexist, so I deleted the new custom.cfg file. Going to bed now, but I'll probably have some dumb questions in the future. You have been warned.
:wavehello:

asqwerth
Developer

#16 Post by asqwerth »

Antediluvian wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:44 am ...
I don't know if there is a problem for both dolphin_oracle's and fehlix's methods to coexist, so I deleted the new custom.cfg file. Going to bed now, but I'll probably have some dumb questions in the future. You have been warned.
:wavehello:
welcome.

The 2 shouldn't conflict.

the entries in a custom.cfg just show up in the grub menu after all the entries from the grub.cfg file.

and changes to the former will show up automatically in the menu on reboot without the need to regenerate the grub.cfg file through a

sudo update-grub
command.

that's why i use custom.cfg entries for my multi-distro computer and laptop.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

fehlix
Developer

#17 Post by fehlix »

Antediluvian wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:44 am

demo@mx1:~
$ cd /live/boot-dev && sudo cp ./antiX-Frugal-4.15.0-1-amd64/grub.entry ./boot/grub/custom.cfg
[sudo] password for demo: 
cp: cannot create regular file './boot/grub/custom.cfg': No such file or directory
$ cd /live/boot-dev && sudo cp ./antiX-Frugal-4.15.0-1-amd64/grub.entry ./antiX-Frugal-4.15.0-1-amd64/boot/grub/custom.cfg
The code given above by me was given for the scenario of the video, where dolphin_oracle had chosen the frugal_device to be the identical to the boot device of the system. The error message you have got above:
indicates, that you have chosen the frugal_device to be different from the boot device.
The custom.cfg has to be copied into folder /boot/grub of the boot-device, which is the folder where you also find grub.cfg. Only custom.cfg within the same folder as grub.cfg will be loaded by grub at boot time!
The methode presented by dolphin_oralce to edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom is the method provided by grub2 initially.
The developer of grub2 introduced later the custom.cfg-method through /etc/grub.d/41_custom to avoid that user need to regenerate the grub menu. The custom.cfg method will be read at boot time, where with the original method the re-generation of the grub-menu is needed. A further advantage of the custom.cfg method is that any format/editing failure will simply ignored at boot time by grub. An edit/format failure with the older method might result in a not proper generated grub-menu, which might result to make grub not show the menu and make the system unbootable. :snail:
--fehlix

oops

#18 Post by oops »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:38 pm https://youtu.be/6ZGTBUW3bnA
Hello,
Nice video Dolphin_oracle, frugal seems to be interesting, I will make a try ... The only suggestion I have, for the video, is to speak more slowly (English is not my first language, and I used to hear it sometime before, but not often now).
fehlix wrote:...The method presented by dolphin_oralce to edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom is the method provided by grub2 initially.
The developer of grub2 introduced later the custom.cfg-method through /etc/grub.d/41_custom to avoid that user need to regenerate the grub menu....
Here for me, the custom grub file seems to be located here (with ReFind installed):
ii refind 0.11.2-1~mx17+1 amd64 boot manager for EFI-based computers

/etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom

$ ls -l /etc/grub.d/
total 104
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  9783 févr. 11  2017 00_header
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  6258 févr. 11  2017 05_debian_theme
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12415 mars  12 23:35 10_linux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11281 févr. 11  2017 20_linux_xen
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   460 avril  1 00:51 21_memtest86+_proxy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   251 avril  1 00:51 40_custom_proxy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   460 avril  1 00:51 41_memtest86+_proxy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12059 févr. 11  2017 42_os-prober
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   171 avril  1 00:51 43_uefi-firmware_proxy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   260 avril  1 00:51 44_custom_proxy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   171 avril  1 00:51 45_uefi-firmware_proxy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   216 févr. 11  2017 46_custom
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  4096 mars  30 01:54 backup
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 mars  30 22:01 bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 avril  1 00:51 proxifiedScripts
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   483 févr. 11  2017 README

$ ls -l /etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/
total 12
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  526 avril  1 00:51 custom
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1570 juin  25  2015 memtest86+
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1418 févr. 11  2017 uefi-firmware
$ 
Last edited by oops on Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Redacted

#19 Post by Redacted »

Antediluvian wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:44 am I am one of those ignorant point-and-click users some of you recently dreaded joining the forum.
Hey, Antediluvian.
I don't think anyone dreads that. What people dread are those with bad attitudes who think everyone's wrong except themselves.
Welcome to the forum!

fehlix
Developer

#20 Post by fehlix »

oops wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:31 am ii refind 0.11.2-1~mx17+1 amd64 boot manager for EFI-based computers
/etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom
The custom.cfg method descript above, to place costom.cfg into /boot/grub/custom.cfg
of the boot device, shall work regardless how the grub-internal have been restructured.
So in your case it's even easier to user custom.cfg placed into /boot/grub/custom.cfg,
as 40_custom and 41_custom have been restructure/renameed somewhat else.

The rEFInd boot-menu can be used as a layer between UEFI-boot menu and grub-boot menu.
I always use rEFInd-menu to select one of the grub-menu's for different linux installations like MX Linux's
or other linux's installations.
--fehlix

Return to “Documentation and videos”