MX-18.3 Bare Server Edition respin

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
JayM
Qualified MX Guide

MX-18.3 Bare Server Edition respin

#1 Post by JayM »

Based on Manyroads' MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release running on a Live USB, I took it a step farther and created a "minimal-er" respin of MX for use as the basis for building a small server for use in a home or small office environment, removing everything that won't be needed on a server. It should be ready for use as a samba file and print server (for a connected printer.) Additional server software such as Apache, PHP, MySQL, and media server applications may be installed from the Popular Applications or MX Stable repository using the MX Package Manager (MXPI.) This respin can also be used as a base installation for applications such as pen testing, creating a Darknet-based secured OS similar to Tails, or for other uses that you don't want to be based on a typical desktop-oriented Linux distro with unneeded cruft such as creating your own custom respin with only the packages that you want installed.
  • Ran apt update and apt-upgrade so it has all of the current MX 18.3 updates as of today
  • Installed featherpad, qupzilla, samba
  • Removed adobe-flash-properties-gtk, adobe-flashplugin, alsa-tools, alsa-utilities, blueman, bluetooth, bluez, bluez-cups, bluez-firmware, bluez-obexd, bluez-tools, compton, compton-conf, conky-all, conky-manager, conky-toggle-mx, ffmpeg, firmwareintelsound, flac, flake, gstreamer1.0-alsa, gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio, icedax, ideviceinstaller, ifuse, imagemagick, imagemagick-6-common, imagemagick-6.q16, java-common, lame, mx-clocky, mx-codecs, mx-conk,y mx-conky-data, mx-idevicemounter, mx-iphone, mx-select-soun,d mx-sound-theme-fresh-and-clean, mx-system-sounds, mx17-artwork, mx18-artwork, nano, openjdk-8-jre, openjdk-8-jre-headless, opustools, pavucontrol, pulseaudio, pulseaudio-module-bluetooth, pulseaudio-utils, python-imobiledevice, soundthemefreedesktop, sox, speex, transmission-common, transmission-gtk, usbmuxd, volumeicon-alsa, vorbis-tools, wavpack, xfburn, xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin, xfce4-weather-plugin
  • Chose "none" as the default user wallpaper, added panel launchers for the Xfce Terminal and Qupzilla browser, added Clock to the panel
  • Copied contents of the demo home directory to /etc/skel
  • Ran MX Cleanup, remastered and created a general snapshot for distribution to others
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux-bse-respin/
Last edited by JayM on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:30 am, edited 8 times in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX-18.3 Bare Server Edition

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Sounds interesting! Please be sure to post the link in rasat's running remix thread.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: MX-18.3 Bare Server Edition respin

#3 Post by JayM »

Done.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

Good job! There was someone on here wanting to discuss the use of MX as a server. You might wish to open a thread on the topic.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

a small server for use in a home or small office environment
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

Sorry to be so dense, but I have been coding all morning... (weak excuse, I know). I did not realize this was a standalone thread when I wrote my previous comment. This is a GREAT thread for discussing MX servers. :lipsrsealed: :footinmouth:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

I originally thought about pre-installing Apache, PHP, SMTP/POP3, NFS, MySQL and all the server stuff I could think of to make this a "server in a box" respin, but then I luckily came to my senses and remembered that server sysadmins don't want any extra, unneeded services running that might prove to be security holes, so I just made this the bare minimum MX installation as a platform to build on by installing just what they want and nothing else, just as Manyroads did with his Minimal respin as a basis for building other MX respins with different DEs and tiling WMs. He actually did most of the work, I just removed even more things than he did. I asked myself "Is this needed on a server?" based on memories of my computer support/IT/sysadmin days in a prior lifetime*. When in doubt I left it, but when I was sure I removed it: audio, bittorrent client, extra wallpapers, Java all went byebye. Sysadmins do sometimes need Web access when they're at a server's console so I installed a lightweight web browser, and every computer should have a text editor to read READMEs if nothing else, so I put featherpad back. I also reinstalled Samba so it could do file and printer sharing OOTB, and people can install additional packages (and disable or uninstall samba) if they want to make a web server, mail server, DNS server or whatever, plus things like intrusion detection and system monitoring packages.

Someone could get a low-end file & print server like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/QNAP-TS-469L-D ... SwRcZcaY5G
and set it up with a RAID and some sort of additional backup solution like
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Storagework ... SwJqVc~3hP
install this respin, and set up samba shares for a network file server with every user having their own share on the server to save their files to, so if their computer died they wouldn't lose their data. Around $500 for a little office file server complete with tape backup: not bad! The only thing I'm not sure of is whether or not MX supports a software RAID controller for those who want to set up an old desktop PC that they already have as a file server instead of buying dedicated hardware, such as for home use when they want to just throw something together from their junk pile and spare parts stash without spending any money.

A person could also use this respin as a basis for making a system meant for "serious" use as opposed to typical desktop PC use, such as pen testing and similar security work for example.

A Linux server OS isn't so much a matter of having a lot of features, it's about simplicity, robustness, performance and security (Most are headless and don't even have a GUI.) MX has the first three in spades, and it's always up to sysadmins to secure their own systems anyway. MX is very quick to provide patched kernels whenever a new exploit or vulnerability is found, so I don't see any reason why this distro shouldn't be used as the basis of servers in a smaller, non-enterprise environment.

*I remember installing NT Server and being irritated at how long it took as it was copying .bmps and .wavs, as if a server needs those. I think even the games were included. This is more or less an MX version of NT Server with its GUI console but without all of that irritating cruft that if I were Microsoft I would have left out of their server products.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

An item for the server discussion thread: speaking as the person who made this, my first MX respin, I wouldn't recommend using MX Linux as the basis for a mission-critical production server. I would, rather, use a distro that's intended for that use and has a track record of security, stability and redundancy, has been built for use on commercially-made server hardware, and has excellent support for using it as a server.

This respin is meant more for people who want to experiment with repurposing an old desktop PC as a server: it's more for playing with, and not intended for use in critical applications. It could be deployed as an internal server in a small office environment, with the understanding that this respin isn't a real Linux server and that there are no guarantees regarding uptime and availability (especially if using a standard desktop PC as the server hardware without redundant power supplies and other hardware points of potential failure, a RAID, an automated daily incremental backup and weekly full backup solution in place, etc.) and it is entirely up to the person who chose to use it as a business server to make it work and keep it working. I would instead recommend using the respin as a home server for convenience in file- and printer-sharing, or as a media server so any machine on the home network could access your music and video collections, or as a backups storage server for your desktop/laptop machines to save their automated backups to, or similar non-critical uses.

One thing I would definitely do is disable the cron job that automatically checks for and applies updates. (I may actually make a newer version of the iso where that's already disabled). If someone goes ahead and uses this to build a serious server that users will be relying on to get their work done, I would advise that they also install an instance of it within a VM, enable the automatic updates there, and monitor and test them before (manually) applying those updates to the main machine, which I would do after normal business hours and at a scheduled date and time with the users being informed beforehand.

I'd also be very leery of deploying an MX server in a situation with an open Internet connection, outside of a firewall or within a DMZ, unless I knew what I was doing wrt hardening and securing such systems against intrusions or other attacks. While MX is probably secure enough for regular desktop use, you can bet your boots that if there's any vulnerability on a public system that has a direct Internet connection it will be found and exploited. I would also make myself aware, by subscribing to the MX blog, running an RSS app, and/or visiting the forum at least daily to keep myself abreast of any important announcements that might impact my server and my business.

m_pav
Developer

#9 Post by m_pav »

Certainly an interesting project. Will download and have a look when I can, though very busy working 13 hours a day for the next few weeks.
Basic servers really need a few more services available OOTB, such as RAID, and dynamic volume management, but I wholeheartedly agree with your positioning statement about this being a potentially good desktop based home media/backup server.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#10 Post by JayM »

m_pav wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:00 am.
Basic servers really need a few more services available OOTB, such as RAID, and dynamic volume management
Perhaps, but I didn't want to include a lot of packages that may not be needed in certain applications. By the way, which particular packages would you recommend for those two things?

Return to “MX Modified”