MX Ascii Respin - Devuan (final)

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
fehlix
Developer

Re: MX Ascii Respin (Devuan)

#11 Post by fehlix »

rasat wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:08 pm Here is the final fully functional ascii respin (v0.3) based on MX18.3. Includes 2 MX and 3 Devuan repos. Once beowulf (buster) is stable, easy to upgrade by changing the repos.
Thanks rasat. And good playground for some testing.
Just checking those VPN installer, PIAVPN and MullVAD do install fine and seem to run.
NordVPN needs some further tweaking as the installer checks systemd components,
so need to fix those as well for rasat's magic respin :anispider2: ...
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

rasat

Re: MX Ascii Respin (Devuan)

#12 Post by rasat »

fehlix wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 pm NordVPN needs some further tweaking as the installer checks systemd components, so need to fix those as well for rasat's magic respin
Nice if someone could look into this, as well as speed up the boot process. The boot speed is one of MX features, don't want to lose it. Currently gets stuck for 20 sec waiting for suspend/resume device by repeatedly running /scripts/local-block...

GuiGuy

Re: MX Ascii Respin - Devuan (final)

#13 Post by GuiGuy »

Thanks again rasat.
Now using version3, installed on hd over version2, preserving home.
Seems to be working fine :happy: .

GuiGuy

#14 Post by GuiGuy »

I think Devuan favours Apache Open Office instead of Libreoffice: why?

Edit:-
Sorry, I was wrong, Devuan prefer Libreoffice: their repos do not even include Openoffice!

rasat

#15 Post by rasat »

I just checked /var/log/apt/history.log when converted Debian to Devuan. There were quite lot of files either added or upgraded by Devuan. Without the compatibility to run GNOME and KDE, its relatively few packages from Devuan. This is not the case with this test aimed for all DE.

rasat

#16 Post by rasat »

I installed Gnome with all essential packages smoothly. The Gnome performance is much FASTER and RESPONSIVE than with systemd. LiberOffice, GIMP, etc. opens INSTANTLY. And this install also fixed the boot issue, now booting in less than 10 sec.

Aim was not for me to use this respin, just testing as an alternative for buster systemd only. But NOW seeing the performance, sysvinit is the REAL thing. :number1:
I will wait until stable beowulf. Respin upgrade will be next.

dreamer

#17 Post by dreamer »

Did you make this ISO with MX Snapshot?

rasat

#18 Post by rasat »

dreamer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:13 pm Did you make this ISO with MX Snapshot?
Yes, and works fine from MX Tool dialog box. All tools works fine, except Boot Option to enable theme due to Plymouth removal.

dreamer

#19 Post by dreamer »

rasat wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:26 pm
dreamer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:13 pm Did you make this ISO with MX Snapshot?
Yes, and works fine from MX Tool dialog box. All tools works fine, except Boot Option to enable theme due to Plymouth removal.
Sounds nice. Thanks for making this. I wonder if the upgrade path from MX Ascii to MX Beowulf is easier than MX Stretch to MX Buster because already systemd-free. ;) Only downside it's not really MX... :footinmouth: The antiX live stuff is missing, but I guess most MX users use an installed system anyway.

GuiGuy

#20 Post by GuiGuy »

AntX.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MX Modified”