Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX LXQT-kwin11 Spin

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
manyroads

MX LXQT-kwin11 Spin

#1 Post by manyroads »

Hello all.

I just completed building a new MXLinux/ LXQT-kwin11 spin/ install.

I have stripped out most, if not all, xfce4 related materials. I may have deleted a bit more than necessary... hopefully someone will let me know if I nuked too much or if there's more still that needs to be removed or replaced.

To summarize, neither Openbox nor xfwm4/xfce4 are part of this install. Also be advised that Conky does not appear in the LiveUSB session (I have no idea why), sorry. It does appear in the installed version.

Given I have found "very few' themes to use on this platform (LXQT-kwin11), I built a modified version of Oxygen for this install. If there are other themes beyond Plastique, Breeze, and oxygen that should be considered, please let me know where they might be obtained; I'll try to get them working in a future build. I think the modified oxygen theme makes this build look adequately 'professional' and 'modern', even though it is a 'very' light-colored theme. But then, what do I know?

Known bugs (features?)
1. The current icon theme(s) does(do) not support the LXQT panel sound widget (pavucontrol); as a result I have found no way to make the sound icon visible on the LXQT panel. So, I have removed the function (widget) from the LXQT panel.
2. There's a 'funky' thing with the menu corners on initial boot of the installed image. They are not rounded; they are square and spaced by about 5 pixels incorrectly. If you log-off and log-on, they seem to work correctly from that point. A mystery to me.

I tweaked an MX Conky to fit this install. Even though this Conky comes from the MXLinux repos, it will need some additional work; not all functions operate correctly. But I think this one, with a little bit of love from you or me, will look good with this desktop. btw. I use a 2 cpu pc Conky, so you may, also, need to adjust 'that' to suit your needs.

I, also, swapped a few of the MX standard GTK apps (like transmission) with those of their QT based brethren. There still remain a few U-gly gtk layouts to be fixed. (I'm not sure if my skills are adequate to that task.)

As a program launcher, I have implemented 'synapse' on this install. It is accessible via the Insert-key on your keyboard.

If you are familiar with LXQT, I hope you'll agree this looks a bit, maybe a lot better, than a typical 'vanilla' LXQT install. This 'snapshot' also takes advantage of the wonderful MXLinux tools.

Enjoy, try it out, and let me know what you think.

The snapshot is available for viewing, testing, comments, etc. at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4p717d53oywk ... wY91a?dl=0
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

fehlix
Developer

Re: MX LXQT-kwin11 Spin

#2 Post by fehlix »

manyroads wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:18 pm I just completed building a new MXLinux/ LXQT-kwin11 spin/ install.
Just a quick note, of some observations ( before it crashed within VirtualBox :eek: )
Conky:
Within /etc/skel/.config/autostart/conky.desktop
and $HOME/.config/autostart/conky.desktop
change Exec-line to:
Exec=sh .conky/conky-startup.sh

Not sure that's a good idea to have with LXQT qt5ct as a QT plugin helper:
I think better within /etc/environment don't set
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
either leave it out or set to:
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=lxqt

I assume agaida would rather recommend using LXQT's plugin instead ;=)
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

@fehlix, thank you as always.

I made the recommended conky fixes. I, also, removed qt5ct helper and change etc/environment to reflect that change.

I'm in the process of creating a new build and uploading. It will be v.02.

---The upload has begun.. and the .iso has been verified to work on my VirtualBox setup. Hopefully yours will be happy as well. ;)
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Prime Realist 8

#4 Post by Prime Realist 8 »

Hi manyroads,

Thanks for sharing. I've recently switched from Linux Mint Cinnamon to LUbuntu 18.10 in my search for something that uses a bit less CPU. I'm using an LXQT/KWin combo on it and I think it's a real winner but that Ubuntu base is still CPU thirsty (and seems to get worse with each release)... so of course Debian (or better still, MX) makes sense.

I'm a softy by trade so I might be persuaded to chip in if you're thinking of taking this beyond a quick experiment and we can garner some interest from others.

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

Hi Prime Realist 8

I have spent a bunch of time on the LXQt site forums. One of the devs there has made numerous serious recommendations for those wishing to run LXQt on a Debian base (I include ubuntu in that crowd). I think you may find that forum helpful in your quest!. I know I have. To give you a clue... much of what I have learned has to do with catching a moving train. ;) Enjoy.
Pax vobiscum,

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

If you're using Featherpad as the default text editor, we now have 0.9.1 in the test repo, and it's been working well for me. Most distros seemed to have missed packaging the update so far, though: https://repology.org/metapackage/featherpad/versions

Another QT-based text editor choice we've keeping current at 1.4.8 in the TR is notepadqq: https://repology.org/metapackage/notepadqq/versions

Prime Realist 8

#7 Post by Prime Realist 8 »

Thanks for the heads-up, manyroads and Stevo. I'll definitely take a look at that forum. :)

Return to “MX Modified”