Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Mx 17 Snapshot Mate Remix

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
balarm

Mx 17 Snapshot Mate Remix

#1 Post by balarm »

mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2
Distro: MX-19.3x64 patito feo October 21 2019
Machine: Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 1951A47 v: ThinkPad T60

fehlix
Developer

Re: Mx 17 Snapshot Mate Remix

#2 Post by fehlix »

Well, would you mind to provide some more information, about that
Link you posted. At least it would be more polite for the user
reading this forum to tell us what you are going to share with us.

Thank you for you cooperation.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

balarm

#3 Post by balarm »

Hi guys,you're right fehlix. I'm sorry didn't add any information about it.
The link I posted refers to the work of "francofait", member of Majorana Forum Team.
I thought it was a good thing to post this link for people who would like to have a look about this remix with mate.This is all.
Thank you
mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2
Distro: MX-19.3x64 patito feo October 21 2019
Machine: Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 1951A47 v: ThinkPad T60

kosnov

#4 Post by kosnov »

I was going to post a question to see if anyone has succesfully installed Mate in MX, and searching came up with WAY too many results, including whenever someone from overseas refers to someone as "mate".

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Mark K.
Iowa, USA
\m/ \m/

sdibaja

#5 Post by sdibaja »

Basic Mate Desktop installed via the MX Package Installer
... very basic. no Mate apps except Caja, not even Pluma.
==
I then installed the following with Synaptic in the order shown, arranged as Apt command for my later convenience

apt install atril desktop-base engrampa eom ffmpegthumbnailer gnome-user-guide libaacs0 libgphoto2-l10n libsasl2-modules mate-applets mate-icon-theme-faenza mate-media mate-notification-daemon mate-power-manager mate-screensaver mate-system-monitor mate-user-guide mate-utils murrine-themes pluma python-cryptography python-openssl va-driver-all mate-tweak caja-gksu mate-desktop-environment-extras caja-image-converter caja-image-converter caja-open-terminal caja-sendto caja-share caja-wallpaper dconf-editor mate-dock-applet mate-sensors-applet mate-user-share mozo mate-common mate-polkit task-mate-desktop mate-indicator-applet

there are redundant apps from the Xfce, working on changing preferences rather than deleting them...

Then created a reinstall ISO of the current state. I included about 5 GB of personal data so I was not sure it would work... It is 3.8 GB
I made a USB with my sanpshot ISO with the "MX Live Usb Maker" tool.
It booted fine, and I had all of my personal stuff in a live session.
I then used it to install alongside the original MX and it is working great!
===
Now back to the original to work on the little things

"a work in progress" but I am kinda happy

TWO kinda minor things:
1. The "trash icon" in the panel throws an error. I must have a missing package
2. Blueman keeps reappearing in the panel despite not having bluetooth hardware
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

kosnov

#6 Post by kosnov »

Thank you. I forgot I had seen it in the package installer a while back. Trash icon thing I could live with. Blueman icon would be annoying, but could live with that too.

I have seen it suggested to create a separate user if you plan to install another DE, that helps with conflicts. Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks for the list of programs.

~mark~
Mark K.
Iowa, USA
\m/ \m/

sdibaja

#7 Post by sdibaja »

It never occurred to me to use a separate user. Good concept.
In my use case it may not matter. I may not know enough to understand how it all fits together anyway.

I have put Mate on top of SolydX so I anticipated conflicts with two power managers and two screensavers. No problems with them yet.
my other "conflicts" are defaults that can be set in the Preferred Applications GUI.
also kinda messy in the menu, but the Main Menu GUI I can unselect the ones I think will not use.

I come from Debian Mate, this is a bit different but the MX created Goodies are great.
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

kosnov

#8 Post by kosnov »

I have always been an XFCE fan but a friend talked me into trying Mate, so I tried it with Mint 19 in VB. I like it, but it's not a deal breaker for MX, XFCE is still a solid choice.

I tried to use SolydX a few years ago and didn't like it. For some odd reason it wasn't stable, but Debian was ? I wanted to stick with Debian and XFCE but have more up to date programs. Thankfully I found MX for that.
Also tried Point Linux back then, and Sparky. I still have a USB with the Sparky rescue edition that I still use. I actually stuck to BunsenLabs - Debian with Openbox, for a while. Before discovering MX.

I am also liking what they are doing with Budgie. I can foresee it becoming more popular in the future.
Mark K.
Iowa, USA
\m/ \m/

sdibaja

#9 Post by sdibaja »

Personal preferences... Xfce seems limiting to me, and clumsy in a way... too many years with Gnome 2 I guess
too bad Point was abandoned, it was good... so was LMDE Mate, but Mint killed it in LMDE 2 and then abandoned it.

If you want to try Mate, try Ubuntu Mate... much cleaner and more solid than Mint Mate, and you avoid those dreaded Xapps to boot.

Better still Debian Mate and install the mate-desktop-environment-extras meta package
"This package installs an extra set of MATE components that are also part of the official MATE release."
if you do try Debian use the Live non-free ISO from here:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... so-hybrid/
it is a bit more to install and setup, but worth the effort.

MX does have awesome tools, it is actually fun
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

kosnov

#10 Post by kosnov »

It is limiting, I agree. It is harder and takes longer to set up and customize also, in my opinion. I like the way Mint Mate runs almost right out of the box. I have Ubuntu Mate on VB but I haven't played with it yet. I am a little weary of Ubuntu lately.
And if LMDE has Mate, it would probably make it a hard choice for me between MX and LMDE. I am not a fan of Cinnamon, although I have used it before on my laptop just out of laziness.
I like Debian but it takes more work to get to where you need to go sometimes. But the stability is almost worth it. Never tried it with Mate.
Mark K.
Iowa, USA
\m/ \m/

Return to “MX Modified”