Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX 17.1 Snapshot with compiiz

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
aledie

MX 17.1 Snapshot with compiiz

#1 Post by aledie »

Hi, I accidentally stumbled onto this video on Youtube, tried it for few days from a live USB. Impressed, it looks really pretty what he (Dave) did with MX-17.1, adding compiz, cube effects etc. His snapshot is downloadable on the top just below the video screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nLzDhQErag

I also like his idea of rather standard simple xfce panel on the top and generally artistic sense, first time I tried MX-16, icons loaded into the panel at boot up so slow on my older i5 compaq, that I got bad first impression 'not that snappy as claimed' and went back to Mint/ Antix for one more year before looked into and realized how great MX is.

Is the guy not here on forum? From the impression he's totally into MX, could put his snapshots into community repo instead of google drive, like Workbench/ KDE/LXQt. I'd usually rather not full install to HD otherwise.
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

asqwerth
Developer

Re: MX 17.1 Snapshot with compiiz

#2 Post by asqwerth »

Have you checked the Popular Apps tab of the MX Package Installer? Compiz is a one-click install from that (under "Window Managers" category). [ADDED: he might be using COmpiz 0.9 though, and MX uses Compiz Reloaded 0.8 series, which was revived and continues to be maintained, because it comes with more options than 0.9]

Theme: he's using Adapta, which is also a one-click from Popular Apps tab, under "Themes".

Panel at the top: use MX-Tweak.

His setup is very nice but I really don't think it's necessary to host a respin/snapshot just to have compiz added and those theming tweaks. Granted, you have to open up the compiz settings manager to enable the compiz cube and wobbly windows, but it's not a lot of work (and you can follow along with his video where he goes through his settings).

Right now the community repos only host snapshots by known people, e.g. MX Devs putting together their own personal projects.

No idea if he is on the forum. I've certainly enjoyed quite a few of his youtube videos though, and appreciate his enthusiasm to put together his own snapshot. That is what the snapshot tool is for, in any case.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

I would guess that he's using our compiz-reloaded, since the Debian compiz barely has any effects.

But I also seem to remember he reinvented the wheel in the past by running some script to build and install compiz-reloaded from the git source in the past on MX instead of checking to see if we already had it, so may have some weird setup going on.

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:25 pm I would guess that he's using our compiz-reloaded, since the Debian compiz barely has any effects.

But I also seem to remember he reinvented the wheel in the past by running some script to build and install compiz-reloaded from the git source in the past on MX instead of checking to see if we already had it, so may have some weird setup going on.
He appeared to be using the gtk window decoration dialogue window that comes with compiz 0.9 instead of the Emerald manager that comes with 0.8.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

aledie

#5 Post by aledie »

right, it uses compiz 0.9.13.1, metacity 3.28.0-1
other apps added: chrome, OBS, VirtualBox, Boxes, Kdenlive, ...
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

colin_b

#6 Post by colin_b »

I've just had a look at his latest video which shows a brief comparison of MX to Debian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAnTQK8xINU.

Wow.

It's a bit like comparing a Ferrari to a Reliant Robin.

Thanks devs!

:number1:

Return to “MX Modified”