MXStudio - unofficial respin

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
dphn

Re: MXStudio - unofficial respin

#11 Post by dphn »

Hi,
I've included in my MX-LMDE respin additional multimedia-tools too. It's not a studio version, but good editing tools like avidemux, audacity, handbrake, xfca-audioconverter and the winamp clone qmmp. For cd-ripping I've installed abcde with plugins and mkcue. For ripping DVDs dvd95 and devede included. For burning I've including xcdroast. A tool by a german developer based on cd-record and mkisofs.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

pianokeyjoe

#12 Post by pianokeyjoe »

Darn.. I use MX18 as my desktop/laptop daily OS for everything except audio and midi recording as the latency is so bad, hydrogen simple 4 beat was so out of sync I had to give up just making a simple 4 beat for playing my music along with. My default kernel is what ever comes with MX when you install it from the DVD/iso. 4.19 I believe. Sooo....any update? AV Linux is nice but it loads so very slow from the DVD that it boggles me mind. It does however, work good for the audio and midi. I used it to test sound cards I bought on ebay to test they worked. So hey hey! Linux is better than windows when you can test hardware without having to install drivers first and risk crashing the OS IF the card is bad or the drivers are wrong. Anywho, since MX is so friendly and well put together I wanted a MUSIC/Pro AUDIO production version. We are in May 2019 so something should be out there right?
Pianokeyjoe
Intel i5 3.10ghz ,8GB ram, Intel onboard everything, 500GB HDD, MX-LINUX 19.3 :penguin:

sunrat

#13 Post by sunrat »

Any distro will be slow loading from DVD, better to use a USB key instead. And much better still to install and run it from an internal HD or preferably an SSD.
Why don't you install AVLinux rather than running it live? That's what I use and it boots incredibly fast and is very responsive. And I'm the person who made the MXStudio respin, which is based on AVLinux anyway.
I am planning to do an update of MXStudio in a couple of months but it won't be substantially different than installing the current iso and doing a full upgrade.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#14 Post by JayM »

pianokeyjoe wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:24 pm Darn.. I use MX18 as my desktop/laptop daily OS for everything except audio and midi recording as the latency is so bad, hydrogen simple 4 beat was so out of sync I had to give up just making a simple 4 beat for playing my music along with. My default kernel is what ever comes with MX when you install it from the DVD/iso. 4.19 I believe. Sooo....any update? AV Linux is nice but it loads so very slow from the DVD that it boggles me mind. It does however, work good for the audio and midi. I used it to test sound cards I bought on ebay to test they worked. So hey hey! Linux is better than windows when you can test hardware without having to install drivers first and risk crashing the OS IF the card is bad or the drivers are wrong. Anywho, since MX is so friendly and well put together I wanted a MUSIC/Pro AUDIO production version. We are in May 2019 so something should be out there right?
Try one of the Liquorix kernels from the MX Test repo instead.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

sunrat

#15 Post by sunrat »

JayM wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:23 pmTry one of the Liquorix kernels from the MX Test repo instead.
Liquorix kernel is used in MXStudio but there are a few other tweaks to make it more optimised for low latency audio use.

Also it would be nice if you don't full quote posts but edit it to only show which part you are actually replying to.

pianokeyjoe

#16 Post by pianokeyjoe »

Wow guys! Thankyou for the responses! It shows that there are more interested parties out there for this like me. Well as for AVlinux,and installing it instead of Live DVD, I actually wanted a live, READ ONLY full fledged Music OS like what loads on a Korg Kronos 2 keyboard(this uses Linux and a mini itx intel PC inside),but without having to pay $3000 for it. And yes, it would be on an SSD. BUT, MXlinux is just more familiar to me as it is what I use everyday as my desktop OS. My goal, MX or AVL is the same, a fast loading READ ONLY SSD based Music production OS that runs off RAM in real time but has a separate writable disk or partition for music recordings,downloads,samples, and so on. Now peep this, I have succeeded at DDing such a MXlinux live to USB flash or USB HDD/SSD, with said separate partition BUT, it only boots off USB, not off the SATA bus!! So no internal SSD read only drive OS yet.
Pianokeyjoe
Intel i5 3.10ghz ,8GB ram, Intel onboard everything, 500GB HDD, MX-LINUX 19.3 :penguin:

sunrat

#17 Post by sunrat »

I just happened to be on Sourceforge and checked my download stats for MXStudio. A whole 93 in a year! Well a year is 5 days off. :happybday:
I was planning to update MXS but as MX19 is threatening to rise over the horizon some month soon, I'll hold off till then. I've already tried Buster/KDE for some audio production and it's good, but I have a feeling some of the improvements in the new Xfce 4.14 will make a big difference in usability especially for programs like Harrison Mixbus which I use extensively.
I was fascinated to see the breakdown of downloads by country and OS:
Interesting that all downloads from China were from Windows, while all from Japan and Russia were from Linux.

Auro Kumar Sahoo

#18 Post by Auro Kumar Sahoo »

That's great.
I would suggest to make MX studio in 2 part, 1. MX audio studio, and another MX visual studio.
Audio studio may include all that's now but please make a graphic studio which is dedicated to design and photography, and may consider including gimp, darktable, raw therapy, inkscape, scribus..
And last request, please make graphic studio on KDE, as KDE support to graphics related is far better than anything, for example dolphin and gwenview has far better support for Raw photo even rendering and preview time is better, preview in KDE support video preview too. KDE application like KDElive and Karbon etc performance is better and integrity better on KDE
KDE is now a days very less buggy and resources utilisation par xfce.

Thanks for your initiatives for a multimedia MX building

AKS
Wallpapers for mx : https://www.flickr.com/photos/aurokumar ... 2672882131 & page2
MX help : https://mxlinux.org/manuals/

दुर्लभम् हि सदा सुखम् ||{Ramayan २-१८-१३}
To be happy always is something which is difficult to achieve.

sunrat

#19 Post by sunrat »

Sorry, I won't be doing a graphics studio as it's not my line of work. I know some basics and tricks for optimising audio, and know a few obscure programs and plugins etc. that add good functionality. For graphics tweaks I know nothing special.
I do use KDE on my everyday main system and there are some excellent graphics programs. Digikam is great and Gwenview is nice for a viewer with basic editing functions. However I wouldn't use any DE with MX apart from Xfce, been there, done that, wasn't happy. The MX devs do a fine job with Xfce and it's a shame to spoil that.
KDE is really good on Buster and I would recommend using that if you want a KDE distro.

Kor Ben

#20 Post by Kor Ben »

sunrat wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:04 am I just happened to be on Sourceforge and checked my download stats for MXStudio. A whole 93 in a year! Well a year is 5 days off. :happybday:
I was planning to update MXS but as MX19 is threatening to rise over the horizon some month soon, I'll hold off till then. I've already tried Buster/KDE for some audio production and it's good, but I have a feeling some of the improvements in the new Xfce 4.14 will make a big difference in usability especially for programs like Harrison Mixbus which I use extensively.
I was fascinated to see the breakdown of downloads by country and OS:
Interesting that all downloads from China were from Windows, while all from Japan and Russia were from Linux.
Keep it on, bound to go big in Japan! :)

And maybe drop a line over at https://linuxmusicians.com if looking for a broader Buster userbase. I don't think there any other spins over there that does the install+live+frugal as MX does and the frugal storage option could make sense for those users who carefully nurture their realtime audio system as LTS as possible and don't want to mix it up with other usage.

I'd prefer a smaller iso but nothing stops me from pulling out the unneeded parts myself so thanks for laying out the ground work.

Return to “MX Modified”