Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
asqwerth
Developer

Re: LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

#41 Post by asqwerth »

Does the KDE version of the update notifier work? I've never seen it pop up in my VM, even after waiting an hour, and I tend to just give up and update manually from terminal.

The repos are switched to the usual ones I use, ie Italy for MX repos, and HK for Debian repos.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Adrian
Developer

#42 Post by Adrian »

It worked well for me in my tests.

arjaybe

#43 Post by arjaybe »

The update notifier doesn't seem to work automatically for me either, but it pops up immediately if I do an apt-get update.
Green Comet
Space particles.

asqwerth
Developer

#44 Post by asqwerth »

arjaybe wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:22 pm The update notifier doesn't seem to work automatically for me either, but it pops up immediately if I do an apt-get update.
Yep, but that isn't very helpful.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Adrian
Developer

#45 Post by Adrian »

I'm not sure how KDE deals with that, I guess I will have to leave it on for a day-two to see if it picks updates. You could also set a "apt-get update" cron job to update as often as you want... DPKG probably has a setting that handles that too.

asqwerth
Developer

#46 Post by asqwerth »

Adrian wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:20 pm I'm not sure how KDE deals with that, I guess I will have to leave it on for a day-two to see if it picks updates. You could also set a "apt-get update" cron job to update as often as you want... DPKG probably has a setting that handles that too.
Did yours pick up updates?

I don't keep booted up to the same distro so my MX-KDE VM is closed in one distro and opened in another the next day. But still, all my other MX VMs will display updates within 30-60 mins at most after bootup. This one just sits there not showing updates in the notification icon until I do a

sudo apt update

in terminal, which defeats the purpose of the update notification.

Is cron or anacron a service that needs to be started? Is there a way to check if it's enabled or something?

dreamer

#47 Post by dreamer »

A few thoughts.

I installed KDE via MXPI and was greeted by a barely usable desktop. Is this what you get when installing 500+ packages?. Luckily it wasn't my main desktop. I felt like I had polluted a nice Xfce distro with useless KDE packages. Not a big deal. But anyone installing KDE via MXPI is in for a disappointment. I remember that MATE from MXPI was pretty barebones too, so I think there should be some sort of warning that those DEs require many additional packages to be "fully functional" - not only functional enough to load the desktop.

This KDE spin is totally different. You are greeted by a good looking and fully functional KDE desktop. KDE is always impressive, but sometimes it's a little crash prone. It didn't crash during my relative short test. What I like about KDE: Advanced window manager, advanced file manager, integrated mail client, integrated GUI for localization and regional settings.

What I dislike about KDE: It feels like an all or nothing affair.

I didn't miss update notifications, because it's the first thing I disable in distros. I didn't miss xapian indexing in Synaptic, because xapian is the first thing I uninstall - it's so slow.

My initial impression of this KDE spin is very good. I spent many many hours making the perfect personal snapshot of MX Linux. Now I have to do one based on this KDE spin as well... Anyway it's a nice "problem" to have.

When KDE is stable it's seriously good. So thanks for this spin Adrian. I'll explore it more maybe once a week and report if I find something interesting. QT5 feels really good, I prefer it to GTK3. The main weakness of KDE is often the Plasma desktop shell. We'll see if Plasma is stable. It's version 5.8 (LTS edition I believe) so my hopes are high.

Adrian
Developer

#48 Post by Adrian »

Thanks, as you use it please report problems or wishes for default programs.

KBD

#49 Post by KBD »

Is the KDE spin still working well? Thinking about giving this a shot on one of my laptops.

dreamer

#50 Post by dreamer »

Adrian wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:12 pm Thanks, as you use it please report problems or wishes for default programs.
I haven't used it a lot. I haven't encountered any problems so far. I have one wish and that would be to include the Kvantum theme engine and Theme Manager. I don't know if this is possible. I think Kvantum was included in Stevo's KDE4 spin based on MX-16. Kvantum has been updated for KDE5, but it seems the newest releases require QT/KDE > 5.11.
KBD wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:48 pm Is the KDE spin still working well? Thinking about giving this a shot on one of my laptops.
Still? It's version 18.09 from September. ;) I think you should try it. It would be nice if we could get a little more momentum behind this. From my short experience it works well as is. I even noticed Quick Search in Synaptic so xapian indexing seems to be working. Maybe it required a reboot. Some things may require a little time to kick in after a snapshot. For example cursor theme in Xfce seems to be broken/default in QT applications after a snapshot. So after a snapshot you have to change your cursor theme and then back again and it will get picked up by QT applications. I think small things like that can happen after a snapshot and maybe it happened to Quick Search in Synaptic. Now it is working and I haven't done anything, not even updates.

Return to “MX Modified”