Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
KBD

Re: LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

#11 Post by KBD »

Booted up LXQt and it looks quite nice. I had issues with Connman though. It connected to my Internet, or at least said it did, but I could never get a proper connection and it crashed and refused to relaunch after I tried to disconnect and reconnect.
Overall it looked like a nice lightweight DE. As previously said--I think it is one to watch as it matures.

eselma

#12 Post by eselma »

First things first: many thanks, Adrian for this work, and deserved kudos.
Just tried the KDE respin, it works flawlessly on my main desktop. Of course, you must choose between the former MX application and the KDE counterpart; it is matter of taste (and space, perhaps).
The only problem I found up to now is an old bug of KDE in Stretch: if you have the volume set, say at 30% and happen a sound notifying, volume raises at 100%, very annoying. In my case, it could be fixed with a simple edition in the file /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, setting the value flat-volumes = no. Usually this value is hashed (#) and set to 'yes'. I am not sure if it come in the skeleton or is a KDE/Pulse Audio bug. Anyway, it seemed fixed in the last installations of Stretch I did.
But be assured that this respin will be kept on my hard disk, you can be proud of your work.
MX-21.3_x64 KDE Plasma / ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A / Intel Core i5-7500 / Intel HD Graphics 630 + i915 /1920 x 1080 pxl
Net: Realtek RTL8192EE + Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 / HDD: 1 x SSD PLUS (1 TB); 2xST2000 (2x2 TB) / DVDRAM HL-DT.

Adrian
Developer

#13 Post by Adrian »

sunrat wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:55 am I'm a long-time KDE user and definitely a fan. But I agree with you, I always switch back to the classic style Application Menu. Just right click on the menu icon with widgets unlocked and select "Alternatives" to change it.

Seems these are quite popular already. I just started downloading and noticed you have 192 downloads this week.

Edit, a bit later - just fired it up live in VBox and launched a few applications. Seems to work well! ;)
I got a bit over 300 downloads by now, not sure if that can be called popular though. It was a useful experiment I learned some stuff and fixed icons of MX apps for KDE with this occasion. I will probably do a update ISO next month with regular updates and maybe do slight modifications, I will probably remove lightdm-gtk for example (I'm trying to clean these Qt and KDE images of gtk stuff as much as I can).

baldyeti

#14 Post by baldyeti »

Hello Adrian, I may have overlooked the info from one of the earlier posts , but is this remaster based on stretch/KDE 5.8 or NeptuneOS/KDE 5.12 ?

Also (sorry to somewhat hijack the thread) while playing with Plasma 5.12 added to my MX17 install, I noticed some of the mx tools behave a little oddly under KDE (not as under XFCE, at least the USB writer IIRC). Is there a thread devoted to these tools where it might be worth reporting ?

Adrian
Developer

#15 Post by Adrian »

It's based on Stretch, I don't intent to go out of the regular sources with these respins. You can let me know here how are the MX tool misbehaving in KDE. However, keep in mind they were not built on or for KDE.

baldyeti

#16 Post by baldyeti »

I only remember the "advanced" options of live-usb-maker not showing up when clicking that button (under Plasma 5.12) although it works (naturally) from XFCE. Maybe this has been corrected already by an update i received since noticing; i'll check tonight from home. I understand the tools are primarily developed/tested for XFCE but it is still nice to have them working if one installs another DE alongside.

Adrian
Developer

#17 Post by Adrian »

baldyeti wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:58 am I only remember the "advanced" options of live-usb-maker not showing up when clicking that button (under Plasma 5.12) although it works (naturally) from XFCE. Maybe this has been corrected already by an update i received since noticing; i'll check tonight from home. I understand the tools are primarily developed/tested for XFCE but it is still nice to have them working if one installs another DE alongside.
Thanks, I will check it on Stretch KDE, yeah, of course it is nice if they just work, that's what I'm trying, I only mentioned that because some tools are really not meant for other environments, like MX Tweaks for example.

baldyeti

#18 Post by baldyeti »

i've clicked around a couple mx utilities and the only oddity i can confirm is that the "advanced options" button of the usb-live -maker does *not* expand the dialog to reveal additional controls. This is with KDE 5.12 (from the neptune repository) on MX17.1 The system is using the regular QT 5.7 libraries from stretch, so i am curious to know if you are seeing the same with plasma 5.8. Anyway, just something i had noticed and thought i'd report. Thanks for those wonderful tools.

Earl57

#19 Post by Earl57 »

Well I downloaded the KDE respin and installed it to a new ssd in my wife's laptop.(Toshiba c655) It took me a little while to remember the tweaks to get it to my liking, but WOW! it is fast! Apps like Libreoffice that took 10-12 seconds load in 2-3 seconds! And I have all the mx tools! I have always been a KDE fan, since SM3.4.x. I currently am using Mepis12 on Debian 8 on most of my machines. I have had much difficulty trying to upgrade M12 to Debian9, mainly due to dependency hell and pinned files. I finally broke the system where it would not boot to a desktop, so I reinstalled Mepis-D8. Thanks to you, Adrian, I now have a KDE version of mx that will finally allow me to move on to the latest and greatest-MX plus KDE!

I know it is an unofficial release, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a large number of new users join the mx fold due to your efforts!

Thanks again
Robert Earl S.

Adrian
Developer

#20 Post by Adrian »

Thanks for the kind words Earl57, it's nice to see this is useful. Let me know if something doesn't work as it should or if you have any suggesting regarding apps selection (in order of preference: native KDE apps, then Qt apps, then GTK apps)

Return to “MX Modified”