Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
KBD

Re: LXQt and KDE respins - personal projects

#51 Post by KBD »

Thanks!
Will give the KDE spin a shot this weekend.

Stevo
Developer

#52 Post by Stevo »

dreamer wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:07 pm
Adrian wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:12 pm Thanks, as you use it please report problems or wishes for default programs.
I haven't used it a lot. I haven't encountered any problems so far. I have one wish and that would be to include the Kvantum theme engine and Theme Manager. I don't know if this is possible. I think Kvantum was included in Stevo's KDE4 spin based on MX-16. Kvantum has been updated for KDE5, but it seems the newest releases require QT/KDE > 5.11.
KBD wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:48 pm Is the KDE spin still working well? Thinking about giving this a shot on one of my laptops.
Still? It's version 18.09 from September. ;) I think you should try it. It would be nice if we could get a little more momentum behind this. From my short experience it works well as is. I even noticed Quick Search in Synaptic so xapian indexing seems to be working. Maybe it required a reboot. Some things may require a little time to kick in after a snapshot. For example cursor theme in Xfce seems to be broken/default in QT applications after a snapshot. So after a snapshot you have to change your cursor theme and then back again and it will get picked up by QT applications. I think small things like that can happen after a snapshot and maybe it happened to Quick Search in Synaptic. Now it is working and I haven't done anything, not even updates.
We have kde-style-kvantum in our repos for MX 17--it has plugins for both Qt 4 and Qt 5 used in KDE 5. Since we build it from source on Stretch, it's fine with our Qt 5.7.1.

Though it's not named just "kvantum", searching for that in Synaptic or the MX Test Repo Package Installer brings it up.

I only built the Qt 4 version for MX 15/16, since the theming for Qt 5 requires at least Qt 5.4, and we only have Qt 5.3.2 there.

dreamer

#53 Post by dreamer »

Stevo wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:15 pm
We have kde-style-kvantum in our repos for MX 17--it has plugins for both Qt 4 and Qt 5 used in KDE 5. Since we build it from source on Stretch, it's fine with our Qt 5.7.1.

Though it's not named just "kvantum", searching for that in Synaptic or the MX Test Repo Package Installer brings it up.

I only built the Qt 4 version for MX 15/16, since the theming for Qt 5 requires at least Qt 5.4, and we only have Qt 5.3.2 there.
Thanks, excellent news. I was searching MXPI and Synaptic for kvantum without realizing I was offline and repos had never been refreshed so I was only searching installed packages and that's why I didn't find it. :bagoverhead:

Looking forward to try this on my KDE computer. :puppy:

KBD

#54 Post by KBD »

KDE is working great on MX so far. I'm using the Breeze dark theme. I installed kvantum but it isn't showing up in themes.
KDE is quite nice on MX.

Stevo
Developer

#55 Post by Stevo »

It should show up in the KDE Settings/Application Style and Behavior/Widget Style. When you set it there, you can then run Kvantum Manager from the Settings section of the main desktop's menu and set the specific Kvantum theme there, along with lots of other tweaks for it.

KBD

#56 Post by KBD »

Stevo wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:52 pm It should show up in the KDE Settings/Application Style and Behavior/Widget Style. When you set it there, you can then run Kvantum Manager from the Settings section of the main desktop's menu and set the specific Kvantum theme there, along with lots of other tweaks for it.
Yep, that's where it was hiding. KDE is the most layered desktop I've ever seen, there are only about 3 ways to do everything :)
Thanks!

Adrian
Developer

#57 Post by Adrian »

I rebuilt my KDE respin with the latest MX-18 updates (It still displays at boot something about MX-17 but don't worry about that).
https://sourceforge.net/projects/adrian ... o/download

old_guy

#58 Post by old_guy »

I downloaded your newest KDE. Installed in Virtualbox. Updated and made a snapshot. When I tried to make a live usb, it found my usb, I selected the iso, hit next and it looped back to selecting an iso. That's as far as it would go.
Earl

fehlix
Developer

#59 Post by fehlix »

old_guy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:14 pm I downloaded your newest KDE. Installed in Virtualbox. Updated and made a snapshot. When I tried to make a live usb, it found my usb, I selected the iso, hit next and it looped back to selecting an iso. That's as far as it would go.
Earl
Is that iso within a shared VirtualBox folder ? If so you might copy it better into the VM.
BitJam made an update on live-usb-maker, which handles also those cases, not sure
whether it is already available within Adrian's respin.
:puppy:
EDIT:
Just checked, latest lum is already updated.
If the a ISO in a VBox shared folder you might add fuseiso package,
to get it working.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

old_guy

#60 Post by old_guy »

Installed fuseiso - NG (there was nothing wrong with the snapshot iso that was created, I copied it out from the KDE VM to the main/host system and could create a live usb with it). Just thought someone else could check to see if making a live usb in the KDE iso install continues to fail/loop. I used to like KDE, but have grown less and less fond of it, so I won't be playing with this unless someone wants something checked/verified.
Earl

Return to “MX Modified”