Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX(LX)Qt ??

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
kmathern
Developer

Re: MX(LX)Qt ??

#11 Post by kmathern »

asqwerth wrote:...added the mx repo and installed MX updater but it doesn't seem to be working on its own, as in if I leave it alone for a long time, it doesn't seem to run an update check. So the empty box icon never turns green on its own. I've changed mirrors a few times with no success. If I do an apt update in terminal, only then are updates detected and the icon turns green...
I took a look at this, it looks like I need to add anacron as a dependency, it's not a problem in MX because it's already installed by default, but it's not in antiX.

I also found a problem that some of the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ files didn't get installed, though that might be because of how I'm installing the apt-notifier package. I don't have an actual install of antiX, on the LiveUSB I have a /antiX/deb/ folder with the apt-notifier .deb and the .debs of it's dependencies (and now also anacron), which installs the apt-notifier package during the LiveUSB boot, but not everything seems to get completely configured, I found I needed to run `sudo dpkg --configure -a` in the terminal after getting to the desktop. It adds the following files (and maybe some others).
demo@antix1:~
$ ls -l /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/
total 25
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 769 Sep 13 2017 01autoremove
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 1907 Mar 17 12:43 01autoremove-kernels
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 870 Apr 20 12:24 02periodic
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 164 Jan 21 2015 20apt-show-versions
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 80 Dec 11 2016 20auto-upgrades~
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4259 Apr 20 08:23 50unattended-upgrades
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 756 Apr 20 12:24 51unattended-upgrades-mx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 182 May 21 2017 70debconf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 224 Feb 7 2017 99-update-menus
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 276 Feb 7 2017 99-update-slim
Either of these commands also seem to fix problem with the missing /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ files.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure apt-notifier
OR

sudo bash /var/lib/dpkg/info/apt-notifier.postinst configure
I was planning on releasing a apt-notifier update this weekend, so with it I'll also add anacron as a dependency. There might still be some configuration issues though.

asqwerth
Developer

#12 Post by asqwerth »

oooooooh..... I'll test this out over the weekend.

Thanks!
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb »

@rover, Your image links do not work, Imgur links do work. I use linked bbcode from their site by copying it directly from the side panel that shows with your image page.
This is an image posted in that fashion.

Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

rover

#14 Post by rover »

@ richb Sir thank you for pointing this out to me . I apologize for any inconvenience i may have caused . Please understand that posting directly from imgur is uncharted territory for me , and this procedure escaped me completely .

Best Regards

rover

#15 Post by rover »

@ asqwerth My understanding is , and maybe i'm wrong , that xdotool simulates keystrokes via the terminal . In fact , i 've used it a few months ago , as part of a script to launch and minimize an app. If you can , please provide an example on how it can apply in this case.
I find that the ksuperkey approach is easier , at last for me , because i install it , run the command in terminal to activate , and add it to startup ,job done !

I found a solution for the window manager tweaks issue i had , with a package called obconf-qt , so now i can change window decorations.

I wiil try your icon pack suggestion and let you know how it went .

Best Regards

asqwerth
Developer

#16 Post by asqwerth »

I don't have an example, since I was just throwing ideas into the mix.

I use "xdotool key ctrl+alt+d" command as part of my bl-hotcorners settings to trigger "show desktop" in one corner of the screen. I was just wondering, since you had a problem with the superkey being bound to the menu, whether some other way could be found to trigger the menu.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

asqwerth
Developer

#17 Post by asqwerth »

kmathern wrote:
asqwerth wrote:...added the mx repo and installed MX updater but it doesn't seem to be working on its own, as in if I leave it alone for a long time, it doesn't seem to run an update check. So the empty box icon never turns green on its own. I've changed mirrors a few times with no success. If I do an apt update in terminal, only then are updates detected and the icon turns green...
I took a look at this, it looks like I need to add anacron as a dependency, it's not a problem in MX because it's already installed by default, but it's not in antiX.

I also found a problem that some of the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ files didn't get installed, though that might be because of how I'm installing the apt-notifier package. I don't have an actual install of antiX, on the LiveUSB I have a /antiX/deb/ folder with the apt-notifier .deb and the .debs of it's dependencies (and now also anacron), which installs the apt-notifier package during the LiveUSB boot, but not everything seems to get completely configured, I found I needed to run `sudo dpkg --configure -a` in the terminal after getting to the desktop. It adds the following files (and maybe some others).... [SNIP]

Either of these commands also seem to fix problem with the missing /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ files.

sudo dpkg --configure apt-notifier
OR

sudo bash /var/lib/dpkg/info/apt-notifier.postinst configure
I was planning on releasing a apt-notifier update this weekend, so with it I'll also add anacron as a dependency. There might still be some configuration issues though.
Well, I installed anacron from antiX's repos, but I had to refresh the repos before installing said package, so apt-notifier icon turned green anyway, so I won't be able to test whether the notifier will now run update checks on its own, until the next round of antiX updates.

BTW, I don't keep the MX repos enabled all the time, just in case it messes with the antiX packages.

I did check and my antiX /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ folder already had the files you said were missing for you (but yours is a live running system).

rover

#18 Post by rover »

@ asqwerth Ok i see . Thank you

Best Regards

rover

#19 Post by rover »

O.k. an update on the subject

So i was able to find window decorations for openbox in
https://www.box-look.org/browse/cat/140/ord/latest/

and complete this part of the theme

It also helps to install lxappearance , from lxde , but this a workaround that (as well as a number of other issues ) will be addressed by version 1.0

Concluding this experiment, lxqt needs some refining , but it's an interesting proposition , and well worth revisiting.

Best Regards

KBD

#20 Post by KBD »

LXQt is one of the most interesting DE's. I sometimes worry that Gnome will do something really stupid with GTK and cause downstream problems. If so, having a lightweight QT desktop will be nice.

Return to “MX Modified”