Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Using kwin

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
arjaybe

Using kwin

#1 Post by arjaybe »

This time (for MX-17) I'm trying to use just kwin instead of a full KDE. I've managed to install it, along with about a hundred other packages, through Synaptic, and to run it through lightdm. BTW, there doesn't seem to be a kdm any more. I see it in my MX-16, but can't find it in 17.

Having kwin running now, I'd like to be able to do some configuration, but systemsettings has only a few applications. What should I install?

I've searched the manual and the wiki, as well as the internet, but I still need help.
Green Comet
Space particles.

richb
Administrator

Re: Using kwin

#2 Post by richb »

I assume you installed systemsettings5. I had the same issues with minimal settings, and gave up and just installed KDE full with MXPI. I do not use KDE only XFCE but it filled out KDE system settings to use for those KDE apps I do use in XFCE. Thunar is OK but I cannot live without dolphin. With plenty of disk space I could afford the extra KDE packages.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

arjaybe

Re: Using kwin

#3 Post by arjaybe »

Synaptic didn't show me a systemsettings5, so I decided to install KDE Standard with MXPI. I'll see how it went next time I boot that partition.
Green Comet
Space particles.

Return to “MX Modified”