Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX Linux Mate Edition (Respin)

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
ldsemerchen

MX Linux Mate Edition (Respin)

#1 Post by ldsemerchen »

I don't know if this is acceptable for official MX policy to put such respin distro. on SourceForge?

SourceForge: Emer's Optimized MX Linux Mate Edition

https://sourceforge.net/projects/eomxlinux/

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX Linux Mate Edition (Respin)

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks for coming over to post this! Will be interesting to see how everybody reacts.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

skidoo

#3 Post by skidoo »

sf.net is currently "maintenance mode" when I visit. Did I read (yesterday) that a standout feature of "Emer's Optimized MX Linux Mate Edition" is input method support (Chinese)? I love what you're doing, but it will be confusing (and brand infringing) for the name of an unofficial respin to include the name of the parent distro.

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

Agree with skidoo.

I'm not comfortable with the current name of the iso project. "Optimised", "MX Linux Mate Edition" - these might confuse people.

I think it would be better if :

1) the description/name of iso makes clear this is a personal respin of MX with Mate installed, created using MX snapshot tools,
2) the description/name of iso makes clear this is not officially tested, authorised nor released under the banner of MX Linux itself.
3) "optimised" is removed from the title (how is it optimised?) but the writeup can explain the benefits of this spin.
4) the sourceforge account/project page should not be eomxlinux as MX Linux's name should not be part of it.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I will wait until the sourceforge page is back up.

However, I think its cool that someone has done a MATE respin.

As far as the name, if the OP replaced "Edition" with "Respin", I don't think there would be any confusion at all.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Eomxlinux doesn't roll trippingly off the tongue, either. But this is certainly the sincerest flattery!

Darn, I should do another respin so I can use some of those name suggestions.

As Not Seen on TV
Double Your Money Back If Not Completely Satisfied
Unsurpassable Linux version LII

Wow, SF is still down. Should we do some alternate uploads of MX to archive.org or are the mirrors OK?

ldsemerchen

#7 Post by ldsemerchen »

Thank you all for your advises. The original MX is excellent with xfce desktop, but for a lot of new Linux users in Chinese, xfce still lack of Chinese translation, so I only did replace 'xfce' with 'mate' and adjust desktop environment to represent suitable and beautiful look in Chinese including some pre-installed packages. Installed more Chinese fonts and Input method so the Chinese users can use MX live without installed it to computer.

Maybe I misunderstood the word 'optimized'. It followed a administrator's advise in Taiwan when he put my respin on his school's FTP server. What I mean is 'Chinese optimized' original. I will change the name when SF back. If you are interested to know what I have done, there is another download site as below. The default login name is 'lds' and password is '1qaz2wsx'.
How about 'MX Linux Mate respin with traditional Chinese optimization'? It's not my will to create a NEW distro.

Download:
https://lmdelive.wordpress.com/2017/11/ ... -mx-linux/

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

ldsemerchen wrote:Thank you all for your advises. The original MX is excellent with xfce desktop, but for a lot of new Linux users in Chinese, xfce still lack of Chinese translation, so I only did replace 'xfce' with 'mate' and adjust desktop environment to represent suitable and beautiful look in Chinese including some pre-installed packages. Installed more Chinese fonts and Input method so the Chinese users can use MX live without installed it to computer.

Maybe I misunderstood the word 'optimized'. It followed a administrator's advise in Taiwan when he put my respin on his school's FTP server. What I mean is 'Chinese optimized' original. I will change the name when SF back. If you are interested to know what I have done, there is another download site as below. The default login name is 'lds' and password is '1qaz2wsx'.
How about 'MX Linux Mate respin with traditional Chinese optimization'? It's not my will to create a NEW distro.

Download:
https://lmdelive.wordpress.com/2017/11/ ... -mx-linux/

:cool2:
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

ldsemerchen wrote:Thank you all for your advises. The original MX is excellent with xfce desktop, but for a lot of new Linux users in Chinese, xfce still lack of Chinese translation, so I only did replace 'xfce' with 'mate' and adjust desktop environment to represent suitable and beautiful look in Chinese including some pre-installed packages. Installed more Chinese fonts and Input method so the Chinese users can use MX live without installed it to computer. ...
Very cool.
...What I mean is 'Chinese optimized' original. I will change the name when SF back....How about 'MX Linux Mate respin with traditional Chinese optimization'? ...
Yes, that is very clear and self-explanatory.

And nice work on the webpage. :number1:
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

What has been added besides MATE to get the 64-bit ISO to 4 GB, though?

Return to “MX Modified”