Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Mx Linux With Cinnamon

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
Rita G.

Re: Mx Linux With Cinnamon

#11 Post by Rita G. »

Code: Select all

Click on the upper right of the login screen. It should show the desktops installed and select Cinnamon.
I don't have that.
I opted for autologin during installation. :frown:

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#12 Post by ChrisUK »

Rita G. wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:46 pm

Click on the upper right of the login screen. It should show the desktops installed and select Cinnamon.
I don't have that.
I opted for autologin during installation. :frown:
Just select Log out from the shutdown window... then choose the desktop and log back in
SD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Rita G.

#13 Post by Rita G. »

Just select Log out from the shutdown window... then choose the desktop and log back in
kewel! :cool:
Thank you Chris!
and you too Mauser! :wink:
Last edited by Rita G. on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#14 Post by Jerry3904 »

And you can change autologin of you want by using MX User Manager
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

koesherbacon

#15 Post by koesherbacon »

What did you mean when you said your cinnamon is lighter on the resources than original cinnamon? If I or anyone else were to `sudo apt install cinnamon`, we'd have the original cinnamon... right? So what else did you do in order to make your lower resources Diet Cinnamon?
〜 Ev

Adrian
Developer

#16 Post by Adrian »

koesherbacon wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:08 pm What did you mean when you said your cinnamon is lighter on the resources than original cinnamon? If I or anyone else were to `sudo apt install cinnamon`, we'd have the original cinnamon... right? So what else did you do in order to make your lower resources Diet Cinnamon?
I guess he means something else by "original cinnamon? Maybe he means older version?

BTW, I tried and liked how it looks, but when I returned to Xfce I felt like I'm at home. Also the difference between resource utilization between Xfce and Cinnamon is pretty significant, Cinnamon uses almost double the memory.

vamsi

#17 Post by vamsi »

koesherbacon wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:08 pm What did you mean when you said your cinnamon is lighter on the resources than original cinnamon? If I or anyone else were to `sudo apt install cinnamon`, we'd have the original cinnamon... right? So what else did you do in order to make your lower resources Diet Cinnamon?
Ya when i installed Linux Mint cinnamon it became very slow but when i installed cinnamon like that it is some what lighter than cinnamon at that time that is what iam talking about..

asqwerth
Developer

#18 Post by asqwerth »

That's probably because the Ubuntu base of Mint is heavier and slower than Debian base, that's all. Not that Cinnamon desktop is faster when installed manually.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

vamsi

#19 Post by vamsi »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:32 am That's probably because the Ubuntu base of Mint is heavier and slower than Debian base, that's all. Not that Cinnamon desktop is faster when installed manually.
Yes you are right!

Adrian
Developer

#20 Post by Adrian »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:32 am That's probably because the Ubuntu base of Mint is heavier and slower than Debian base, that's all. Not that Cinnamon desktop is faster when installed manually.
I would venture another explanation, because MX base is lighter than Mint base so if you load Cinnamon on top it will still be lighter, with Mint he probably hits some memory barriers on his system which makes the entire system slower.

Return to “MX Modified”