Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

QT5CT environment variable not set

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
kyle_a

QT5CT environment variable not set

#1 Post by kyle_a »

Hey guys n gals, I'm wondering how to set QT5CT as the main configuration tool for QT5 apps - when I run qt5ct from the terminal it will open up no problem, but when I try to open it from the menu it won't allow it & tells me the environment variable isn't set. "The QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME environment variable is not set correctly"

I'm using the LXDE desktop.
/etc/environment looks like:
BROWSER=/usr/bin/xdg-open
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct

& /etc/profile.d/qt5ct.sh looks like:
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct

This normally works on basic Debian installations. Why isn't this working here though? It'll work if I open up qt5ct & qt5 apps from the terminal, but it won't work from the menu.... What am I missing?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: QT5CT environment variable not set

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

there is a file in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ that controls the QT5CT environment variable.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

You can run it from the terminal with this, too:

Code: Select all

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct && qt5ct
You should be able to modify the launch command in the menu to also export that to the environment first, if you don't want to edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig file.

Did you mean LXQT instead of LXDE?

I also see there's a newer version in upstream Debian...I'll build that and see how it works out of the box.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

The new qt5ct still needed the environment variable command to run the first time, but after I changed the theme selection, it would start normally. But changing the theme in qt5ct had no effect on other Qt 5 apps. I think that the 98qtconfig file is still in charge, and you will have to change "gtk2" in that to "qt5ct", or move the file out of that folder altogether for LXQT.

kyle_a

#5 Post by kyle_a »

Stevo wrote:You can run it from the terminal with this, too:

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct && qt5ct
You should be able to modify the launch command in the menu to also export that to the environment first, if you don't want to edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig file.

Did you mean LXQT instead of LXDE?

I also see there's a newer version in upstream Debian...I'll build that and see how it works out of the box.

No, I said LXDE. I don't like LXQT at all. Not a fan! Its full of bugs & things won't work the way I want them to, plus the GUI configuration windows are such a mess. Strongly dislike LXQT & will be even more mad if distros try to replace LXDE with LXQT. With LXDE I can just use QT5CT & it will look like my GTK2 / 3 stuff, that's the way I like it.

I've used that command - it doesn't make things from the menu change though!! Only things that are launched from the terminal will work with QT5CT properly! Why is the menu different?
Just try changing the icons & then open up a web browser or something from the menu & you'll see the icons aren't changing.

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

I am going to move this thread to MX Modified as it pertains to lXDE not the default XFCE.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

kyle_a

#7 Post by kyle_a »

Stevo wrote: You should be able to modify the launch command in the menu to also export that to the environment first, if you don't want to edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig file.
How would I modify it? What would that look like?
I've installed AntiX & that file doesn't exist(but neither does this problem), but I am making note of it in case for some reason I end up back on MX or Debian.
Thanks.

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

We ship the 98qtconfig file with MX so that Qt 5 applications automatically follow the XFCE gtk themes. This makes everything have the same themes without qt5ct. It seems you want the same setup in LXDE, so it should work the same way as in MX. LXDE is GTK, so without that file, qt5ct is only going to affect qt5 applications, and LXDE will go on its merry way if you don't set it to gtk2.

penguin

#9 Post by penguin »

Stevo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:00 pm We ship the 98qtconfig file with MX so that Qt 5 applications automatically follow the XFCE gtk themes. This makes everything have the same themes without qt5ct. It seems you want the same setup in LXDE, so it should work the same way as in MX. LXDE is GTK, so without that file, qt5ct is only going to affect qt5 applications, and LXDE will go on its merry way if you don't set it to gtk2.
I can't resolve this problem. I have tried but still my terminal shows :

$ echo $QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME
gtk2

In my MX Linux 21 the 98qtconfig seems that missing,

The old trick that I used before to start apps from edit menu, used for showfoto >> QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk3 showfoto (taken from this forum) works only when starts terminal. Similar entry in the edit menu entry gives error "Failed to execute child process", even when I change mod by Chmod 0766 to this file.

System:    Host: <filter> Kernel: 5.10.0-10-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
           parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-10-amd64 
           root=UUID=<filter> ro quiet splash 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 tk: Gtk 3.24.24 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 
           Distro: MX-21_x64 Wildflower October 20  2021 base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 2170p v: A1028C1100 
           serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1815 v: KBC Version 63.1C serial: <filter> 
           BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68IMT Ver. F.72 date: 04/11/2019 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3427U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Ivy Bridge 
           family: 6 model-id: 3A (58) stepping: 9 microcode: 21 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 bogomips: 18356 
           Speed: 1184 MHz min/max: 800/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1137 2: 1132 3: 1111 
           4: 1162 
           Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: VMX unsupported 
           Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion 
           Type: mds mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable 
           Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI 
           Type: spec_store_bypass 
           mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp 
           Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
           Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, 
           STIBP: conditional, RSB filling 
           Type: srbds status: Vulnerable: No microcode 
           Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 
           v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0166 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) v: 4.2 Mesa 20.3.5 
           compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:1e20 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-10-amd64 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e 
           v: kernel port: 2060 bus ID: 00:19.0 chip ID: 8086:1502 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi v: kernel 
           port: 2040 bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 8086:0085 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 140.43 GiB used: 51.45 GiB (36.6%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT120BX500SSD1 size: 111.79 GiB block size: 
           physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: R013 scheme: MBR 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra USB 3.0 size: 28.64 GiB 
           block size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B serial: <filter> rev: 1.00 scheme: MBR 
Partition: ID-1: / raw size: 29.02 GiB size: 28.44 GiB (98.00%) used: 17.19 GiB (60.4%) fs: ext4 
           dev: /dev/sda6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0 C mobo: 0.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/atom.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
           1: deb http://debian.ipacct.com/debian/ bullseye-updates non-free contrib main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
           1: deb http://debian.ipacct.com/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free
           2: deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth-pro.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list 
           1: deb https://mxlinux.ipacct.com/MX-Packages/mx/repo/ bullseye main non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/softmaker.list 
           1: deb http://shop.softmaker.com/repo/apt/ stable non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/ stable main
Info:      Processes: 234 Uptime: 22m Memory: 7.64 GiB used: 1.40 GiB (18.4%) Init: SysVinit 
           v: 2.96 runlevel: 5 default: 5 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 alt: 10 Shell: quick-system-in 
           running in: quick-system-in inxi: 3.0.36 

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

the variables are currently set in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/56xfce4-qtconfig
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “MX Modified”