Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX look and certain apps on Debian

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
CrimsonCoder420

MX look and certain apps on Debian

#1 Post by CrimsonCoder420 »

A week ago I found, dowloaded, and installed MX17 to my 500gb HDD 4gb RAM HP 2000. Immediately I loved how it looked and how many useful MX applications there were, but after downloading some essential development software and using the os for a couple days it became slow.
So now I have installed Debian itself unto my laptop and I am trying to get the same look, especially the panel on to Debian, along with certain MX applications. I have already added the MX repository to the sources list and I have installed xfce. So how do I get the awesome af looking panel?

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX look and certain apps on Debian

#2 Post by Stevo »

Well, at least someone likes the panel as shipped!

The default looks are in several MX-specific packages, and dolphin_oracle and the mx-tweak package can probably get you set up on Debian, but it's of concern that you say MX slowed down after a couple of days. Did you notice any extra CPU use in Conky when the slowdowns occurred?

vamsi

#3 Post by vamsi »

I once installed Debian Jessie and observed it is very slow and shifted back to MX Linux it is kind of strange you went back to debian
By the way what are your system species ?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

MX-17 became slow after use? Huh.

You're going to need to learn how and where Xfce is customized, I guess, and then look through our settings for what you want.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

CrimsonCoder420

#5 Post by CrimsonCoder420 »

Sooooo it's not possible? I don't believe I saw any extreme amounts of CPU usage, other then the normal spikes when opening Intellij.

vamsi

#6 Post by vamsi »

CrimsonCoder420 wrote:Sooooo it's not possible? I don't believe I saw any extreme amounts of CPU usage, other then the normal spikes when opening Intellij.
What is inxi -F output ?

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

And what exactly do you mean by slow? Was it taking a long time to open an application or the whisker menu, for example? Perhaps removing applications that you never use could speed things up...

Some people with slow machines reported that the default Papirus iconset can lead to some slowdowns, but switching to a bitmap icon theme solves that.

CrimsonCoder420

#8 Post by CrimsonCoder420 »

Yes it would would take a while to open applications and things would freeze. Instead of removing applications I was going to install the ones I wanted on to the Debian system.

CrimsonCoder420

#9 Post by CrimsonCoder420 »

vamsi

#10 Post by vamsi »

What 4 gb Ram And your system species are good and what kind of programs do you use i think MX Linux will run like horse on your machine

Return to “MX Modified”