Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Unable to install Gnome

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
tkonicz

Unable to install Gnome

#1 Post by tkonicz »

I cannot install Gnome (the Full desktop) from Debian stable. gnome-core is dependent on Iceweasel (firefox esr, I guess), but Firefox 54 is installed. Any chances to fix it?

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: Unable to install Gnome

#2 Post by timkb4cq »

Well, the easiest way is to first install iceweasel. This will replace firefox 54.0 with firefox-esr 52.2 and allow gnome to be installed.

gnome-core is a metapackage, meaning it has no programs of its own, just dependencies that cause other packages to be installed.
That means that once you have gnome installed, you are free to remove gnome-core, iceweasel & firefox-esr if you wish without removing any gnome functionality. You can then re-install firefox.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

tkonicz

#3 Post by tkonicz »

ok, thanks, sounds good.

Greetings, tom

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I suggest the gnome option uner Window Manager in Mx-packageinstaller. gnome is a bugger to get installed, and requires gdm to be installed.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

tkonicz

#5 Post by tkonicz »

Hello, I already got it running quite nicely - as suggested by thinkb4cq. It runs nearly perfect. I will stay with it. No need for gdm, as far as I see it.
I mean gdm got installed, but I do not use it.

Greetins, tom

Return to “MX Modified”