MX16 Graphical interface/mouse problem

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
Stevo
Developer

Re: MX16 Graphical interface/mouse problem

#11 Post by Stevo »

I downloaded the iso
Yes, I was trying to get the file name of that ISO you downloaded. Do you still have it, or only have the DVD?

Do you have KDE installed, or did you mean the default XFCE desktop? None of my KDE respins have May in the file name, and there is some tweaking necessary if you add KDE yourself to MX 16.

Also, if you have a hardware issue, the standard procedure involves giving us the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -F
from the start.

Toastrack

#12 Post by Toastrack »

1. I have managed just to look at the output of inxi -F, but cannot capture it in the present situation other than to photograph the screen, which I have done.

I think the info you need is probably
Distro: MX-16_x64 Metamorphosis 12 December 2016
System: Viglen DQ35JO
Intel Core 2 duo E8500 (-MCP-) Cache 6144MB

2. I must be using the default XCFE desktop as I have not changed anything there. I had wrongly assumed that KDE was the the default.

I am hoping that, if someone can tell me which file to edit, I might be able to run using the live dvd and hopefully edit the relevant file to what is required. Failing that I think yet another re-install is going to be the only way out.

Thinking back, I now think that what has caused the mouse problem may be that while the installation was proceeding, instead of just getting the conventional coffee, I used the KVM switch to go over to the Win machine, and so the installing distro failed to see and recognise the mouse, simply seeing some sort of passive termination. Evidently a big mistake on my part, and a lesson learned.

Toastrack

#13 Post by Toastrack »

I think I have found the cause of the problem.
So once again it's Thank You to all who offered help, and this thread can be regarded as closed.
It seems the problem was something to do with a faulty PS2-to-USB adaptor wich somehow caused the OS to see the mouse as a barcode reader instead of a mouse - hence the jittering of the display when I moved the mouse, presumably it was trying to scan.
Replacing the mouse with a USB wireless mouse enabled a clean re-install and now smooth operation of MX16. :happy:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#14 Post by Jerry3904 »

Faulty hardware is tough to diagnose, especially remotely--so good job!

Can you please go to your first post, edit it and put [Solved} or something similar in the subject box.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “MX Modified”