MX and Dolphin

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
Topher

Re: MX and Dolphin

#11 Post by Topher »

Oops, this my be an xfce vs KDE thing. I am referring to a set-up that is running xfce. I downloaded some KDE apps in order for that person to be able to use those apps instead of the standard ones. Maybe I shouldn't have done that.

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb »

I essentially did the same thing, and it works well in most cases. But I never did solve the trash full problem.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Topher

#13 Post by Topher »

I have to return this computer tomorrow, so I'll have to explain this to her so she won't think something is wrong. she can choose to just use Thunar and not see the message.

joany

#14 Post by joany »

Topher wrote: When I RC on that icon on my desktop, I don't see anything about a size limit. All I get is to Open the file, Empty the trash or Applications. I got that icon by going to Desktop Settings -> Icon Tab -> Checking the Trash Icon.
With KDE, the Trash can is a "widget" like a Clock widget or a Weather widget. You have to add the Trash can widget to the desktop (unless your distro already added it by default).

If your friend is using an xfce desktop, the Trash container setup may be slightly different although the contents are located in ~/.local/share/Trash/files/ as Utopia stated. The reason you can't find the size limit setting for Trash is because you don't have the KDE Trash widget.

Although you can use Dolphin in xfce, the xfce Trash icon isn't the same as the KDE Trash widget, which may be why Dolphin thinks it's "full." I doubt that it's possible to install KDE widgets on an xfce desktop, so your friend might have to "delete" files in Dolphin instead of sending them to the Trash can. You might be able to configure Dolphin to use the xfce Trash can, but I wouldn't know how.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

richb
Administrator

#15 Post by richb »

Is that true needing the trash can widget? A trash folder shows in Dolphin Places on a normal KDE install, and move to trash shows in a right click on any file.

By the way this thread belongs in the newly created MX Modified sub-forum. I will move the thread when time permits.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Jerry3904
Administrator

#16 Post by Jerry3904 »

By the way this thread belongs in the newly created MX Modified sub-forum.
Dolphin=KDE, no?

Oh wait, it's not a KDE installation, just an addition of Dolphin. Right you are.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#17 Post by richb »

Jerry3904 wrote:
By the way this thread belongs in the newly created MX Modified sub-forum.
Dolphin=KDE, no?
In this case only Dolphin was added, not the full KDE desktop. Solutions will be different if the full KDE desktop is not installed in my direct experience. In my opinion the thread does not belong in the KDE Forum.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Jerry3904
Administrator

#18 Post by Jerry3904 »

Right, I already changed my post and agreed with you.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

joany

#19 Post by joany »

richb wrote:Is that true needing the trash can widget? A trash folder shows in Dolphin Places on a normal KDE install, and move to trash shows in a right click on any file.
Not sure about "needing" the KDE Trash can widget, but it does have a Size Limit setting, and Dolphin might check for permission to load files into Trash. Without the widget, Dolphin might not see "permission granted" and assume the trash is full. Just a guess.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Topher

#20 Post by Topher »

Well I don't quite know how it happened, but she can move files to the trash can with Dolphin. When I tried to show her the error message she would get so she wouldn't panic, she didn't get the error and the file went into the trash. I have no idea what I did to make it work, but it works now.

Return to “MX Modified”