BLaM#!: BunsenLabs Openbox (Lithium) on MX19 (Debian Buster-base)

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
manyroads

BLaM#!: BunsenLabs Openbox (Lithium) on MX19 (Debian Buster-base)

#1 Post by manyroads »

(I have cross-posted this on both MX and BunsenLabs Forums).

For those who are interested in having a version of BunsenLabs (Lithium) running on MX19, I have begun work on that task. It is doubtful that I will ever 'fully' complete the task without the help of others. I will be able to build something to my liking but probably not to yours without your inut and assistance. If you are interested in helping, you can jump right in and contribute in this thread.

By way of status update, thus far I have installed and implemented a basic version of the current pre-alpha (experimental) BunsenLabs materials (per their guidance) on MX19b3. Images are available here:

To create a version on your MX19b3 installation, add this line to your apt sources (/etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list) :

Code: Select all

##BunsenLabs Experimental
deb https://kelaino.bunsenlabs.org/~johnraff/debian lithium main 
To build a version of BunsenLabs (Lithium- experimental) on MX19b3 you simply need to enter the following commands in terminal mode:

Code: Select all

wget https://kelaino.bunsenlabs.org/~johnraff/helium-dev.asc
sudo cp helium-dev.asc /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends bunsen-meta-all
Among the Major tasks that need to be accomplished are:

- removal of the few systemd dependencies. On MX they probably do not need to be removed if you run using systemd.
- thorough testing for breakage(s) needs to be conducted. I have just begun those (for the features I use).
- transition to and testing on the released version of MX19

antiX19 Note:
I may or may not undertake the same task for antiX19. My initial testing indicates that moving BunsenLabs Lithium to antiX19 may be a much larger task and more difficult to achieve than it is on MX19b3.

I think it would be much better if an antiX expert wants to lead that charge. For now at least, I'll leave that for others.
Last edited by manyroads on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

Re: BunsenLabs Openbox (Lithium) on MX19 (Debian Buster-base)

#2 Post by manyroads »

Here is an image of Lithium on running on mx19b3, with yad logout and new background.

Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

manyroads wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:17 pm My initial testing indicates that moving BunsenLabs Lithium to antiX19 may be a much larger task and more difficult to achieve than it is on MX19b3.

I think it would be much better if an antiX expert wants to lead that charge. For now at least, I'll leave that for others.
That's because BunsenLabs, like the vast majority of Debian base distros, uses systemd.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

anticapitalista wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:21 pm [...]
That's because BunsenLabs, like the vast majority of Debian base distros, uses systemd.
You are correct. Actually the only systemd dependency I have found is with their logout button. I replaced that with a yad script and everything works well. I am able to run the entire BL Lithium setup on mx19b3, without systemd. Perhaps though the new mx systemd shim is doing something invisible to me ... I'm easily fooled by magic tricks... ;)

In Lithium, they have built a beautiful new desktop with OB.
Pax vobiscum,

anticapitalista
Developer

#5 Post by anticapitalista »

manyroads wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:29 pm
You are correct. Actually the only systemd dependency I have found is with their logout button. I replaced that with a yad script and everything works well. I am able to run the entire BL Lithium setup on mx19b3, without systemd. Perhaps though the new mx systemd shim is doing something invisible to me ... I'm easily fooled by magic tricks... ;)

They are using systemd as the default init. MX has systemd as init ,but not set as default. antiX does not and will not have systemd at all, which means BunsenLabs on antiX is a no go.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

anticapitalista wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:35 pm
manyroads wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:29 pm

They are using systemd as the default init. MX has systemd as init ,but not set as default. antiX does not and will not have systemd at all, which means BunsenLabs on antiX is a no go.
Actually the devs at BunsenLabs say there are very few init dependencies in their setup, I think I have only seen one mentioned (BL-exit their Logout). I am running MX19b3 without systemd and things boot and run fine; lightdm on MX fires up Openbox just fine as well. antiX19b3 boots with BL Lithium, however it chokes when SLIM tries to run BL Lithium OpenBox. I'll look into it further. I don't think there's a major problem, it's just that I'm way out of my league debugging this sort of issue. I'm more of a crash & hack kind of guy. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#7 Post by manyroads »

@anticapitalista... whoo- rah. BunsenLabs is now running on antiX19b3. It booted cleanly and is operational. I needed to clean off all the standard desktops, slim and replace the display manager with lightdm. Tada! :number1:

I'll begin working on building an antiX19 version of BunsenLabs Lithium as well as the one for MXLinux19b3.
Pax vobiscum,

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wouldn't it be simpler to just run the install script? It should be able to add the BL stuff alongside MX.

EDIT: sorry, that's probably what you did. Ignore me, I'm tired :coffee:
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:10 pm Wouldn't it be simpler to just run the install script? It should be able to add the BL stuff alongside MX.

EDIT: sorry, that's probably what you did. Ignore me, I'm tired :coffee:
Mostly it is... rest well my friend. :crossfingers:
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#10 Post by manyroads »

Details for the installs (tutorial) on MX & antiX are available here: :needcoffee:

http://eirenicon.org/getting-bunsenlabs ... a-journey/
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “MX Modified”